Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 12, 2009, 12:31 AM
Top Prospect

I think the same thing could be said of the harddrives those, how often are we going to be adding harddrives into this thing. I will probably move my case more often than I add harddrives to my computer.

This thing is huge and that why I think alot of times, full towers are typically made of aluminum. Even if your not moving it around much. I can see this thing with components inside being in excess of 60 pounds. Thats alot for some people.

When your paying 300USD for a case, it expected you get aluminum. By buying this case at $300, your telling corsair its ok to cheapen out on material so they can have higher profit margins. When you got competitors who makes aluminum cases for cheaper and in some ways equally as featured(although in different ways), you can't let corsair get away with such laziness, especially when they still have to build a reputation in the case market. We don't need corsair to become the next apple.

To above poster.
I don't have a problem with this thing being steel so much, I have a problem of it being steel and being priced like a top end aluminum case(so they could increase their margins).

It more expensive than any steel case on the market, although it's well featured it still expensive. Thermaltake makes a steel case which also is partially aluminum and its 249.99 dollars(this is the 2nd most expensive case after this corsair). Although it might not have the harddrive rack, it has a built in water cooling system!!!! A water cooling system is more expensive to add than what corsair has done, yet corsairs case is significantly more expensive.

Last edited by sheepdogexpress; July 12, 2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old July 12, 2009, 03:06 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

double post!

Old July 12, 2009, 03:08 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
All right, I'll bite.

I've built hundreds of machines with steel cases and only 2 with aluminum. Am I experienced enough that I should not want to use steel cases now? What reason should I give?

One of the aluminum cases I built up was no different than any antec case. The only other was the Lian-Li case that I bought off of Lowfat, which is VERY different because the layout is.... well... different

That Lian Li vents from the back of the case and ejects heat out the front.

I see absolutely no advantages to aluminum cases except for the weight difference, which is not a concern for me at all. I do not believe that aluminum cases act like some sort of radiator to carry away heat to any real appreciable value.

Air moving through a steel, aluminum, wood or cardboard case is what is going to move the heat away, not the case which is more or less only held to any heat source via 8 screws.
Totally agree. I love my Lian-Li but I didn't buy it because it was made out of aluminum. I really don't see it as an advantage just a perk. I haven't seen any conclusive evidence that aluminum cases make any differences in heat dissipation either. If anyone has any links I'd be interested in reading up.

Also to the poster who said that there was no room on the bottom for the radiator. It's supposed to be mounted on top like a lot of Lian-Li's. The omission of the non removable mobo tray is a con but it has the cut out for the backplate anyways so you wouldn't even need to remove the mobo tray. If my Lian Li had that cutout I wouldn't even bother removing the tray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogexpress View Post
To above poster.
I don't have a problem with this thing being steel so much, I have a problem of it being steel and being priced like a top end aluminum case(so they could increase their margins).
Corsair said themselves they made it out of steel to make it a reasonable price. It would have been even more if they made it aluminum. Whether that is true or not who knows. Obviously you don't want to trust a PR person but we will find out when its out if it's worth it.

For some reason there is a lot of hate for this case. I think it's an amazing first attempt and it looks solid. I don't understand the throwing around of "fanboy" just to discredit peoples opinions. A lot of people giving opinions don't even have anything decent to compare it against. Anyways the only thing that will tell the full story is when people actually get there hands on one.

P.S. bovine.baron I'm also a student

Last edited by FtGF; July 12, 2009 at 03:18 AM.
Old July 12, 2009, 11:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
but with cases like these, are you really going to move them around a lot? I wouldn't really worry about that.
Uh...I don't know about you Bojangles but yes...I'm constantly moving my rig from its living position to my workbench as I monkey around with Fans and trying new Cooling Solution configurations. Personally hoisting something thats pushing 50+ lbs compared to maybe 20+ lbs does not appeal to me at all!

Quote:
For some reason there is a lot of hate for this case. I think it's an amazing first attempt and it looks solid. I don't understand the throwing around of "fanboy" just to discredit peoples opinions
When I read back through this thread I think your exagerrating things somewhat stating "a lot of hate for this Case"...I certainly don't see that in the threads at all...one Poster certainly is opinionated on it, but he's entitled to that ..As for the Fanboy comment, likely Liu is assuming that the OP has very little experience with any other Cases and is jumping all over this particular Case because it sports "Corsair"..........

Old July 12, 2009, 01:57 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Uh...I don't know about you Bojangles but yes...I'm constantly moving my rig from its living position to my workbench as I monkey around with Fans and trying new Cooling Solution configurations. Personally hoisting something thats pushing 50+ lbs compared to maybe 20+ lbs does not appeal to me at all!

When I read back through this thread I think your exagerrating things somewhat stating "a lot of hate for this Case"...I certainly don't see that in the threads at all...one Poster certainly is opinionated on it, but he's entitled to that ..As for the Fanboy comment, likely Liu is assuming that the OP has very little experience with any other Cases and is jumping all over this particular Case because it sports "Corsair"..........
You're right hate is the wrong word I should have said negativity. The only real complaints I see are price and material. What I like is that this case was designed with tons of input from the community which to me is huge. It's their first attempt and if using steel was a mistake the sales will reflect that and I'm sure aluminum will be used the second time around. As an enthusiast I'm excited that another quality company is entering the case market. It can only be good for us.

Old July 12, 2009, 02:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
As an enthusiast I'm excited that another quality company is entering the case market. It can only be good for us.
+1 ^^^^