Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Cases (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/)
-   -   fan controller question... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/19438-fan-controller-question.html)

dmccaulley June 30, 2009 10:52 AM

fan controller question...

I have been looking around for a fan controller to put in my new case to finish it off... i wanted one that could also double as an LED controller as well. The sunbeam Rheobus offers LED control, but ive read a lot of reviews about that unit... and a large number of people have said it has caught ON FIRE, so im staying away from that one.

I was looking at the Scythe KAZE Q
Scythe "KAZE Q" Fan Controller 3.5inch

Does anyone know if I would be able to hook up an LED strip to this model? The LED has a molex connector, but its only 2 pins. I have a 3-pin to molex adapter that should be able to connect the LED light to the fan controller... i just dont know if it will work, or if its even safe. Can anyone give me some more info on this?

thanks!

CMetaphor June 30, 2009 11:46 AM

Use neither, I'd suggest getting the Zalman MFC-1 which has built in two wire (12v/5v) switches for controlling Anything... literally. Linkage:
::: Zalman, leading the world of Quiet Computing Solutions :::

Fits into a 5.25" bay though, don't know if that's a dealbreaker or not. But i've used this controller many times over the years and never had a problem using those switches to turn on LEDs, Pumps, etc etc...

Jon_di2 June 30, 2009 12:39 PM

[quote=CMetaphor;216005]Use neither, I'd suggest getting the Zalman MFC-1 which has built in two wire (12v/5v) switches for controlling Anything... literally. Linkage:
::: Zalman, leading the world of Quiet Computing Solutions :::
quote]

Nice price on that controller too.

Newegg.ca - ZALMAN ZM-MFC1 Fan Controller Panel - Controller Panels

dmccaulley June 30, 2009 12:59 PM

i was lookin at the zalman one at first, its nice but sadly it wouldnt match my case... its all black with a black interior, and all red lights. the blue on the controller wouldnt blend.

i was lookin at the kaze q due to its style.

CMetaphor June 30, 2009 01:04 PM

Could always just mod your own blank front panels with single pole, single throw switches :biggrin: that'd work too....

MpG June 30, 2009 02:00 PM

Scythe's fan controllers seem to all have low power-handling abilities. 1A/channel is pretty poor, and the photos make it painfully obvious that they couldn't be bothered to properly heatsink the device, nevermind the cramped 3.5" form-factor. I'd stay far away from those thing, honestly.

dmccaulley June 30, 2009 07:27 PM

actually i talked to a tech support guy from scythe today, and the guy who does all the wiring jobs for frozencpu.com (great site btw)

both of them said it would work just fine... i guess ill give it a try =)

dmccaulley July 3, 2009 10:32 PM

just an update...

the controller DID work with the LEDs, however it wouldnt turn them off, just dim them... so i gotta find another solution.

CMetaphor July 4, 2009 09:19 AM

Try the Sunbeam Rheobus then. It has red then blue lighting while on, but you can also turn it completely off.

dmccaulley July 4, 2009 01:50 PM

ive read alot of reviews about the rheobus... lots of people have said the thing caught on fire... not something im willing to risk lol

I think im just gonna mod a switch panel in a 5.25 bay. maybe use some red led buttons or rocker switches.