Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 30, 2007, 04:53 PM
Top Prospect

Default What should I do to this case?

The other day at work someone dropped off a case for recycling, because the power supply was dead. So I grabbed it because I was looking for a mATX case, and it was free. Why not?
The case has a non standard screw hole placement, which really just means that I would have to come up with a small metal bracket to hold a mATX psu in place, or secure it with 2 screws instead of 4.
Unfortunately the case is also really ugly and has really poor cooling, 1x 5ish cm fan acting as an exhaust.

What I would like to do is mod the case a little, so I could get some better cooling performance out of it and give it a new coat of paint (probably black) to take away some of its uglyness.
I'm looking for a little guidance from the world of modding because I've never modded a case before. Plus I dont have an extensive workshop, being the only male in house severely limits the amount spent on tools and the like. But I do live within a few minutes of a Home depot, getting things should be fairly easy.

Any guidance, and ideas for some fairly easy and not too expensive mods?
Thanks in advance!

Here are some pics:
(Some pictures didn't like my batch resize job too much)

Old September 30, 2007, 05:06 PM
Top Prospect

I also forgot to mention that I am looking for a power supply for this case, the max size is about 5.5" L x 5.3" W x 3" H.
Anything around that size should work.

Thanks again!

Old September 30, 2007, 05:08 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I believe that is a non-standard size PSU housing. Be careful there.

Cut the fan grill at the back for better airflow, and resize the hole for an 80mm fan - if it fits.

Was the case dropped? Looking at the picture with the side panel off, the metal looks bent where the add-on card slots are.

Can't help you much more, I ain't no case modder.

And you must have a cat to mod a case. That is mandatory - looks like you're covered!

John
Old September 30, 2007, 06:13 PM
Top Prospect

The housing is very non-standard, but I grabbed a mATX PSU and found that I could mount it using 2 screws instead of 4. I could also make a small bracket out of wood or something that would make up for the random size of the housing.

The case was never dropped, its probably because I scaled down all of the pictures and some didn't like it very much. It's perfectly straight IRL, I swear!...

I was thinking of cutting a nice big hole on the side and mounting a 120mm fan on the outside of the case, blowing in.

One of the few good parts of the case is that it supports full sized expansion cards, rather than half sized ones like some mATX cases.

That would be my sisters cat, Summer. Shes cute most of the time, but she goes crazy sometimes and tries to bite and maim everything in sight, including me

Old September 30, 2007, 06:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

nice kitty, kitty, kitty...

damn, she looks like a killer with that look!

Before cutting anything, have all your parts ready and check for clearances, especially in a matx case. Nothing worse than adding a 120mm fan, only to find out it fouls with the HSF...
Old September 30, 2007, 06:37 PM
Top Prospect

Shes in a good mood in that picture, shes squinting because of the pre flash light on my camera.
I'll do some measuring in a few minutes to figure out my clearance. But first I need to see what I have laying around in the way of heatsinks to get an idea of different heights, because I dont know exactly what's going in there.

Have any CPU, MB and ram combos laying around that you would like to sell?

Old September 30, 2007, 06:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I just cleaned my stock to build a quick rig for my niece... I'm out of stock! You'd better start a new thread in the For sale / Looking to Buy section.
Old September 30, 2007, 07:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Before you go making too many plans with that case, I'd have a good look at the "non-standard" raised motherboard mounting points.

If even one of them is placed where a mounting screw wouldn't normally go, it'll short out the motherboard!!!!!

If it is truly non-standard, the best you'll be able to do is gut it and maybe save some of the angle-steel for future mods. :)

(Don't forget to grab the power & reset button harness.... nothing better for running your board outside of the case..... :) ).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 30, 2007, 07:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Damn. Didn't notice those raised mobo hardpoints.
Old September 30, 2007, 07:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Before you go making too many plans with that case, I'd have a good look at the "non-standard" raised motherboard mounting points.

If even one of them is placed where a mounting screw wouldn't normally go, it'll short out the motherboard!!!!!

If it is truly non-standard, the best you'll be able to do is gut it and maybe save some of the angle-steel for future mods. :)

(Don't forget to grab the power & reset button harness.... nothing better for running your board outside of the case..... :) ).
For any non standard points just lay down some black electrical tape and where there isn't one and you need one just use a plastic peg :P