Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 20, 2009, 11:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Bottom mount PSU cable lengths

I am buying my brother a case for Christmas, since he continues to upgrade his computer in an old hot case. I am keeping cost low, so it is pretty much narrowed down to an Antec 200, 300 (which I have and love for the money), or Cooler Master Elite (310, 330, etc).

His PSU is a generic 500W (not sure of the brand).

Question: Do all PSU have cables that are long enough to go to the power connectors on a motherboard in a bottom mount PSU case??? Anyone have any experience with cables being too short in a bottom mount case of any type??? Should I play it on the safe side and go with a lower airflow top mount PSU case like the cooler masters mentioned (or something else)???

Thanks
Old November 22, 2009, 07:32 PM
Top Prospect

I had a nspire psu that didnt have long enough cables for bottom mount psu, so I got a tx750w and the cables were long enough. Its the 4 pin connector on most psu's are shorter because they usually mount at the top. any of the corsair HX or TX psu's will have a long enough cable, most name brand psu and some no namers might also, just have to check the legnth of the cable and the height of the case.
Old November 22, 2009, 08:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

Unfortunately, you're going to have to put a ruler to the case/motherboard, and then check the manufacturer's website. Even the better manufacturers don't always account for that sort of setup, and some bottom-PSU cases don't allow for good routing to minimize the cable length needed. And of course, not all motherboards put their plug sockets in the same location either.
Old November 23, 2009, 08:30 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

you could always give him a few lengths of wire and a pair of strippers as well and tell him "have fun"
Old November 23, 2009, 08:40 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The simple, easy and cheap solution is:
NCIX.com - Buy Works 8 Pin Eps Male to 8 Pin Eps Female Extension Cable 12IN - CB-8M-8F In Canada.

I always have a couple kicking around in my parts room. That way it doesnt matter how long or short the cables are. IF they are long enough on their own, worst you are out is like 5 or 6 bucks. BUT If the cables are NOT long enough it keeps you from having 2 days of down time waiting for a cable to ship!

Just my $.02....YMMV...etc etc :)

Edit. these also come in handy for some rigs too ;)
NCIX.com - Buy ATX Power Adapter Male 4 Pin Molex to Female 4 Pin Motherboard 4 Pins Square - 4Pins-MF-Straight- Square In Canada.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 23, 2009, 09:02 AM
MVP

My System Specs

When I first built my older system using my OCZ Stealth 600W and my CM 690 case, both the 24-pin and 4-pin cords were too short. I bought two cords at PC Cables: DB9, DB25, IDE, PS/2, mouse, null modem, SCSI, serial ATA, printer cables - Cables To Go and the problem was solved.

Even since I have changed out my motherboard, I still use the extensions because it gives me more options for routing behind the motherboard tray.

Cheers!
Lunch_Time_Canuck :)
Old November 23, 2009, 11:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks for your help everyone. I went to his place on the weekend and did a quick measurement while he wasn't around. Turns out the 24 pin would be the only problem (4 pin was a bit lower on his motherboard). Good thing I didn't order without checking the length or asking on here. Guess it will be one of the Cooler Master cases for him (don't want to invest in extension cables for a crappy PSU). I know they are all the same inside (except the 310 HDD), but any one have any other budget good flowing case recommendations than the elite 330 or 335 (will likely be 330).

Last edited by Bond007; November 23, 2009 at 11:45 AM.