Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 16, 2009, 06:21 PM
Rookie

Smile Thinking out of the box

Guys,

I have an ugly and esquisite Robela Water Case.To read more: Titan Robela Water Case
I hate it for many reasons and I'm planning a big change here.

My basic hardware inside of the ugly case is:
  • Mobo EVGA 780i air cooled with the stock cooling system
  • 2 x 9800 GTX with full coverage water blocks
  • Processor QuadCore 9450 with Titan copper water block
  • 2 DVD Drives
  • 2 HD 500gb in a sandwich with Koolance HD-57 water block
New hardware addings for the new case:
  • 1 SSD drive
  • Zalman ZM-MFC2 fan controller
  • 4 Arctic Cool fans to blow the radiator
I have some spare parts that I plan to use in the new case and I'll remove some good parts from the ugly one, per example: the radiator is copper made and 26cm x 35cm.

I saw this Banchetto thing: Microcool.it - Chipset, Cpu Pentium M socket 479 and integrated coolers
and decided to take it as an inspiration to my new project.

On this thread I'm going to post project drawings, pictures of the parts I have or want to add to the project, my progress and challenges.

I expect you guys to contribute with sugestion and feedback, which I'll be glad and receptive to get.
I know some tricks I'm planning to share with all of you which you may find interesting.
In the worst case you can learn with my mistakes.

Happy posting!

Marcelo
Old July 16, 2009, 06:40 PM
Rookie

Default The draft

Here are shots of the model. My "Marcelletto"
  1. Something I didn't like in the original case, and always see the same problem in all "bench" case types, is the fact of the motherboard being totally exposed to dust. To workaround that, I designed the lid showed in the first shot.
  2. I'm glad I didn't buy the case and decided to plan every detail before moving ahead. If I follow the inspirational idea, my radiator wouldn't fit in. It has 38cm (width) x 26cm (height) and covers the backside of the motherboard where the connectors are supposed to be.
  3. I don't like the power supply showing it's face to the front of the case. The power supply is not designed to be cute and the power cord will be dangling there!
Where should I move the radiator to?
  • Keep it vertical an move to the left or right sides?
  • Below or above and have it horizontally?
The fans should have a good source of fresh air, with no obstacles, to freely take it and blow through the radiator. But I can't stop thinking about making some high feet and install the radiator horizontally and below the base.
Attached Images

Old July 16, 2009, 07:41 PM
MVP
F@H

Awesome idea...

You can get that banchetto at Sidewinder:Microcool Banchetto 101 Clear Modular Case

And keep an eye on this thread: Project 101 - RRTech...The SOURCE for Extreme Liquid Cooling

G'luck

WORK KANG: Silverstone SG03 | EVGA x58 Micro w/ 920 @ 4.2Ghz | Sapphire 5970 | 12GB Dominator DDR3-2000 | 240GB Revodrive X2 | SilverStone ST650F
MINI KANG: BitFenix Prodigy | Asus P8Z77i Deluxe mITX w/ 2600K @ 4.5Ghz | EVGA GTX 680 2GB | 8GB Vengeance DDR3-1866 | 2x Intel 160GB SSD | Corsair AX650
KANGZILLA: Custom MM Ascension | SR-2 | 2x X5650 | 2x SilverStone ST1000F | 2x Intel 160GB SSD | 15x 120mm rads | Under construction...

Old July 16, 2009, 08:16 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Very Nice.
I am thinking of building my own case for the storage unit myself, although mine will be a small as possible, employing air cooling only.

Now, what software do you use for those sketches?

/misses his drawing board
Old July 17, 2009, 08:14 PM
Rookie

Default Ice cube or water reservoir?

Liu, I'm not gonna buy this one. I'll build it. Thanks for the tips, I'll keep watching.

sa seba, when I was designing the lid, came to me the idea of making it looks like an ice cube or something similar.

I got some suggestion from friends to move the radiator to the bottom.
I liked it and updated the drawings.
Btw, I use Autodesk Inventor for the drawings at work and also for fun.
There are some cheaper or free 3D design softwares like "sketch up" and solid works.

You can tell I ruined the original Banchetto's design, but I'm just trying to tailor the design idea to better my needs.

Today I designed the lid to have a double wall. Instead of a bix cube of acrilic to protect the motherboard from dust, this could work also as a big water reservoir.
From a observer perspective this will make it look like the motherboard is drowning into the water.

Come on, maybe the skectches are not so beautiful but the idea is original.
And I have had funny thoughts about ultrassound humidifier and that white smoke coming from it. That could make my ice cube looks more like it.
Attached Images

Last edited by mgrisoli; July 17, 2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old July 21, 2009, 08:22 PM
Rookie

Default Tubed

I just designed the tubing and wanted to share.
Did everyone tried to have 2 pumps in 2 diferent fluid circuits?
That's what I'm having here.
Attached Images

Old July 25, 2009, 05:10 PM
Rookie

Default Better lid design

That water box was bugging me.
I redesigned it.
An waterfall effect will make it look better.

I bought two old cases in a garage sale yesterday, I'm planning to reuse the metal parts from there.
I'm also planning to start cutting the acrilic sheet by the next weekend.

I bet the main challenge will be to fold the acrilic in the proper angle.
My raw material isn't exactly acrilic, but something named PETg.
The manufacturer said a termic blower can be used to bend it, let's see.
Attached Images

Old July 27, 2009, 07:26 AM
Rookie

Default First cut on acrylic

I never tried to cut on acrylic before.
I have read a thousand tutorials over internet and most of it says it's a piece of cake.

So, here are the drawings, the raw material and the tools. Let's do the job.
On this first cut I'm going to do all until the beggining of the polishment process to validate if I have the right tools, materials and process in place.

I found many people saying the first cut on acrylic was just "like cutting butter".
I don't know what kind of butter those guys use but It's so NOT like it.
It's hard! and the blade can easily slip out of the mark.
When I realized I was whether cutting out of the line or cutting the guiding rule.
Attached Images

Old July 27, 2009, 07:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just by looking at this wants me to make my own open case concept. I think computers look awesome all open like that. Great idea!
Old July 27, 2009, 07:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I also like the open case concept. My test bench is waaaaay more user friendly than any closed case.