Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 19, 2009, 05:21 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default Ghosted DVD drive on Antec 900. Simple/Quick/Cheap!

So I had seen before how someone had hid their optical drive on their Antec 900 behind a modded grill. Since then I've been wanting to do it but haven't gotten around to it.

I believe they used hot glue but I came up with something a little more simple as well you do not need to use the eject command to open it.

All you need is some plastic bumpers (like the kind that are under a glass cutting board for feet), some velcro strips, a dremel or other cutting tool to modify the 5.25 grill insert, and an antec 900 w/optical drive!

[youtube]C4UlDc6JLqc[/youtube]

I made a video bu my camera is a piece of junk and youtube made it even darker than it was.

so I also took some pics.
Basically all I did was first cut the mounting sides off of one of your extra 5.25 grill inserts.
Then I had to remove the face plate and tray cover from my drive.
I then placed a strip of sticky back velcro to the drive tray and put the other side of the velcro directly onto that.

You're going to want to make sure you're drive is in far enough. Mine is as far back as it can go without me having to drill new holes to put the screws in. So it can't go back any farther unless I get my drill out. lol
Then you simply push the grill (with foam insert) into place on the optical drive and push it in tight to make sure the glue sticks.

Thats it! Thats the hard part. You can leave it here if you want and just use the eject command but I found that to be a pain, especially if you have to open the drive before windows starts to boot of something.

So thats where these little plastic sticky back bumpers come in.
I cut one so that it would fit and put it directly onto the little round eject button under the grill, this wasn't high enough so I then put a full one in the same place but on the grill side.

Now all you have to do is push the grill in the bottom right corner and it opens!
If you need to remove this or chage it its simply a matter of peeling the velcro off and putting your faceplate back on. Only part thats permanent is the cutting of the grill (which you had one spare where you're drive would be anyways ) and you can always order a new one from antec if you so desire.

Tada.
Simple
Quick
Easy
Cheap.

Hardest part was cutting the grill, and well thats not very hard.

What do you guys think?

Old March 19, 2009, 05:54 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Is the grill flush with the case? Neat simple mod.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 19, 2009, 06:13 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Yep The grill is flush with the rest of them.

You can kind of see it in the 5th pic.
Old March 19, 2009, 06:42 PM
Allstar

Elegant, I approve.
Old March 19, 2009, 06:43 PM
MVP

That's a good freakin idea.
Why didn't I think of that
Old March 19, 2009, 09:36 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Thanks guys! I really like it. I was thinking of doing something similar with the fan controller but like making a flop down door out of the grill or cutting out circular holes for the knobs to fit through, but that is a bit more work than this.
Old October 30, 2009, 07:40 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MAX View Post
Thanks guys! I really like it. I was thinking of doing something similar with the fan controller but like making a flop down door out of the grill or cutting out circular holes for the knobs to fit through, but that is a bit more work than this.

... reviving an old thread here... but...

just wanted to thank you for your idea. I decided to hide my ODD yesterday on my Antec 902. I had everything under my hand... Result is impressive! I had to drill screw holes in my case because I had to push my ODD further back and the holes wouldn't align... but it definitely looks "stealthy" now...