Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 7, 2009, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Antec 1200; Meet Isolated PSU Compartment

I have seen these types of cases where the bottom mounted PSU is seperated from the rest of the case to keep the heat "seperated".

Example: Corsair's Obsidian Series

Well, I have a PC Power and Cooling Silencer PSU, which has one fan exhausting air out the back side of the case, and the front side of the PSU is very ventilated. Well, The Antec 1200 has three fans, and the bottom one alignes perfectly with the PSU.

So I thought it would be a good idea to have something like this done for my 1200 so that bottom fan has no where to go but right through the PSU. I know that once air goes through a fan, it doesnt stay 100% semetrical, as soon as it leaves its HDD chamber, its going everywhere. This isnt a bad thing, there is still great airflow in this case. However, I like the idea of an isolated PSU chamber. It also makes it look cleaner not seeing the PSU wires

Well, here is my rough product. If all goes well, Ill be making a final versions (fitting will be 100% correctly) and taking taking it to a steel-works shop, and have one made out of 1mm thich black-aluminum, and have Antec engraved.

(The little cut-out at the bottom is where my Cold-Cathode plugins are)

I am also thinking on reducing the size, but not sure yet.

What do you guys think, also give me some ideas etc.

UPDATE: Would it be to much to outline "Antec" with a UV blue marker?

Last edited by AmuseMe; August 7, 2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old August 7, 2009, 01:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Looks good. I've seem similar things done before.

Though I'd suggest adding in a little piece to cover the top of the hard drive. It'll just give it a totally seamless look IMO.
Old August 7, 2009, 02:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Looks good. I've seem similar things done before.

Though I'd suggest adding in a little piece to cover the top of the hard drive. It'll just give it a totally seamless look IMO.
I tried that, it worked, but I am thinking if it was a solid piece (ie. aluminum) I dont know how to get it in - it wont bend

UPDATE: Ill be trying to add the extra piece to make it look "Seamless" by removing the HDD cage, and than putting it in

Last edited by AmuseMe; August 7, 2009 at 02:18 PM.