Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 28, 2009, 11:13 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Cooler Master Dilemma

Alright so I've decided that for my new computer build, my two choices for a computer case have come down to two different Cooler Master cases:
CM HAF 932
CM Stacker 830 Evo

What I'm going to put into this rig is:
Foxconn Bloodrage X58 Motherboard
Intel i7 920
OCZ DDR3 SDRAM 6GB (3x2GB)
2x Sapphire HD 4890 crossfired
2x WD 640GB HDD

My deciding factors are:
Longevity (How long will I be able to use this case for future builds)
Cooling (I plan to water cool the Mobo, GPU's, and CPU)

As of right now, the base retail prices w/o a sale for these on Newegg is:
Stacker= $199.00
HAF 932= $159.00

So given all this, which case is ultimately the better deal, which will last me longer, and which one cools better? It will be a couple months after I build the PC before I put in the water cooling.
Old July 28, 2009, 12:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I Would go for the HAF 932. This is IMO but Door in front of the case make it have lower airflow and the Haf have been tested and modded many time in here so you could get better explaination if ever trying this. I think you should concider to the Coolermaster ATCS 840. HAF 932 cooling in a Stacker size ( almost ) and the look of a clean and professional case.
Removable tray is also a + I think that the stacker have it but not sure. The way hard drive are place in HAF 932 and ATCS 840 is also a must for cable management.

Ask for more.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old July 28, 2009, 12:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

Or you could go for the Cosmos S.. Yuo have the space up there for up to a triple rad, air flow control is good..

It's a beatiful case.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old July 28, 2009, 12:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Is there any difference in the Cosmos S and the Cosmos 1000 other than their color?

And that ATCS looks like a very refined case. I'll be looking into that
Old July 28, 2009, 01:15 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hahaha looking at this post, it would seem like I'm just arguing about which CM case is the best. And they are all around the same price. So I'll modify my question:

Out of these cases:
CM Cosmos 1000
CM Cosmos S
CM Stacker 830 Evo
CM ATCS 840
CM HAF932

Which case is the best in:
Air cooling,
Water cooling,
Upgradeability (possibly a made-up word),
Internal space (would I be able to water cool a crossfire set-up with the extra large cards out on the market with little to no trouble?),

Upgradeability and internal space could probably go under the same category here.

Thanks for you input! It is greatly appreciated

Last edited by SquattingDawg; July 28, 2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old July 28, 2009, 01:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Stick with the 3 last, Cosmos have a little trouble, hard drive are keeping HOT in the little HDD case. The first version of cosmos has a little issu with dying gisk due to hot temp. Air cooling is about the same in all case but I think ATCS 840 win with the stacker EVO. The floor fan and the top fan + the front fan allow you to do a cooling solution looking like the raven one wich is pretty solid. They are all really upgradable so don't worry about that:P. and the space with the ATCS and the Stacker you have removable MOBO tray so plenty of room to play and great cable management.
Hope that answer your question my friend.
You can also PM me if you have more precise question

Ask for more

Martin_metal_88

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old July 28, 2009, 02:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

Well..martin just to clear things the Cosmos RC-1000 is the first one and the Cosmos S (RC-1100) is the second one, now both have a different front. The first revision had those seperate HDD drawers, where as the Cosmos S (second version) only has 5 1/4" bays, which at the bottom they have provided a 4 hdd cage that takes up 3 5 1/4" which has it's own hdd cage fan.. Also the Cosmos S had front fan intakes, the first revision doesn't.. In fact the hard drive cage provided is an aluminum cage, rather than the one given in the stacker series or sold separately.

Though it does lack a motherboard tray..

Cooler Master ATCS 840 Full Tower Case Review

After reading this review once more of the ATCS 840 case, I would definitely either go for the HAF 932, Cosmos S or the Stacker case.

As you can see clearly even the minor details can turn in to bad flaws, something like having your 7 expansion slots outside the case (not good), can't mount a single rad on the exhaust fan, plain stupid.. also the top while mounting a triple rad, the middle fan the metal cuts it off ...

The other thing that the HAF wins over the ATCS 840 is the fact that it has a fill port, and also has more holes on the mobo tray to route the cables better..

What's your budget by the way ?
Old July 28, 2009, 02:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

My budget is no more than $250 for a case. I plan on eventually water cooling my rig, but I'm starting out with air cooling until I get the money for water.

I've also been looking at reviews and the ATCS seems to be way too big for me. Where-as the Cosmos S and HAF are smaller and can fit pretty much everything as is.

I really like the looks of the Stacker 830 and the Cosmos S. The HAF is still the cheapest and seems to be the best performer as far as cooling goes. With that said, would any of these cases have a lower noise output? I know it mostly depends on my fans but when I put in the water cooling, will it really matter?
Old July 28, 2009, 02:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you look closely to squattingdawg choice the cosmos is the 1000 wich had several problem not de second version 1100 but you are true I forget to be more precise about S model thx for correction. For the tripple rad in the Haf 932 you have the same problem with a metal cutting fan and also the plastic top of the case come cover the end of the third fan. see image below
http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/im.../WC_top_sm.jpg
So we are about in the same way about tripple rad.

Ask for more

Martin_metal_88

Old July 28, 2009, 02:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

No worries.. at least we agree with each other..

Though Squatting, I personally would go for the HAF 932, it has almost anything and everything you need from good cable management, enough room to work in, has excellent air flow and fan options to accommodate both air and water cooling, it's even ready for water cooling right outside the box..

You could also look at the Tagan Black Pearl case, which I believe is under $250, and is built as well as a Lian Li (It's an exact copy of the Lian Li V2000)..

But if you have the funds and the case readily available to buy, then the HAF 932 would be a perfect choice for me, you could ship it to my address when you get a chance.. lol..

You're probably holding your breath and reading what I have to say, and then at the end of the sentence you're like W T F!!

... My choice for you HAF 932, if you can afford a Cosmos S, pick your choice, both of those are very good cases, just one fact that the 932 can even hold radiators on it's side panel.. that's would be enough..

Good Luck in what you choose and your build.