Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4, 2009, 06:03 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default Primer necessary?

I'm looking to cut some cable management holes and decided to paint the inside and outside of my Antec 900. I purchased a can of Rustoleum Flat Black and Gloss Cobalt Blue. I was just wondering if primer is necessary before applying the paint. If it is needed, what exact type is the best? Any other things I should know before hand?:help:

Old August 4, 2009, 06:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Primer is always a good idea when painting something like this. Make sure you roughen up the surfaces that you're going to paint (try not to gouge it). After that, make sure you clean all the dust and remains off. Your first coat is the most important if you want it to last. Other than that, light, smooth coats is the main thing. Don't rush it.
I'm talking from experience (or lack of) because when I painted my HAF932, I didn't roughen or prime the drive bays and the paint chipped pretty easily. I also rushed it, so the paint didn't get to cure properly.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old August 4, 2009, 06:24 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

What exact brand/kind of primer are we talking about? I went to Home Depot to take a look and was very confused.

By roughen up, I assume you mean sand it? What grit would I use?

Would it be that much more beneficial to completely disassemble the case, taking out the rivets etc?

Another question, is using a cleat coat after primer and a few coats of paint going to make it last longer, or just give it a shinier look?

Old August 4, 2009, 07:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I believe you want self-etching primer. Not sure if Home Depot has that, might want to check out the automotive section at Canadian Tire.

Sandpaper wise, maybe like 600? Not too sure here.

Tearing the case down completely would allow you to get nice even coats on all surfaces without any runs. However it's more effort and you also need to put it all back together, so if you don't have a rivet tool and what not, then it becomes more costly.

Don't think clear is really needed, and I don't believe I've heard of people doing that on the interior of cases.
Old August 5, 2009, 10:12 AM

My System Specs

Primer is not needed. It is only needed if the metal is rusting or will be used in a very high humidity area. Which hopefully your computer sees none of these.
Old August 5, 2009, 10:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Primer is not needed. It is only needed if the metal is rusting or will be used in a very high humidity area. Which hopefully your computer sees none of these.
Agreed. Primer isn't really important here. But you should take LP's advice on sanding the area. A fine grit automotive sandpaper is best for this.
Old August 5, 2009, 11:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I used 800 grit sandpaper for roughening.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old August 5, 2009, 01:20 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Well that sounds good. I'm quite lazy and not needing the extra layer of primer would help. I'll definitely try sanding it. Would using a power sander be ok or should I hand sand it?

Old August 5, 2009, 01:46 PM

My System Specs

You really should be sanding after every coat to get a good application. What kind of power sander is it? It should be fine if it is small enough.
Old August 5, 2009, 02:18 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

It is a Black & Decker Cyclone. These are my dad's power tools, so I really am not sure about the specs. Here's a link though: Amazon.com: Black & Decker MS1000 Cyclone 1.4 Amp Orbital 4-in-1 Multi Sander: Home Improvement

Also, kind of stupid, but should I be sanding the plastic parts on the Antec 900 or just use spray paint?

Last edited by curtispan; August 5, 2009 at 02:30 PM.