Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 8, 2009, 12:39 PM
Rookie

Post Looking for a case with good compromise on air flow/noise

Hi all! First message on this board, but long time reader.

First, I want to appologize I'm a french speaker so my english isn't really good.

I'm currently updating my old rig to a newer one.

Specs :
Core i7 920
6gb Aeneon
Asus P6T
Geforce 260 GTX
2x750gb samsung in raid 0
And an old 550w PSU from enermax (will be replaced in the future)

However, I can't decide on a case.

I need something fairly quiet (not silent) but with a good airflow since I want to overclock quite a bit and maybe go to SLI in the future.

Problem is, quiet cases are often heavy and I attend 5-6 times a year to lan parties.

Budget is between 100 and 300$, but for 300$ I expect something really good that will last me.

Case designs that I like :
Coolermaster Cosmos S (abstolutely gorgeous, but all alu structure mean lot of noise from the hard drives). Not cheap and at the same time looks cheaper on the inside than the cosmos 1000.

Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 : looks good (would prefer black however), but really really heavy for lans

Antec 900 : ok design, good price, but seems noisy

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by Damian; March 8, 2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old March 8, 2009, 05:43 PM
MVP

The Cosmos S has rubber grommets on the sides of the HDD enclosure so there won't be any noise from the drives. It does have handles on the top which is nice when you need to carry it around.

The 900's fans can be turned down if you prefer but if you attend alot of lans, you might want a case that 100 other people won't have. Maybe I just like to be different though =).

The CM HAF 932 is a nice case in that price range, though it is pretty large and heavy so..

Your overclock will be based on many thing before the airflow in your case, so I would say as long as you have at least 3 or 4 fans in the case you should be good for airflow.
Old March 8, 2009, 06:20 PM
Rookie

First, thank you vm for the answer!

My only problem right now is that my good old Thermalright Ultra 120 won't fit on the Cosmos S since it's too tall and so I need to buy another less efficient heatsink.

Others case I found while searching are the Coolermaster HAF and the Antec 900 Two.
Old March 8, 2009, 09:25 PM
Top Prospect

Hi Damian ...

I've been planning a new rig and I was in the same predicament as you, I couldn't decide on the case.

Initially I was looking at the cosmos S (It's drop dead gorgeous) but I found there was actually not much room (for the heat sink) inside and I've heard about problems with the power button.

After a lot of research I finally decided on the HAF 932. It's big and hefty but as far as air flow goes, It can't be beat. Because of the big (230mm) fans the noise level is quite good. Some people say the HAF is butt ugly but the looks definitely grow on you.

Hope this helps you ...
Old March 9, 2009, 08:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

What about the Antec P180s? They have sound dampening side panels which might help. And they are only mid-towers so it might not be super heavy.

And TBH, I wouldn't run that 550W Enermax, especially since you say it's old. I think your just asking for trouble.
Old March 9, 2009, 08:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

On air cooling and looking for a heavy overclock, noise is going to be one of the tradeoffs, unfortunately.

A few things you can do is get rubber washers for all your screws. Get some silicon fan gaskets to help quiet your fans down.

Replace the fans that come with your case with some quieter fans like the Scythe S-Flex series or something like that.

You can also get a fan controller so you can turn things down when you aren't stressing your system and it will run quieter.

You can buy some sound dampening material to absorb even more sound (the Akasa stuff is supposed to be good)
Old March 9, 2009, 08:17 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

The cosmos 1000 is a great case for noise but not for cooling. My case temps went through the roof when I switched to my Cosmos 1000. The only way to keep the temps down AND keep it quiet (with a high performace machine) was to put everything under water and mod the case, otherwise you end up adding lots of high spinning fans to cool the interior which ends up making the case noisy. I would go with the HAF 932 if you are going to overclock.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old March 9, 2009, 08:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Go with a CM-690 lol its cheap its fairly quite its pretty light and will support SLI and if you go with the side panel version you can fit a true in its depths. The Cosmos S is roughly the same weight as its little brother btw. And any of the Eatx sized cases are going to be HUGE so no mater what the weight is their just all around clumsy to get to lan parties. Just my 2 cents, I own a 690 and I love it, may not be the most expensive or flashy but to me its beautifull.
Old March 9, 2009, 08:50 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
What about the Antec P180s? They have sound dampening side panels which might help. And they are only mid-towers so it might not be super heavy.

And TBH, I wouldn't run that 550W Enermax, especially since you say it's old. I think your just asking for trouble.

+1

I love my P182.... just not sure if it would fit your ultra 120.
CPU:Core i7 920 (Batch#3841A)
RAM:6BG Aeneon DDR3-1866MHz
GPU:EVGA GTX 285
DATA HDD:Western Digital 640GB Caviar Black (x2 soon)
OPTICAL:LG GGC-H20L Blu-Ray
PSU:Corsair HX1000W Modular
WATERBLOCK:???
RES:Swiftech
PUMP:Swiftech MCP655
Display: Sony 40" w series 1080p + Dell 2209WA
Old March 9, 2009, 12:45 PM
Rookie

Well guys thank you very much for all your comments!

I've decided to go with an HAF. It's big, but lighter than the Cosmos 1000 & s.

For 5-6 time a year I think I can handle that.

There was so much good comments and press about the HAF that I couldn’t resist. However, I'll replace 120mm fans with some Yate Loon.

Concerning the PSU, I decided to upgrade to a new Corsair 850w. It's a bit overkill but I won't have to upgrade it for a while.