Name:  DSC04528.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  90.5 KB
Old August 14, 2009, 07:24 AM
Rookie

Default Proper tools to cut on acrylic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
I used a hacksaw and I can cut roughly 1cm/second or more, it's really easy. Do you mean a diamond file bit like this? (not the plunge style just normal with a round-ish end)
Abrasive Type Plunge Diamond Pattern -Toolstoday.com - Industrial Quality Router Bits
I tried what dremel site names "tungsten carbide cutter" and looks like yes it cuts, but the cut is not clean and the acrylic easily melts down, needing a clean-up with a cut-off disc to clean the melted border.

The best sequence I found to make the long cuts was:
1. cut-off disc streightened with fiberglass
2. flapwheels 80 grit

And for the openings:
1. high speed cutter (#115 in dremel catalog) - setting speed to the lowest
1.5 I use cut-off disc if I need squared corners
2. flapwheels 80 grit

I don't know the differences when cutting on acrylic and the raw material I'm actually using: something named "Spectar PETg" - this is made of recycle plastic bottles of softdrinks.
I can tell this PETg stuff has desirable properties such as:
- Hability to thermically shape it in infinit molds
- Fix minor scratches with a thermic blower

I hope I don't need any other big cuts besides the ones I already made, if I do need it I'll try a cut-off diamond disc and tell you if it's any easier.

Thanks for posting, I hope I clarified the methods I'm using and please let me know if you think I'm doing something wrong.
Old August 14, 2009, 05:42 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Looking good I like the legs. How are you attaching the legs to the base, since you were going to do something with the water tank on top it will probably be heavy, don't want a leg kicking out on you.
Old August 14, 2009, 07:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDogZero View Post
Looking good I like the legs. How are you attaching the legs to the base, since you were going to do something with the water tank on top it will probably be heavy, don't want a leg kicking out on you.
I was just looking at that and thinking the same thing.

Those legs don't look like they'll support a lot of weight with how they are fastened.
Old August 21, 2009, 08:22 PM
Rookie

Hey!
Sorry about the delay, busy weeks at work.

You guys are almost right.
I noted a little deformation on the acrilyc when I put some weight in the middle of the base.
So, the point is not exactly that the legs can't support the weight. They actually can.
The matter is the material flexibility is good and bad at the same time.
I'm working some bars to strenght the sheet and don't let it to deform.

I'll work on this this weekend and post the progress.
I'm flying to US next week and will bring some toys to improve the setup.
Old August 22, 2009, 03:26 PM
Rookie

I fixed the legs with screws and bonded them with chloroform.
Choloroform, or trichloromethane is a dangerous and toxic substance. Don't use or manipulate it if you are not familiar to the safety procedures.
However it's the proper element to bond acrylic. It melts the parts and sold it.

The basement is ready, now I'm thinking replan the supports.
They are two discreet "C" pieces holding the upper side, they can be found at left and right of the CD drives.
My concern is basically that the way they are projected the pieces will probably deform.
I'm now looking for acrylic cilinders to play this role of supporting the upper piece.