Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2010, 03:35 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Should I buy additional fans?

Hi everyone,

I just bought the Obsidian 800D case, it's on its way to my home, probably going to arrive on tuesday or so due to holidays. Anyway... to my question:

Should I buy additional fans for this case? I am eventually moving to WC in a few months time (probably in the fall) but for now I am just on air cooling. Should I buy more fans for the 800D and would my setup be ok as is?

Thanks
Old April 1, 2010, 03:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I personally have never been a fan of stock cooling options on cases.
My vote would be yes for sure.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 1, 2010, 04:54 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Any suggestions? I've been looking at the Nexus 120mm Silent
Old April 1, 2010, 04:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Do you prefer Silence to Performance?

Led to Non-LED?

I have played with so many Fans.

For 120mm I go with two tried favorites. Gelid for Silence, Coolermaster R4 for Performance. There are many other good options too but those two are first on my list.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old April 1, 2010, 05:37 PM
Banned

If you do not care about looks....I LOVE the Noctua fans!!!! Silent and EXCELLENT performance!!!!
Old April 1, 2010, 06:04 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I really like those Coolermasters R4, pretty good?
Old April 1, 2010, 07:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Love them. I've purchased 60+ now for client builds.

They do make a distinct noise at high speed, more so on side panels than actual case components. If you are not a fan of noise, a Fan Controller would be ideal. Me personally, I love them. Only issue is the choice to use a Sleeve Bearing vs an FDB. But since NCIX warranties them personally for 1 year, its a non-issue. I've done 5 RMA's on them (Not bad for 60+ purchased) and NCIX has replaced all of them, without me paying a cent of shipping.

ST

Old April 1, 2010, 07:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I went with this one: NCIX.com - Buy Scythe Kaze Server 5.25IN Bay Mountable 4 Channel Fan Controller Backlit LCD Display Fan Temp Black - KS01-BK In Canada.
Old April 1, 2010, 07:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

To be Honest on that Controller, I feel its two weak for your needs.

Espically if you connect R4's which are 4.2W a piece. And depending on how you read that controller its either 12W per channel, or 12W total. If its 12W total its a waste. At 12W per channel you might be okay.

NCIX.com - Buy Lamptron FC5 5.25IN Bay 4 Channel Fan Controller Black - FC-FC5-B In Canada.

I've played with many Controllers. And after only 2 days of ownership I think this is worth the investment.

ST

Old April 1, 2010, 07:51 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yeah I looked at that one too but wasn't in stock. I saw some reviews of both controllers and I was convinced the one I bought is sufficient, hope so!