Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 29, 2009, 08:53 PM
MVP
F@H

Default Dremeling my Antec 900

I've finally got fed up with routing cables in my case and I want to dremel holes into the case so I can finally properly route the cables.

I've never done any dremel work and I was wondering what advice you could give me on how to do it properly, what kind of things I should think about before I do it and how should I get rid of the shavings afterwards?

Thanks...
Old July 29, 2009, 09:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Should draw out where you want the holes before the motherboard is out of the case. Probably want 2 or 3 holes along the right side of the motherboard, possibly another at the top left corner if you're CPU power cable can reach from behind, and then a fairly large one down where the PSU sits so you can run all the cables on the backside.

If you don't want to scratch up the case, then you'll probably want to cover the areas you're cutting with masking tape as well.

Make sure you have safety glasses for sure. Don't want any metal filings in your eyes. Might want to get either some sandpaper or a file to smooth out the rough edges of the holes you cut. Or you can take the lazy way and just cover them with u-channel.

And to get rid of shavings, vacuum it. I also hosed the case down outside as well since I was prepping for paint.
Old July 29, 2009, 09:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Get more then just a dremel. It's cool for cutting but ask the guy at local hammer shop if he have something to cover or sand the inner side to prevent cut or cable cut. Sometime they have some sand paper dremel wich do a really good work go from bigger to smaller and everything smooth and look pro:P
This is a good idea of what type of dremel head you should try to get.
http://www.groomersmall.com/images/D...Pet_Kit-lg.jpg
For the rest, take your dimension carefully and also try to make something like a little wood guide to be right and precise ( for look ).

Ask if you need more advice ( don't forget to wear glaces )

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old July 29, 2009, 09:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Should draw out where you want the holes before the motherboard is out of the case. Probably want 2 or 3 holes along the right side of the motherboard, possibly another at the top left corner if you're CPU power cable can reach from behind, and then a fairly large one down where the PSU sits so you can run all the cables on the backside.

If you don't want to scratch up the case, then you'll probably want to cover the areas you're cutting with masking tape as well.

Make sure you have safety glasses for sure. Don't want any metal filings in your eyes. Might want to get either some sandpaper or a file to smooth out the rough edges of the holes you cut. Or you can take the lazy way and just cover them with u-channel.

And to get rid of shavings, vacuum it. I also hosed the case down outside as well since I was prepping for paint.
All good advice. Get some earplugs as well, it can get quite loud. Make sure your case cannot move and that you have a firm grip on the dremel. Sometimes it will move in directions you do not want to go. Practice some cuts on another piece of sheet metal to get the feel for it.
Old July 30, 2009, 04:21 AM
MVP
F@H

Thanks guys, this is great advice and a great place to start. I'm also curious about painting the inside of my case. Should I sand it down before I start. Is priming it a good idea or is there better paint that I should use where I woudln't need to prime it. What kind of spray paint would you suggest?
Old July 30, 2009, 06:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Prime it. Do a great job and it cost less than a sanding session. You have to prime everywhere that is in steel. so everywhere.

Ask for more

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old July 30, 2009, 11:01 AM
MVP
F@H

Thanks guys. I'll post before and after pictures once I'm done. I can't wait to have a case that'll finally be clean.

EVGA 680i SLI Motherboard $80 + Qualitas 73GB 10k SCSI $30
Old July 30, 2009, 12:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Self-Etching Primer + Tremclad should be good for painting. Just do multiple light coats to prevent runs. I know it'll take longer, but you'll have much better results.

If you want you could rough up the whole case with some fine sand-paper or something.
Old August 16, 2009, 12:16 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

When you're cutting, don't press on the Dremel, its' weight and the weight of your hand is enough to get the cutting disc to do its' job. If you press on it, you'll wear it out way quicker and might even make it shatter. And this applies to trying anything new really, but relax and remember not to tense up. I always see people working with their shoulders up to their ears. Yikes, that can't be comfortable!
Old August 17, 2009, 09:45 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
And to get rid of shavings, vacuum it. ...
I recommend using an industrial-type vacuum like a Shop-vac for the clean up. Those metal filings and dust can damage a 'normal' household vacuum.
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB