Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 21, 2009, 02:07 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Default CM690 modding log

Hey guys, decided to give a shot at case modding, so here's my first ever pathetic attempt at cutting up a computer case (with a rotary cutting wheel)

I started with a poorly routed 24pin and 4pin cable that had to go through the stupid top hole, and the 6pin pcie cables were tied to the hdd cage and were routed in front the the mobo tray since the hole wasn't big enough to fit all the cables... I've got one image that I used to ask a few questions in an earlier thread, but I don't really have a 'before' picture

Ok, so I bought a roll of green tape just for this first ever mod project lol...

This pic was taken at the end when I was done with the cutting wheels, just threw it in anyways got them from widgetsupply, took around 2 weeks to get here. Their prices are really good (for americans), but after shipping and paypal's damn conversion, it's really not much cheaper than a local canadian tire which would have saved me 2 weeks of time... bought some mobo energy cells just incase. And there's my crappy $10 rotary tool from Canadian Tire lol

My TX750 from ncix arrives... $90 after MIR, hope I get it why is there a rock in the corner?

My pc parts have invaded my desktop...

Well I started cutting... it was kinda weird as a first timer lol, I started cutting in the basement, then moved to cutting in the backyard after I noticed that there was metal dust everywhere My cuttingwheels were barely scratching the surface at first, then I realized the speed was too slow... it was set on '2' when it needed at least a '3' to scratch the metal, and I ended up using '4.5' which made it actually feel like it was cutting and making progress. It got quite dusty... ended up borrowing my dad's earplugs and mask that he uses for work

Done cutting

After sanding it off with a grinding wheel. None of the bits really fitted in the corner where the 8pin cpu was supposed to pass through, so it was cut the crappily-est. Used up quite a bit of compressed air to blow off all the dust. Used up a lot more screwing around in the backyard lol, I flipped it over and started spraying my mom's plants, the leaves just crumbled off

So now the mobo tray is wobbling... it 'clicks' back and forth. Hopefully it'll get stablized once I install the mobo. Do you guys think I should cut a huge hole in the bottom for the psu and mount it sucking from the outside, or just keep it sucking from the inside? Also considering cutting a hole in the mobo tray behind the cpu socket... not sure what kind of damage that would cause though...

I'm going to mail off the MIR for my tx750 and buy some 800 grit from Canadian tire in around half an hour. Update to come soon... hopefully tomorrow, but I've got a crapload of homework to do before monday and a bronze cross exam tomorrow afternoon.
Old November 21, 2009, 02:40 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o0 View Post
So now the mobo tray is wobbling... it 'clicks' back and forth. Hopefully it'll get stablized once I install the mobo. Do you guys think I should cut a huge hole in the bottom for the psu and mount it sucking from the outside, or just keep it sucking from the inside?
Nice work so far ... but what are you talking about with the PSU. The CM690 mounts it's PSU with the fan pointing down. It already sucks air in from the bottom. There is no need to cut a hole.
Old November 21, 2009, 03:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

get a file and file the cuts down, this way you wont risk of any damage to the psu cables especially that top 4pin hole. Otherwise, fantastic job man. looks great.

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old November 21, 2009, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ya I've already got my PSU sucking in cold air from the bottom. Do you mean like cut all the mesh out? I'd leave it it might make the rest of your case "wobbly" lol.
Old November 21, 2009, 04:43 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

ya lol that's what I was thinking, the bottom probably would get a lot more wobbly... the bottom 120mm intake is already wobbly, and the top 120mm near the i/o is also wobbly even though I didn't do anything to them (yet)

the tx750 has a 140mm intake, the hole on the bottom has like a 100mm intake, I thought I'd make it bigger, or just forget about sucking it from the bottom altogether

Yea I tried a file, didn't do much except made my hand numb lol the 8pin hole was the hardest to get to. For all the others, I shaved off the edge a bit with the cutting wheel, but I can't reach the 8pin in the corner... it does look like quite a messy job. I'll see what I can do to it, maybe use the sides of the cutting wheel to shave it down

I got the sandpaper from canadian tire, and I already regret getting 800 grit lol, I think I shoulda got 1000 grit or higher... this thing is too rough. My hyper 212+ keeps bouncing on it... maybe I'll try some soap on it.

And for the wobbling mobo tray, I forgot to mention, it wasn't wobbling after my first cut since it was just right and kind of shallow. I screwed up on the second cut (bottom one) and I cut it kind of deep so it started to wobble, so I just shaved everything down altogether and now the whole thing wobbles, but it looks better and has more clearance

I'll update with pictures in about half an hour from now
Old November 21, 2009, 05:44 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Sweet more pictures! You could always paint the inside black, that would hide a lot of the rough edges. More work though. I had the same issue, with the PSU hole being too small, with both my 590 and 690, but I recently solved it by going modular. :) Much easier. However my next build is definitely going to include a step up in the case department. The 5/690 are great cheap cases with plenty of room, but having build a couple rigs for friends in Silverstone/Lian Li cases, I'm totally sold on the cost increase.
Old November 21, 2009, 05:44 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Ok guys, I'm screwing my homework and I'm gonna finish this mod project!

Lapping my hyper 212+ was really scary after seeing the pic of that dude that showed me a dude showing another dude that penetrated his heatpipes on vendetta 2 cuz of lapping. I'm guessing he lapped it a lot... And for all those people that spend 'an entire afternoon of 5 hours' lapping your heatsinks, it's kinda crazy... I spent around 30 mins at most lapping mine

So here's the comparison of the hole on the bottom of the cm690, and the air intake for a tx750

Like I said, I regret buying 800grit... it's too strong, this pic was taken after around 2 laps lol

So there you have it, my first pathetic lapping that took me 30 mins I tried to mimick those pics where the pro modders have a lapped heatsink mirroring some text or something, didn't work out too well for me... the text on my cpu ihs was all a big blurb, couldn't really tell it was text. More like tim residue lol. My camera lens cap worked out pretty well though, but really, it's nothing like a mirror... my nose is shinier than that

edit:omg that looks soooo shopped!! I swear I didn't shop that lol

If anyone in Scarboro has some higher grit sandpaper they're willing to spare, please let me know! I'll give you a 800 grit sheet for itlol

yea my cheap asian parents were yelling at me over buying some 800 grit for 4 buxI don't think they'll let me live if I go back and buy 1600 grit lol

edit: sry I lyed about update in 30mins, turned out to be more like 1hr... had to wash my little bro's butt cuz he poopped in his diaper... if anyone wants some pics of my bro's faeces, I'd be more than glad to upload them

Last edited by 0o0; November 21, 2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old November 21, 2009, 05:48 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If you need higher grit, go to Home Depot. I've never had any luck at Canadian Tire, their selection in both the home and automotive departments are pathetic. I found up to 3000 at HD.
Old November 21, 2009, 05:51 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

There's up to just over 2k grit at canadian tire, but my parents won't lemme buy anymore... how much is the sandpaper @ HD? It was 4 bucks for 4 sheets of almost a4 sized sandpaper at canadian tire, 3 bucks for 5 strips slightly wider than receipts, half page long.
Old November 21, 2009, 08:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I wouldnt bother going beyond 800 grit on a HDT style cooler, you wont see much if any difference in lapping the heatsink beyond evening up the surface.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.