Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 17, 2010, 10:53 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Noise Dampening Material?

Hi there, I have a few questions regarding noise dampening material for cases.

I have an Antec 300 cases with 4 case fans (2x120mm intake, 120mm & 140mm exhaust) and a OCZ Vendetta (92mm) CPU cooler. With all these fans (especially the CPU cooler) my case is noticeably noisy even when at idle. I'm replacing some of the case fans with quieter models but I'm also thinking about getting a noise dampening kit (ex: Thermaltake A2384 Noise Dampening Kit)

Has anyone here used a product like this?

If so, did it make a noticeable difference?

Thanks!

~LazyNinja
Old January 17, 2010, 11:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have not used a product like that (I have a box of PAX.mate waiting to be used however) but I would suggest the material that MNPC carries. It is much better, true high quality product meant for more professional applications. That thermaltake crap is probably just some egg-crate foam. Get some stuff used for real applications like music studios or the like. Oh, and don't expect as big of a difference as found on other cases - the exposed fans on the 300's front and top will cause most of the noise anyways.
Old January 17, 2010, 12:05 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
I have not used a product like that (I have a box of PAX.mate waiting to be used however) but I would suggest the material that MNPC carries. It is much better, true high quality product meant for more professional applications. That thermaltake crap is probably just some egg-crate foam. Get some stuff used for real applications like music studios or the like. Oh, and don't expect as big of a difference as found on other cases - the exposed fans on the 300's front and top will cause most of the noise anyways.
What I was gonna say :P The stuff you buy that's designed for case's is usually a lot thinner and will not dampen noise as much as professional music studio stuff. It's about the same price for the professional stuff (or less) but a bit harder to find depending on where you live.

You may also want to look into anti-vibration materials such as screws and pads. Put the pads between the metal parts of your case and your components (ex: PSU, hard drives, CD/DVD drives, etc.) then replace all your screws with anti-vibration ones, especially your fan screws. This should help with the noise a lot too.

You could also replace your fans with some Noctua or Cooler Master ones that will make less noise while probably pushing equal or similar amounts of air.

Hope this helps!
Old January 17, 2010, 05:19 PM
MVP

one thing I've been personally looking at for a long while has been elemental designs edead paint
Elemental Designs
they also have mat material and pyramid studio panels Elemental Designs
Old January 17, 2010, 05:26 PM
MVP

lots of great info here
silentpcreview.com | Everything about Silent / Quiet Computers
Old January 17, 2010, 08:12 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for the input guys.

I went into Canada Computers the other day and opened a box of Thermaltake A2384. It's about a quarter inch thick and reminds me of the weather insulation strips you use on doors and windows. Could definitely be a bit thicker.

The sound proofing sheets at MNPC don't look like they're that much thicker but the actual material is probably different.

I also found some interesting stuff on FrozenCPU.com called AcoustiPack EXTRA but that would cost more as it would have to be shipped up from the States . . .

I'll look into buying some anti-vibration screws and mounting pads.

EDIT: Found a bunch of noise proofing material at performance-pcs.com that look promising. Again, shipping has to be taken into consideration.

Last edited by LazyNinja; January 17, 2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old January 18, 2010, 08:54 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I would suggest a fan controler. I have 11 x 120mm Noctuas and 2 x 80mm Gelids, they make a pretty noticeable vacum sound when at full speed. But, when I set them to half speed, my pump becomes the loudest component in my case once again.
Old January 23, 2010, 07:50 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

you could try FatMat - it's a product most commonly used in car audio / sound deadening systems. You can buy it in bulk on fleabay for about $50 (that will last many, many computer cases).

It isn't the easiest stuff to work with, but it does work. It's a foil dampener - so long as it's in the interior of the case (it's reflective-ish, silver looking) shouldn't have a problem.

I have it in my car.. now.. I haven't actually tried it in a case (yet) because I have pretty quiet fans already.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.