Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Cases (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/)
-   -   Prepping a Case for Powder Coating? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/27985-prepping-case-powder-coating.html)

AmuseMe January 19, 2010 07:23 PM

Prepping a Case for Powder Coating?
 
I will be recieving my TJ07 withing aprx ten days and plan on doing a window mod (I got the kind without the window so I can make a more semetrical window - aligned with the bottom grill). I am also revearsing the motherboard and doing the BTX mod :thumb:

After that, it is off the the local powder coater, well the internals at least.

What procedures/ prep work do I need to do? i.e what do I do with all the screw holes? Wont the powdercoating clog them? Do I need to drill them out?

For those of you that have PCed your case, what did you do?

Thanks,
- Cody

lowfat January 19, 2010 07:29 PM

Silicone Plugs- Powder coat silicone plugs, silicone caps You need silicon plugs to plug the holes w/. This was my first google result so you may be able to kind them in smaller supply and cheaper. You can get the powdercoaters to do this. But obviously it will cost more for their labour.

SugarJ January 19, 2010 07:35 PM

Some PC'ers put the plugs in. Some don't. My TJ-07 was done at Charles_H's PC'er, it doesn't appear like he blocks the holes. It just makes it a little harder to start the standoffs/screws.

AmuseMe January 19, 2010 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 320591)
Silicone Plugs- Powder coat silicone plugs, silicone caps You need silicon plugs to plug the holes w/. This was my first google result so you may be able to kind them in smaller supply and cheaper. You can get the powdercoaters to do this. But obviously it will cost more for their labour.

Hm... I'll talk to the powder coater and see how much they charge for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarJ (Post 320592)
Some PC'ers put the plugs in. Some don't. My TJ-07 was done at Charles_H's PC'er, it doesn't appear like he blocks the holes. It just makes it a little harder to start the standoffs/screws.

I'll send Charles an email to see what he recomends.

Sushi Warrior January 19, 2010 07:53 PM

I think you could just use some thermal tape to do that, ordering plugs may not be necessary. AFAIK the case should be lightly sanded (400 grit maybe) but don't quote me on that.

lowfat January 19, 2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior (Post 320605)
AFAIK the case should be lightly sanded (400 grit maybe) but don't quote me on that.

Case doesn't need to be sanded.

Sushi Warrior January 20, 2010 04:26 AM

OK my bad but doesn't the stock paint need to be sanded off (TJ07 doesn't have any though, right?)?

AmuseMe January 20, 2010 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior (Post 320707)
OK my bad but doesn't the stock paint need to be sanded off (TJ07 doesn't have any though, right?)?

Correct :thumb:

SugarJ January 20, 2010 10:29 AM

One thing I did was to make some cabling holes in the mobo tray. Make sure you do that before powdercoating.

AmuseMe January 20, 2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarJ (Post 320806)
One thing I did was to make some cabling holes in the mobo tray. Make sure you do that before powdercoating.

I did email Charles about cable management and he said the only holse he made was for the 8-pin EPS. Although, yours looks clean as heck too :thumb:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:42 AM.