Old April 28, 2010, 03:39 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Some contact cement or double sided tape should do the trick
Old April 29, 2010, 04:26 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilocient View Post
Sorry, i forgot about that bit. You need to remove the front panel and remove the 5.25 in plate.

Check out this link.
Fractal Design Define R2 - reviewed by MetkuMods - Because you love your hardware!

They say you need to press the plastic pegs on the inside of the case to get them out, then the front panel should slide off. After that the standard front cover plate has 2 tabs on either side that you can push in and the plate will pop out.

As to installing from the inside or the outside, its up to you; either works, but when you get your motherboard+cooler in, it'll be quite tricky to go from the inside out, if its possible at all.
I tried pushing the black plastic pegs inside, but it's stuck. Are you sure that website is right? When you say plastic pegs, you're referring to the narrow object that goes through the holes at the front of the case right? If so, then I don't think you can push it out. It's stuck hard.
Old April 29, 2010, 05:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm pretty sure they mean you need to squeeze the tabs on the pegs together, but i've seen some videos where they just pull the front off.

YouTube - Fractal Design Front USB Wiring Repair Video for NCIX Customers Linus Tech Tips
Old May 25, 2010, 05:43 AM
Top Prospect

Does anyone here know when the replacement USB wires will be released? I'm assuming it'll be free from Ncix right?
Old May 25, 2010, 07:53 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Does anyone here know when the replacement USB wires will be released? I'm assuming it'll be free from Ncix right?
Already available. NCIX shipped it to all owners who already have the case on hand and is shipping the replacement cable along with every case sold for free.
Old May 25, 2010, 04:16 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant View Post
Already available. NCIX shipped it to all owners who already have the case on hand and is shipping the replacement cable along with every case sold for free.
I bought the case on the day that it was available. Ncix didn't notify me on the replacement cable being available. What do I have to do to get mine?
Old May 25, 2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I bought the case on the day that it was available. Ncix didn't notify me on the replacement cable being available. What do I have to do to get mine?
PM me your shipping info. I will arrange for one to be sent to you.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old May 25, 2010, 06:50 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
First, I need to make a comment about this case. I've been busy over the last couple of days so I couldn't finished building my computer. It's partially built at the moment, but one thing that is kind of pissing me off is how the bitumen material is coming off. My assumption is the lack of adhesive to hold the bitumen pieces in. Part of the bitumen pieces on the side panel and in the 5.25" bay area is partially loose. What do I do?
Spray adhesive sounds like a solution. Just don't expect it to ever come off again whether you want it to or not.
Old May 26, 2010, 04:20 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
PM me your shipping info. I will arrange for one to be sent to you.
Sent you the PM! Thx Linus!
Old June 11, 2010, 04:27 AM
Rookie

Talking "Fractal R2 Owner" Another Happy Canuck

Had been looking for a replacement case for my Media Centre PC which was housed in an Aspire X-QPACK I had modified to hold twice as many drives as it was supposed to. I found virtually all cases that hold 8+ drives cost $200+ or look like crap. Then I stumbled across the Fractal R2. I couldn't believe it was only $100 CDN. Other case designers should be ashamed. Considering the low cost, this case does not skimp on quality. From the first time you take it out of the shipping case and feel how heavy it is, you know this case is well constructed. Yea sure you may find that some of the sound dampening material may have peeled up at the edges... Sure you don't have this issue with other cases... they don't have sound dampening material. Just press it down and it will not come up again. No big deal IMHO. This is the first case I have worked on with drives mounted sideways. Personally I really like it. My final system has 1 DVD burner, 1 system drive in the other 5.25 slot, 8 data drives (total 16TB) and 5 motherboard RPM auto controlled fans. In a completely quite room, there is a gentle hum. If you turn on a movie or music even at low volume, the only way you can tell the system is on is the PWR light. Previous case with same setup, except less fans, was louder, the sound dampening features of this case realy work. When I build another system, this will be my case of choice.

With that said, just a few things to look out for...
  • Case comes with all the screws you will need, but the hard drive mounting screws although black to match the case, are of lower quality than stock screws. I broke 2-3 putting my drives in.
  • Although stuffing all cables through the gromits gives you a clean install with great airflow, you should plan ahead. If even a couple cables overlap, it makes closing the case difficult. If you plan on loading up on drives, you may want to forgo passing the 24pin motherboard power cable and a few other thicker cables through the gromit.
  • If you are a geek, like to surround yourself with your toys and much to your wife's dismay place your media centre PC in the bedroom... While this case camoflages well and looks sharp on a black shelf, the bright blue PWR LED can be a little distracting while watching movies or trying to get to sleep. I could have disconected the PWR LED, but opted to place a little strip of black electrical tape over all but the circle around the power button...problem solved.
With the flash in the attached picture, the case jumps out, but under normal lighting conditions, the case is virtually invisible in the black shelf.
Attached Images

Last edited by Phoenix2000; June 11, 2010 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Add Picture