Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 20, 2009, 07:50 PM
Top Prospect

Difficult is in no way a problem.
My definition of silent of course, in this context, is not < ambiance + 0.5db, which is the threshold where my ear couldn't tell the difference. Decently quiet however would is very very appealing to me, currently having a (NOISY) old 8800gts, and 4 fans in an oldie (mid 90s, with turbo button!) case, not even sure if it's atx. Unfortunately, it's not well built (i sold all my custom cases and haven't left myself one when i pulled out!) and it amplifies my hdd's (2 500s and a 1tb) + fans. NOISY 500w type-r doesn't help.

That's why i'm looking for a nice, quiet case, with enough airflow, and a good, quiet power supply for it. PSU doesn't necessarily need to have a quiet fan, i'll replace that, but quiet coils and since the psu's are switching in design, efficient circuits with high frequencies (although i take it that's covered by standards) are critical.

Thanks a bunch for the help though. How is your truepower quattro?
Old June 20, 2009, 09:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-sanity View Post
Thanks a bunch for the help though. How is your truepower quattro?
The fan itself is quite though I'm pretty sure the capacitors "whine". It's either the PSU or my GPU, never really bothered to look into it. Just became used to it.

My SilverStone FT01-BW is a pretty quiet case too seeing as it has dual 180mm fans, sound dampening foam on the panels, and solid unibody aluminum construction. I have the 120mm fans on my radiator (2x Scythe S-FLEX "F") and exhaust (GELID Wing 12) running at about 1200RPM. It's quiet overall and can be forgotten about once I have some music/games playing.
Old June 20, 2009, 09:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Be aware of the Antec P series, I can't remeber wich one have this fetures but there isa kind of plastic foam inside the case to prevent noise. That keep heat in the inside.anf because of the door ( wich is a comon problem for every door case ) the intake airflow is a little bit noisi because of turbulence of the air and sometime intake isnt realy good ( have expereice this wich my own case ( that's why my sig said withremoved door ). For the rest these case are good price and awsome IMO.

Regard

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old June 21, 2009, 07:01 AM
Top Prospect

That's the problem lol... it needs to be forgotten about even once music and games stop playing.
I'm an audiophile and use my room for listening mostly. Once you get into the middle and upper crusts of high-end audio (5k-20k+) you'll realize the importance of room acoustics and dead silence. I often play thru a dac, from my pc, and sometimes i surf while listening, hence the audibility requirement.

Only high voltage caps whine when they charge (think of the "rail-gun charge-up sound" from movies) and bad caps about to pop.
Coils make a hell of a whine though if improperly used to of generally low quality.

Thanks for the replies! I'll keep an eye out for those antec p's (as in an eye and an ak...).

Cheers!

EDIT2: After much review, i have settled on the antec p1xx series. They are the most enclosed and silence happy cases i see so far in an affordable, moddable and stylish package.

My one question left is: What is the big difference between the 180, 182, 183 and 193 ?
Other then the obvious 193 having more fans and intakes...

Last edited by n-sanity; June 21, 2009 at 07:28 AM.
Old June 21, 2009, 09:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Price, some little look, cable management and space inside these monster. Quality of the infront intake ( because of the hole in the door of the P-183 ). and finish result there is one of them wich it feeling plastic on the exterior I can't remember wich one. that's about all. for the rest they are almost a rebrand with little change.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old June 21, 2009, 09:20 AM
Top Prospect

Cool. Heavy modding will be present, so p180 it is. I think i'll cross-drill the front grille, either make a bondo scoop for the top fan or cover the whole altogether and pad the insides with acoustikill...

Thanks for the advice all, question answered! Thread closed.
Old June 21, 2009, 10:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

The difference between the P180 and 182 have mostly to do with the cable management. So if your modding will include cutting slots/holes for routing cabling behind the motherboard, the 180 will be fine. Otherwise, the 182 gives you a headstart on that front.
Old June 21, 2009, 01:11 PM
Top Prospect

Dremel's my third hand. I usually grind in slots where mobo-trays curve outwards for rigidity, to make 'stealth' slots :D Quality trays don't do that though, so dremel to the rescue. Thanks for the advice!

What's your 920 build involve?
Old June 21, 2009, 05:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-sanity View Post
What's your 920 build involve?
Wooden bench, actually. Not sure why I didn't do this a long time ago. Incomplete, which is why the CPU is still on air.
Old June 21, 2009, 08:11 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Wooden bench, actually. Not sure why I didn't do this a long time ago. Incomplete, which is why the CPU is still on air.
My first conroe lived on my desk until its 3rd birthday when i got an ancient p2 case for it...