Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4, 2010, 07:16 AM
Rookie

Default Cant decide which Raven

Hi

It is my first post here so Hi :)

Anyway I am having trouble choosing between which Raven to get. I like the RV01 more (it seems to have more features), but I need other people's opinion. Basically what I am looking for is a quiet case. I am running an I7 920 in the case (CPU Cooler is a Hyper 212+, going to get a better one sometime soon) anda a GTX 275.

Anyway prices for me are a bit different because I am in Australia.

The RV01 is $219 and the RV02 is $195.

Anyway, any suggestions would be great
Old April 4, 2010, 10:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

I'm just finishing a client build in the RV02 and its a joy to work with. Only problem is that there might be an issuing mounting any cards bigger than the 5850 (Toxic) I put it. I think some people have put in 5870(s), but this 5850 particularly has the two 6pin at the end - I almost couldn't get the cables to fit in with it (you can see this in the build log I put up). Luckily, they did get in no problem The stock 180mm fans also run pretty quiet when at the "low" setting.

I can't speak for the RVo1, as I have never used one before.
Old April 4, 2010, 10:21 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

To me it seems that both have their perks and downsides, so you should probably base your judgment off these pros/cons and which one you think looks best.

RV01:
Bigger: bigger interior section with more space for longer graphics cards, more space for HDD's, etc.
Better Hard Drive compartment design allowing better cable management and up to 6 HDD's (twice as many as the RV01) + the RV02 has a hot swappable drive bay.
Has a GPU retaining bar

RV02:
Better PSU area (on the right top side instead of the bottom)
Superior cooling (there are three 180mm fans sucking in cold air from the bottom of the chassis instead of two)
CPU backplate cut-out area
8 PCI slots

I'd still pick the RV01 because it looks really cool IMO. Mostly it just comes down to personal preference. Both are terrific cases.
Old April 4, 2010, 11:57 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Tough choice. They're both nice cases for different reasons. I think nickpolyz explains it well except the RV01 does have 6 HDD bays and includes one as hot swappable by default. You can get more adapter kits to make them any or all H-S if you want. I turned three of my bays into hot swaps. The only caveat is the side panel has to be removed first. The GPU retention bar is a neat idea but obstructs the windowed view of the interior if that's a thing for you. I don't bother using it. I too prefer the look of the RV01 and extremely happy with this case. I am considering a second case for another build and may opt for the RV02 if I decide against the Corsair 800D.
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old April 4, 2010, 01:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal2Noise View Post
Tough choice. They're both nice cases for different reasons. I think nickpolyz explains it well except the RV01 does have 6 HDD bays and includes one as hot swappable by default. You can get more adapter kits to make them any or all H-S if you want. I turned three of my bays into hot swaps. The only caveat is the side panel has to be removed first. The GPU retention bar is a neat idea but obstructs the windowed view of the interior if that's a thing for you. I don't bother using it. I too prefer the look of the RV01 and extremely happy with this case. I am considering a second case for another build and may opt for the RV02 if I decide against the Corsair 800D.
x2

I love my RV01, it's all about preference. It has awesome features and stellar cooling, as does the RV02. I just love the look of the RV01.
Old April 4, 2010, 02:22 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I love my RV01. While there may be an extra fan on the 02, cooling is so good in the ravens that you shouldn't make that the deciding factor. Just make sure you get some LONG sata cables! The extra drive bays and hot swapping are nice and you can probably fit a 5870 in the 01 no problem.

When you upgrade that CM 212+ with another cooler, if you go with the RV01 you can pretty much fit anything in there. I have the massive Mugen II in mine and it's not even a tight fit. Once I'm back in town for a bit I plan on putting a prolimatech in mine
Old April 4, 2010, 04:14 PM
Rookie

Hi guys.

Thank you very much for the help :).

I am still leaning towards the RV01 more. I am just also wondering about two things. Is it really 660mm long, or is that including all of the pointy bits and is cooling much of a difference between the RV01 and the RV02.
Old April 4, 2010, 04:44 PM
MVP

My System Specs

RV02 is $165.55. PM from Buy Silverstone Technology [RV02B-W] Silverstone RV02B-W Raven 2 Black ATX Gaming Case 8X5.25 3X3.5INT 1X2.5INT No PS at NCIX and use $10 shipping promo ($10 gift card = free ground shipping for an entire order). But I think RV01 looks more aggressive...similarly, RV01 for $201 here : Buy Silverstone Technology [RV01B-W] Silverstone Raven RV01B-W Black E-ATX Case 5X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS W/ Window. PM @ NCIX and use $10 shipping promo.
Old April 4, 2010, 05:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
I love my RV01. While there may be an extra fan on the 02, cooling is so good in the ravens that you shouldn't make that the deciding factor. Just make sure you get some LONG sata cables! The extra drive bays and hot swapping are nice and you can probably fit a 5870 in the 01 no problem.

When you upgrade that CM 212+ with another cooler, if you go with the RV01 you can pretty much fit anything in there. I have the massive Mugen II in mine and it's not even a tight fit. Once I'm back in town for a bit I plan on putting a prolimatech in mine
I got a 5870 in mine, pic to follow :)

There's a good 2" between the bottom of the card and there, so this case can handle a 5970 me thinks.
Old April 5, 2010, 09:08 AM
Top Prospect

honestly, i think you'll get tired of the rv01 look and start to find it looking childish/ugly down the line. i would pick rv02 :)