Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 3, 2009, 08:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default CM 690 Custom Mod

I supposively have about 40 bright blue LEDs that i'm going to be using about 5-10 on a different project however i was wondering if its possible, and safe to use one of the 5V peripheral power connect to run some of theses mounted throughout the case. My plan is to drill holes in my new case when i order them (not sure if i'll do floor lighting like in cars, or do some on the back/side, though would love to hear suggestions on it) wire up x amount of LEDs in parallel, have them all go through a resistor (i'm assuming 10k Ohms to begin with for safety measures on the PSU and the LEDs) and have it go to either a dip switch, a push button, or something, so i can control if i want them on or not. Now will this potentially damage my power supply if i use the right connector (aka chop one off an old fan and use the red/black aka negative and positive wires) or is it kind of impossible or safety features are built into a power supply to prevent something bad from happening with my experiment.

Case i am going to be moding: NCIX.com - Buy Coolermaster CM 690 Mid Tower Black ATX Case 5X5.25 5X3.5INT No PS Front USB Sound Firewire & eSATA - RC-690-KKN1 In Canada.
I haven't gotten it yet (ordered a couple of days ago) and i was thinking probably going to do the side panel at a couple of spots, maybe rear as well. Though would that look tacky or i may have to see how it looks "on paper"

Last edited by Arinoth; June 5, 2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old June 3, 2009, 09:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

There have been a lot of fews but no comments, is my idea a completely bad idea, not a lot of people know about voltage/current/resistance and how to balance them out or what? I'd love to hear any kind of comments on it
Old June 3, 2009, 11:59 PM
MVP

Really doubt it would damage your psu. What are your system specs?

I really have no idea what kinda wattage 30-35 led's pull, but it can't be all that much. Also your idea sounds fine, sadly I wouldn't know what you'd need to use for a resistor.
Old June 4, 2009, 12:04 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

You can wire a bunch in Parallel with one resistor but its not really a good idea as you will probably end up with a bunch of burnt out LED's if it does work all the LED's would have to be the SAME otherwise you will have different brightness between the colors and some probably wont pass the smoke test...

do you have the specs sheet or a link for these LED's?

5 or 12v would work with the correct resistor... red LED's use about 2v so in that case you could use the 3.3 if you wanted.

if you just want to get away with using 1 resistor you should put them in series and calculate the total V drop across all the LED's

so R = (V1-V2) / I
R being the value of the resistor V1= the Supply voltage, V2 = total drop across all the LED's I = the current your LED should see...

hope this makes sense...
Old June 4, 2009, 08:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Oh i know most of the calculations for them, though the LEDs do not have any spec sheets though they are all the same, a sort of clear blud LEDs so i know the brightness should all be the same. I was also figure i'd test it with a more "controlled" way first, ergo using one of my electronics power supply which i can vary the voltage and test on a couple of the LEDs before hooking it up to the computer and its PSU
Old June 4, 2009, 07:22 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

it will be hard to do it right without the specs.
Old June 4, 2009, 09:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9077 are the exact ones i'm pickin up
Old June 4, 2009, 11:11 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Wow no specs at that site.. also noticed that someone commented that they are not all the same brightness..
might be someone who doesn't know what they are doing but looks like a few people got stuck without the data on the thing.

Does your Variable power supply show current while your adjusting the voltage?

if so you could blow one or two up and graph it out.
increase the voltage slowly until the LED comes on then increase the voltage in the smallest increment your power supply can.. and watch the current go up.
you will probably see a very small voltage window before it smokes.. say it needs 3v to light it, and 3.08v might destroy it.
they will probably need 20-30mA but im not sure on that...

if a simple spec sheet isnt available or doesn't come with them, it could be they are factory rejects and just being sold as-is for hobbyists..
wont be a big deal just a little more work..
Old June 5, 2009, 07:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, can't seem to find that variable power supply, going to have to go with my other one that is 5 V.
Will be using a voltage divider circuit to give me different voltages (starting at around 1V) and have my multi-meter hooked up in series to measure the current coming that will be after the resistor that will be the current limitor in the circuit. I'm guessing i shouldn't be going over 3V but who knows really, one of the reasons i bought 40 for about 5$, it'll be an experimentation to see what is the correct voltage/current settings, i don't care if i blow one or two having that many left over to rig up.
Old June 5, 2009, 06:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

You could always wire these up paralel on the 12v 4 pin connectors as well ;) it might be easier to figure out the exact specs then daisy chain a few of them and make more then 1 chain, be alot easier to string them all over the case then having to run 1 steady wire.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.