Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 8, 2009, 01:18 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Corsair Reps have been saying $300 USD. Which would be reasonable considering all the features and its even painted inside. At that price it would be a steal. Lets hope it does retail at that.

Old July 8, 2009, 01:54 PM
Top Prospect

Any word on a release yet? I might hold out for a few reviews before purchasing it as there are a few cases coming out i might consider over this.
Old July 8, 2009, 01:56 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Tell me if I am wrong but have any company already done a on the go disk system like that? If yes tell me wich model because this is one of the reason I'm going to get this case!
It looks like there might be a couple out there other than the Obsidian, but this is the first consumer case I've seen with the ability to hot-swap drives from the front of the case (that's a capability usually left to server cases). The first I was able to find is the Lian-li TYR PC-X2000. The second, very similar case is the ABS Canyon. Both of these cases are HUGE, hard to find or very expensive, whereas the Obsidian is of standard full tower dimensions, and is going to hit stores for $299 USD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouki View Post
Any word on a release yet? I might hold out for a few reviews before purchasing it as there are a few cases coming out i might consider over this.
The "offical word" is Q3 2009, so some time between July and September

It was originally supposed to come out early July, but due to issues with retooling, etc. they've had to push it back.

---
Bob - Core i3 530 | Gigabyte H55N-USB3 | 4GB DDR3 | Corsair H50 w/ TFC Triebwerk | Silverstone SG06
Old July 8, 2009, 01:58 PM
MVP
F@H

can't lie when i say i'm uber excited. am hoping to get some clients who are building their new computers in one of these. won't hesitate to throw up a worklog if i do get the chance to work with one!
Old July 8, 2009, 02:03 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by steers View Post
It looks like there might be a couple out there other than the Obsidian, but this is the first consumer case I've seen with the ability to hot-swap drives from the front of the case (that's a capability usually left to server cases). The first I was able to find is the Lian-li TYR PC-X2000. The second, very similar case is the ABS Canyon. Both of these cases are HUGE, hard to find or very expensive, whereas the Obsidian is of standard full tower dimensions, and is going to hit stores for $299 USD.

The "offical word" is Q3 2009, so some time between July and September

It was originally supposed to come out early July, but due to issues with retooling, etc. they've had to push it back.
Yeah i remember hearing something about july but nothing since. OT but the haf 922 blocks my TRUE backplate by about half an inch so that hole is kinda useless to me.
Old July 8, 2009, 02:13 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouki View Post
Yeah i remember hearing something about july but nothing since. OT but the haf 922 blocks my TRUE backplate by about half an inch so that hole is kinda useless to me.
Yeah, that was one of the main reasons for the delay of this case. If you watch their videos from Computex, you'll see the engineering sample they're using has the backplate hatch in the wrong spot for the Gigabyte motherboard they're using. Of course the CPU location varies between boards, and it would be quite futile to make sure the hatch is compatible with all of them. Hopefully they'll just say "good enough" soon and get the case out the door so I can finally get my hands on one

---
Bob - Core i3 530 | Gigabyte H55N-USB3 | 4GB DDR3 | Corsair H50 w/ TFC Triebwerk | Silverstone SG06
Old July 8, 2009, 02:15 PM
Top Prospect

Man corsair is way too loved now adays because of their power supplies. Which are getting overly recommended these days considering the strong competition out now.

This case is 300USD dollars and is made out of steel. If you go to newegg.com, there is no case that is steel/aluminum at this price.

The closest being a thermaltake with a liquid cooling system preinstalled.

I would have no beef against this system, if it was made out of aluminum which is entirely possible at this price and considering the likes of lian-li and silverstone has been done. Heck the antec is atcs is aluminum and has some of the best cooling in the business and is 190US.

What Corsair decided to do here is take advantage of its name branding so it can increase its margins by removing the aluminum, because they know people will buy this for the corsair name alone.

This is hardly revolutionary or market changing like their power supplies which seemed to make people love corsair too much.
Old July 8, 2009, 03:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't give a crap what name is on this thing. I like the looks of it, and it'll do exactly what I want, but if it costs too much they can eat shit. They can sell it for massive profit and sell a few, or cheaper and sell tons, as I can't think of many reasons why people wouldn't use this.

I don't see why it wouldn't come out around the cost of the Antec P180 series cases..... Anything more and you're paying for the name, which I am not likely to do.
Old July 8, 2009, 03:58 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Pricing will be around $299 USD fyi
Old July 8, 2009, 04:56 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
Pricing will be around $299 USD fyi
This is the price of the lian li v2010 and the silverstone tj 07. Both very water friendly proven craftsmanship and all aluminum.

The only practical advantage the corsair has is the wire routing, but i have seen some really good jobs done without the corsair wiring wholes. The drive bay is pretty gimmicky because how often do we swap in and out HD?

Aluminum allows better heat dissipation, looks better and is lighter.

I was really excited about this case until they said it was going to be a steel case.