Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 17, 2009, 01:48 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default 38mm fans in my antec 900

Bought 3 scythe kaze 3000 fans off donimo which are 38mm, and after some googling it sounds like they wont fit in to the hdd cages without some sort of modding. Now ive got to try and find a way to actually mode the bays for the fans.
Im fairly certain that i can pretty much just detach the part that holds the hdds and put the fan in that way, at least for one of them since ill have 2 drives in the other bay.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to make this work?

Stock fans are only 25mm so its quite a big difference between the two
Mobo: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
Memory: 4gb OCZ Platinum 1000mhz ddr2
Graphics: 2x Sapphire 4830s in Crossfire
Keyboard: Logitech G11
Mouse: Logitech G9
HD:WD 640gb Caviar Black + 750gb Seagate
#hardwarecanucks on irc.enterthegame.com
Old March 20, 2009, 08:40 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

[edited for stupidty]

should have checked the name posting, seen you on here a lot and should have known you would no better. lol

-1 to me. lol

Last edited by The MAX; March 20, 2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old March 20, 2009, 09:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hes talking about how thick the fan is. 120x38mm instead of 120x25mm.
Old March 20, 2009, 09:53 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

only thing I can think of is sanding down the edges of the fan so that they the part sticking out of the plastic mount will fit into the drive bay.
You may have to cut off the little stops for the hard drives and the drives will most likely have to be mounted further into the case, this maybe an issue cause the holes may no longer line up on the bay with the drives...

It honestly doesn't sound worth the hassel.
I would mount 1 in the back, and one on the side panel and try and get rid of the other one.
Or you could use one bay for drives with the stock fan, take out the other bay and make a "wind tunnel" with the extra fan bracket and the 1 scythe fan and the outside bracket and scythe fan and mount them directly to the case as opposed to the bay. Third fan could go in back or side....

Last option I can think of is toss the stock bays and mount the fan brackets directly to case and either get 5.25->3.5 conveter for your drives, or just mock them up with something. I've seen it done somewhere before in an antec 900.
something like this

good luck!
Old March 21, 2009, 11:01 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MAX View Post
only thing I can think of is sanding down the edges of the fan so that they the part sticking out of the plastic mount will fit into the drive bay.
You may have to cut off the little stops for the hard drives and the drives will most likely have to be mounted further into the case, this maybe an issue cause the holes may no longer line up on the bay with the drives...

It honestly doesn't sound worth the hassel.
I would mount 1 in the back, and one on the side panel and try and get rid of the other one.
Or you could use one bay for drives with the stock fan, take out the other bay and make a "wind tunnel" with the extra fan bracket and the 1 scythe fan and the outside bracket and scythe fan and mount them directly to the case as opposed to the bay. Third fan could go in back or side....

Last option I can think of is toss the stock bays and mount the fan brackets directly to case and either get 5.25->3.5 conveter for your drives, or just mock them up with something. I've seen it done somewhere before in an antec 900.
something like this

good luck!
Ya im thinking i can actually take the hard drive holding part out of the cages and theyll fit, at least for one of them, and then the case did come with one 3.5" converter so i can put one drive there, only problem is now i have 2 drives. Im thinking ill stick one in the empty drive bay, one on the rear of the case, and one on my vendetta 2. Then maybe take the fan that was on my vendetta and stick that on the front bay that has the hdds. That way ill finally get rid of those annoying blue leds and can control all my fans without opening the case.
Mobo: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
Memory: 4gb OCZ Platinum 1000mhz ddr2
Graphics: 2x Sapphire 4830s in Crossfire
Keyboard: Logitech G11
Mouse: Logitech G9
HD:WD 640gb Caviar Black + 750gb Seagate
#hardwarecanucks on irc.enterthegame.com