Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Cases (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/)
-   -   Painting my Cosmos S (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/26813-painting-my-cosmos-s.html)

ImmaPC December 19, 2009 02:12 AM

Painting my Cosmos S

First of all, I'd like to preface this by saying that this is my first time painting pretty much anything. Oh wait, except for when I made this little wooden version of the Parthenon in 6th grade. Meh. Anyway, Please, Please, PLEASE excuse my ultra-noob questions. If I prod or question anyone here alot it's not because I think I know it all, it will most likely be out of curiosity or to make damn sure I do things right.

I posted this here because I didn't think this has enough merit to be called a worklog. I'm only going to be painting and this doesn't involve any modding whatsoever, unless you count painting as modding. Nonetheless here we go.

I thought I would prepare for this ahead of time. I haven't used my machine in a week and I wanted something to do. So I gutted my system and removed about everything in/on/apart of my Cosmos S, except for the plastic side paneling. No, not the side-panels, I mean the plastic parts where the metal bars seem to stick out of. There's like 80 tabs you have to push in simultaneously...anyone have any tips? I'll get pics up tomorrow so you can get a better idea.

As for paint, I'm gonna paint it a nice, matte black. I'm gonna be using straight-up spray paint, I don't have a paint gun or anything. I'm only going to be painting the INSIDES. I like the smokey gray/red trim paint job CM puts on it, no need to fix it if it ain't broken. The outsides/plastic parts will not be touched.

I guess I'm gonna have to like sand it first. Then comes primer, and then comes paint. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also wondering how many coats of both primer and paint I will need/how many cans this will translate to. I don't want to clear coat it, I want it to be MATTE, and clear coating makes it glossy apparently. I know clear coating is for protection, but what am I gonna have to protect this against ffs?

Also just wondering if there's a specific type of paint I should use for this. if I'm talking out my arse sounding like a total dumb blonde, well, like I said I'm a major noob. Hoping to get the paint bought by tomorrow, painted by/on Monday. I'm on Xmas break but that doesn't mean my :censored: English teacher didn't give me a huge book report to do. Any input/help/pictures/contributions at all is GREATLY FREAKIN' APPRECIATED! :haha:

MarkOne December 19, 2009 04:17 AM

If you paint only the inside go with a spray can, we don't see it too much, I will say an other thing if it was the outside, since you want it flat, get a flat black primer, ( if it's only metal take anyone, if you have plastic , make sure it's compatible ) just make sure to clean the part with a good degreaser before, you can buy it a Canadian tire, or best go in a Car paint shop, the guy will sell you few and give you some tips. :thumb:

ImmaPC December 19, 2009 10:54 AM

Well I'm only gonna be doing the inside pretty much, but a little bit of the outside as well. Like that metal "shell" without any plastic on it whatsoever, I'm going to paint that inside and out. No plastics are gonna be painted.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/6361/dscn0835ba5.jpg - This is EXACTLY it. Inside and out.

So you're saying I can get flat black primer, degrease my Cosmos S, spray that on and be done with it? No need for actual paint?

ImmaPC December 19, 2009 02:32 PM

Okay, so stripped my Cosmos S.

I was talking to my buddy in the U.S. who paints all sorts of things often, he's a painter. He says that just a regular sanding with 100 grit or higher will work. Then just a couple coats of some regular primer and some flat black rust paint would do the trick. he says I won't need any clear coating or anything, I won't exactly be exposing this to high heat or anything.

Any comments?

Overclocker~4.1 December 19, 2009 10:16 PM

This looks familiar. lol

ImmaPC December 20, 2009 12:43 AM

Familiar, yes, but believe you-me, this doesn't even come close to living up to the absolute phenom that is your Cosmos S. And I don't mean phenom as in the shitty AMD proc. How did you paint yours?

SugarJ December 20, 2009 10:38 AM

A suggestion? Take the cage to a couple of powdercoaters. I got my Cosmos S done for $50 plus tax. You're probably going to spend half that on paint, and the powdercoating does not scratch or chip.

ImmaPC December 20, 2009 01:10 PM

Yeah, but I wanna do this by myself, so that I can take pride in having done it. And it'll look sweet once I'm done, I'll take my time with this, big time. You'll see!

Okay so here's the plan. I googled self etching primer, and you cant buy it anywhere it seems. So I'm going to sand it a bit with like 400 grit or something, and then do 3 coats of primer (with sanding in between coats) Then I'll paint two or three coats of flat black paint, and I dunno if I should sand in between painting coats. Maybe just between 2nd and 3rd if I decide to do three? I'm not gonna be clear coating.

Sorry if this thread pisses anyone off. Go ahead and delete it.

lowfat December 20, 2009 02:01 PM

If you can afford the powdercoating i HIGHLY suggest it. Most people don't realize how fragile paint is. Especially stuff out of a spray can. The powdercoating will be 50x more durable and will have a much more even coating.

If you are insistent on painting then here are a few steps. If you are going w/ a matte paint. Then the metal doesn't need a lot of preparation. Sand it w/ a low grit sand paper. You do not need primer on metal. The only times metal needs a primer is if the metal has rust you are in a very humid area (think Florida). Do thin coats of paint. Wait a good 24 hours between coats. Give the paint a quick wetsand (800 grit) to remove orange peel. The more coats the better but do not skimp on the drying time. If you have a large oven to use you can cure the paint in about 4-5 (140F or so) hours instead of the 24.

But I still highly suggest you take it do some powdercoaters.

ImmaPC December 20, 2009 02:07 PM

I'm googlinng powdercoating places in Vancouver atm. Ty for the tips though! :thumb: