Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 8, 2009, 01:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Which case do you prefer?

I'm about to buy a new computer, and am sort of undecided on the case. Was looking for input on which cases you guys like, and why.

The options right now are the Cooler Master Storm Scout, HAF 922, HAF 932, or Antec Nine Hundred II.

I can get the Storm Scout for $109.77, but it's designed for LAN gamers (which I'm not), and the cooling isn't as great as the others. Cable management doesn't look that hot either. I like the styling though.

The HAF 922 is $139.77. Good cooling, good looking cable management, and the styling isn't too shabby. On the other hand, the styling does look a BIT shabby, would need some getting used to, have to see it in person I think. Not really a fan of how the interior is not black, and I'm uncertain whether I'd be comfortable taking it apart to paint it. Dislike the look of the side panel as well.

The HAF 932 is $169.77 with a $15 MIR for a total of $154.77. Excellent cooling, lots of room and good cable management, I prefer the styling over the HAF 922, and like the size. Dislike the interior colour as well, dislike the lack of dust filters, and the price is teetering on my price point. Side panel will be hit or miss, going to have to see it with my own eyes.

The Antec Nine Hundred II is $146.77. I like the styling of this case, and the cooling is excellent. Heard mixed reviews though, people seem to recommend the HAF 922 or 932 over it, but reviewers always rate it as one of the best mid-tower cases, better than the HAF 922. I like the blue LEDs as well more than the red ones(but I could turn off the red and use a blue cold cathode if I was so inclined.) Not sure how much room is on the interior, and it lacks the CPU cooler cut out from the Cooler Masters. Also read the cable management isn't too great either.

So again I ask, which do you guys prefer?
Old August 8, 2009, 02:10 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If you are looking for a BIG case...HAF 932 from that list wins hands down
If you are looking for a moderate size case....HAF 922.

IMHO Function should always be more important than FORM. You will either like or loathe the HAF line's looks, BUT either way you have to respect its capabilities. ;)

IF you want styling AND good air cooling, the ATCS 840 is one pretty case, and offers decent cooling (not as good as the HAF, but not terrible either).
Before buying any case I strongly recommend reading as many reviews on them as possible, and then see them in person and see what fits your needs, style and personality the best (in that order of importance from most to least)

YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 8, 2009, 02:24 PM
MVP

My System Specs

The Antec 902 makes some minor improvements over the 900 (mainly aesthetic), and while the 902 isn't a terrible case to work in, I always found it lacking in certain respects when compared to cases like the HAF 932, namely in areas like cable management (a common issue I've found with mid-towers) and hard disk placement. In my experience, I think that all the cases you mentioned tend to be in the love-it-or-hate-it category, looks-wise, but I've worked with HAF 932 and the Antec 902, and I don't have any real complaints about either.

Personally, if you have the space for it in your house and in your budget, I'd go big and get the HAF 932.

---
Bob - Core i3 530 | Gigabyte H55N-USB3 | 4GB DDR3 | Corsair H50 w/ TFC Triebwerk | Silverstone SG06
Old August 8, 2009, 02:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I had the HAF932 for some time and its been pretty good. Only real complaint i can think of right now is the weight and size of it gets unconventional in some situations. The airflow is pretty good, while still being pretty quiet (at least for my ears). Cable management wise, its very well laid out and with good effort you can make it look very clean and professional. Also i would like to mention that dust will be annoying but really what case doesn't have dust issues? Also the power LED, and HDD activity LED are pretty bright in the dark. Its not really annoying but i placed my case in a way that it points to my bed which makes it hard to sleep if i leave it on for something. Good luck with your purchase!
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old August 8, 2009, 03:15 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I think I'm going with the HAF 932. I figure I can always just put some stockings over the fans to act as a dust filter. I heard someone talking about an electrical tape mod for the front LED that supposedly lower the brightness. Anyone know anything about this?
Old August 8, 2009, 03:21 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Usually the "electrical tape mod" means taking a piece of electrical tape (or any opaque tape) and sticking it over part of the led to cut down on light output. The more you cover the less bright it appears ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 8, 2009, 03:23 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Figured that was what it was :P
Old August 8, 2009, 03:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

+1 to every haf!!!! nothing more to say over the other case.

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 8, 2009, 05:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Usually the "electrical tape mod" means taking a piece of electrical tape (or any opaque tape) and sticking it over part of the led to cut down on light output. The more you cover the less bright it appears ;)
Hahaha i used a sticker! i also seen some mods where people replace the LED, like red,yellow, i even saw a rainbow one (it changes colors overtime).
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old August 8, 2009, 10:43 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the feedback guys. Moment of reckoning. I noticed that Canada Computers has the Antec Twelve Hundred at $159.99, bringing it into my price range. This case just looks so sexy, has the colour of LED that I want, and great cooling. I think I'm going to go with this one over the HAF. From what I've read it has better performance than the 932. It may be slightly smaller, but I don't mind, still bigger than a Mid size. As I said, I love the look of this case. For 5 bucks more than the HAF, I think this will be my new case. If I hadn't of seen this price, I definitely would've gone with the HAF, but I just can't pass this up. Thanks for the responses even if they ended up for naught.