Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 29, 2007, 07:41 PM
Rookie

Default Not Quite Modding - Tools Related

Ok here's a question about one of my most major annoyances in any builds. I'm sure you've all come across cases where because of clearance issues, you've had to deinstall a bunch of stuff to get at certain screws. Is anyone aware of a low profile, right angle tool that allows the use of interchangable bits (ie various philips head bits). Basically an "L" shapped piece that lets you get at screws where you have a minimum amount of clearance? I can't be bothered to remove my heatsink for the 8th time just to swap out some chassis fans.
Old September 29, 2007, 10:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yeah, the optional fan on my Sonata III is like that. Thank goodness for rubber mounting grommets.

I think I've seen what you're asking about. Basically just a set of L-keys with Phillips heads on them. They're easy to find with hex and Torx, but every now and then, you see one with Phillips heads on them. Your best bet would probably be a large Canadian Tire or Princess Auto. Those will let you work with about 1-1.5" of clearance.

A ghetto option is to take a regular screwdriver, and use a vice and some heat to bend it at a right angle. You'll never get the screw-driver straight again, though.

Yet another option is to take a ratchetting wrench with a 1/4" inside diameter, and use it to turn a generic driver bit. If the bit is too tall, you can chop the top off to shorten it. The only problem is applying enough pressure from above to keep the bit from slipping in the screw (God bless Robertson screws).

There's always rubber mounting grommets to consider, although sometimes you have to grind out the corners of the fan so that they're compatible.
Old September 30, 2007, 08:27 AM
JayDee

Can you mount the fan on the outside (back) of the case?

It would then pull the air out instead of pushing it out but it would make it easier in the future.