Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20, 2009, 06:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Screw it. I'm gonna DIY this. I really want to paint up my case. I want it for the experience, and if I ever want to trick out a beige box. Don't hate me, and I thanks you guys for the suggestions, but I don't wanna spend $50 (even though $50 is relatively cheap) when I can buy paint, take my time, and do a good job for like $20. It's not even so much about cost, like I said mainly for the experience.

For the last couple days I've been googling like crazy. Everyone says to use some kind of primer, self-etching works very well but lots of people say to just get some 200-400 grit sandpaper and just etch it yourself. I'm gonna do a damn good job on this, take my time, and do it coat by coat, and let lots of drying time in between. Yeah, 24 hours lol.
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old January 4, 2010, 05:43 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

How did the DIY go? any update will be nice.
Like you, I prefer DIY if I know what I'm doing otherwise leave it to the pros. I painted the inside of my ATCS this past summer and it came out pretty good - took my time as well in between coats as I was waiting for parts to come in.
Old January 4, 2010, 05:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

He hasn't even started by all accounts.
I screwed up on painting my 900 ended up selling it after, painting it is a pain, especiall since you can miss some sanding spots , so the paint doesn't adhere as well.
Old January 4, 2010, 06:43 PM
Top Prospect

I have painted cases before. One case I even popped the rivets to paint each piece then reassembled. Yes the paint is fragile almost brittle. ANy where there is contact and movement (screws, drives sliding in and out, etc.) will show some damage. Plus if you add multiple layers then there is more chance for the paint chipping at these sports.

I have a local poweder coater and will likely have them do the next case (deciding which one to mod). They have done parts of my sled's motor and did a great job and nothing has scratched or rusted.
Old January 4, 2010, 09:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmaPC View Post
Familiar, yes, but believe you-me, this doesn't even come close to living up to the absolute phenom that is your Cosmos S. And I don't mean phenom as in the shitty AMD proc. How did you paint yours?
haha, at first i thought you insulted me, then I read the rest of the post. and thankyou lol. as for painting, the high grade thermal engine paint seemed to work well for the interior of my case. altho, if you can afford it, I suggest you follow what the other guys are saying and have it powder coated. and for the outside., sand,prime,sand,paint,sand,paint,seal. I didn't follow the steps and now, if im not careful. the paint on the outside of my case will chip.

As for how. I drilled out all the rivets, painted the parts separately ( you don't "need" to do this). then put it back together painted my rivets and painted the exterior separately.

I used automotive engine paint for the interior and regular automotive paint with an airgun for the exterior.

And the rails.. I took them apart and painted them separately so the paint wouldn't adhere them together.
Old January 5, 2010, 09:33 AM
Top Prospect

Good tips!
Old January 5, 2010, 10:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overclocker~4.1 View Post
... I suggest you follow what the other guys are saying and have it powder coated...
His main goal for this is the experiance of painting it himself, and to take pride in it
Old January 5, 2010, 04:46 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuseMe View Post
His main goal for this is the experiance of painting it himself, and to take pride in it
Haha, basically my mentality on it. guys told me to powder coat it too. but if you spray paint it right with the correct paint. the inside turns out well. altho, i think PC it would be better haha. but in any case. all the power to him, do what you want and do what you love.