Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 2, 2010, 09:18 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by poldo View Post
hi everyone, i just signed up to say that the honeycomb grills on the 180mm fans are there to consistently direct airflow upwards rather than the air move about the case, protection is secondary (holes are too big for screws not to fit in). there's a link about a study on using different fan grill designs and as far directing airflow, the honeycomb grill works best. 'can't find the link though. :(

ninja edit:

found it!

Nexus | BeamAir | Get the best out of your fans !!!
Very interesting. I would buy a few of them to try out but I can't find those anywhere.
Old February 2, 2010, 06:46 PM
MVP

Another great review, you folks have a gift and are glad you here. Well it is looking like the vertical pci concept (post I made) is starting to catch on, at least with Silverstone. I am designing my own vertical case hope to get it built before they release another one.
Old February 2, 2010, 06:53 PM
Banned
F@H

Ya good review.... problem...it's just that I ate those good case review.... don't you find I have enough case...and now I want this one too.
Old February 2, 2010, 09:39 PM
MVP

I would buy this case if they put the window in the normal side. Having the computer on my left to see the window simply will not work with my room layout.
Old February 9, 2010, 12:51 AM
Rookie

Excellent review! Very comprehensive and clear. Also the first one I've noticed that points out the issue with the VGA/DVI adapter, which would affect me, but when I finally buy this case, I will most probably have upgraded from this epic Sony CRT. I guess I could always just leave the top off, although I'm sure that would allow more dust/pet hair to fall into the case. My plan is to buy 3 of those higher rpm Silverstone fans (SST- FM181) to replace the bottom ones. I don't know if they can be hooked up to the top fan speed switches, but it won't matter since they have their own speed controllers. I also plan to replace the top 120mm fan with a Noctua NF-S12B FLX. All that coupled with a Noctua NH-D14 with 3 fans and my case should be nice and chilly. I like the idea too of not installing the I/O shield and just using screws to mount the PSU. Keep up the great work!
Old February 9, 2010, 02:14 AM
Rookie

I was a bit disappointed at the lack of video review but solid written review nonetheless. I guess we're spoiled by video reviews on cases now.
Old February 9, 2010, 01:55 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Having read the review and really enjoyed it. I find myself wanting to ask questions about the actual amount of airflow coming out of the top of the case.
I just want to know if there was a significant and constant woosh of air or if it was more like a light blowing.
Also the way I am seeing the top cover aspect of the case. It seems like there would be a collection of hot air in between the top cover and the outside of the case.

Not sure if anyone will know but i just figured i would ask ..

Thanks
Old February 9, 2010, 03:35 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockthebox View Post
Having read the review and really enjoyed it. I find myself wanting to ask questions about the actual amount of airflow coming out of the top of the case.
I just want to know if there was a significant and constant woosh of air or if it was more like a light blowing.
Also the way I am seeing the top cover aspect of the case. It seems like there would be a collection of hot air in between the top cover and the outside of the case.

Not sure if anyone will know but i just figured i would ask ..

Thanks
It is much more like a gentle breeze than a constant woosh of air. The top cover is ventilated well enough so hot air won't be trapped there.
Old February 9, 2010, 05:42 PM
Top Prospect

I made a small video of mine to show the force the breeze from the top of the case:

YouTube - Silverstone Fortress FT02 Top Fan

It's just a tissue folded in half and taped down to the case on one end. And yes, those are 3.5" floppy disks in the background

Edit: changed to YouTube video instead of ImageShack video.

Last edited by zc1; February 9, 2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old February 19, 2010, 09:48 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
We have received an update from Silverstone. The changes will be made in the review shortly but I am posting the info here as well:

- The 180mm fan mounts are adaptable to 120mm size if need be
Does this require a separate adapter of some sort, or are there pre-existing holes for 120mm fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
- The drive trays are made out of industrial-grade nylon which makes them VERY hard to break. Basically, they look like plastic but they are not. ;)
Does the SSD adapter attach to the HDD caddy? And is that compatible with the hot-swap adapter? I have a 2.5" HDD that I want hot-swap.