Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 25, 2009, 05:00 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default Best Case+PSU Combo?

I'm looking for a cheap case with a psu included. Not a flimsy PSU that will crap out on me though . As long as it's roughly under $90 because I'm trying to decide between that and an RC330 with a 400W Sparkle. Power supply's wattage does not matter much since I"m only running a modest build.

AMD X2 4400+
7900GS
1 HDD
1 DVD Drive
all on a Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe

If there really is nothing better than the RC330 + Sparkle, then thanks anyways

Old June 25, 2009, 05:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

One of the best combo is the Sonata III or you can go pricier with the Sonata Plus. Those are among the few cases I would consider with included PSU.
Old June 25, 2009, 07:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I am really not a supporter of combos like that, unless they include a respectable PSU.
Antec If they include their Earthwatts Line, would be the bare minimum for me. Again, thats just my opinion.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 25, 2009, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Unless your dead set on getting the power supply and case bundled, this is not a bad alternative

OCZ StealthXStream 500W Power Supply - Active PFC, 120mm Fan (OCZ500SXS)

Antec Three Hundred Mini Tower Gaming Case 300 ATX 3X5.25 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB & Audio

Some people don't like the stealthxstream psu's but I find their not bad. I've done a few builds for friends with it and haven't had any problems with them ever

Last edited by CroSsFiRe2009; June 25, 2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old June 25, 2009, 10:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I second Crossfire2009's pick. The sonata just doesn't have any airflow to it. I think it's a nice looking case, but just too restrictive. For a low budget case/psu I almost always pick the Antec 300 and whatever good quality PSU on sale that fits the bill.
Old June 25, 2009, 03:12 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Thanks everyone. I have been looking at the Sonata III but I find it is just a bit out of my price range and that Antec 300 with the OCZ Stealth looks like a great deal for what I am getting. I appreciate the comments and welcome more.

Old June 25, 2009, 03:35 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Also, somewhat off topic, but do the mounting screws for a motherboard come with the motherboard or with the case? :S I really don't have a clue and I'm sorry if that sounds like a stupid question.

Edit: Nevermind, I used google and found my answer. If anyone else doesn't know yet, the mounting screws come with the case.

Old June 25, 2009, 07:57 PM
Rookie

yeah the ocz + antec 300 is prolly the best idea.
Old June 25, 2009, 08:35 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtispan View Post
Also, somewhat off topic, but do the mounting screws for a motherboard come with the motherboard or with the case? :S I really don't have a clue and I'm sorry if that sounds like a stupid question.

Edit: Nevermind, I used google and found my answer. If anyone else doesn't know yet, the mounting screws come with the case.
Make sure you use the right ones. The Power supply screws are NOT the right style. I had someone use those to screw down a mobo and 4 stripped, 1 got stuck in the stud and striped the stud into the case. A hammer and a punch later and it was free, and my mobo was borked.

Wrong.

Right.

Sheep
Old June 25, 2009, 08:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
Make sure you use the right ones. The Power supply screws are NOT the right style. I had someone use those to screw down a mobo and 4 stripped, 1 got stuck in the stud and striped the stud into the case. A hammer and a punch later and it was free, and my mobo was borked.

Wrong.

Right.

Sheep
Then someone was an idiot because the screws you linked in the first CAN work. There are a few variations from a round head, flat head AND hex head.

Computer case screws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The guy probably put a coarse thread into a fine thread standoff.