Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23, 2009, 01:28 PM
Rookie

Question Antec P182 lower fan (slight) mod possibility

Hi

I was wondering about the divider between the PSU and HD cage on the bottom.

Between the PSU and the divider, there is a fan on the PSU side of the divider.

Is it practical to reattach the fan to the HD side of the divider just by simply unscrewing the fan's mounting screws, relocating the fan so it's between the divider and the HD cage, and using the screws to fasten it on the right side?

I'm case hunting.
Old February 23, 2009, 02:15 PM
Banned
F@H

Hmmm...interesting question. I'm not sure it would have any benefit though...but it DOES look possible...
Old February 23, 2009, 04:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

I believe it's physically possible, although I can't remember if there's enough clearance with HDD's installed in the bottom cage. Honestly, I'm not sure why you'd bother having that fan down there at all. It gets in the way of cables, and there's nothing to cool down there except the PSU and HDD's.
Old February 23, 2009, 05:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Something to consider...

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...installed.html

Quote:
Is it practical to reattach the fan to the HD side of the divider just by simply unscrewing the fan's mounting screws
Unsure of how practical it is, but it can work. Simply remove the fan housing and screw the fan in from the PSU side, although you might need remove the PSU to make enough room to fit a screw driver in there unless you have a flexible screwdriver.

Regards,

EE
Old February 23, 2009, 09:25 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
...Honestly, I'm not sure why you'd bother having that fan down there at all. It gets in the way of cables, and there's nothing to cool down there except the PSU and HDD's.
Well, that sounds like a worthwhile target.

However, while reading the replies here I went back to the SPCR article to re-read it (it's been a while and I was concerned about the comments here) and it said:
Quote:
The lower chamber fan was not necessary for HDD cooling.
The slow 120mm fan in the Nexus PSU created enough airflow (with the extra vents around the PSU on the back panel blocked off) via the front vent of the low chamber to keep the hard drives quite cool. Some users want to see <40C, but in the vast majority of systems from the likes of Dell, HP, etc., the HDDs usually run close to 50C. Most manufacturers rate desktop HDD operation to be safe up to 60C.
It sounds good if the PSU fan moves sufficient air, but what if the PSU fan moves slowly because the PSU doesn't heat up much during typical relaxed PC use?

And so I think, if it's easy to do, I could cover all the bases by having the fan on the HD side of the divider (for longish PSU's and PSU cable management) to take up the cooling slack of a slow-moving PSU fan. I assume no harm will arise from that fan spinning at low/medium with acceptable acoustics, plus the fan already comes with the case.

I'm hoping the SATA HD cables won't get in the way either, although I read of one poster who mounted the drives with the power/data adapters facing the case front. This would be acceptable to me if the drives could still be mounted securely for anti-vibrations' sake.
Old February 23, 2009, 09:33 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
I came across that interesting link when I did my P182 topic search here.

I have no aesthetic problems with the P183.

(The closest I come to power tools is during dentist appointments. He says he can hardly hear his MP3's over my screaming.)

Last edited by ZForgetAboutIt; February 23, 2009 at 10:12 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old February 24, 2009, 01:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Man if I had the tools, I would rip out that divider any day of the week. It causes me so many nuisances. I actually took out the fan completely because it got in the way when trying to plug in modular cables to my 620HX. Now there's no airflow on the HDDs, but they're designed to be operated in no airflow conditions.
Old February 24, 2009, 02:41 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
Man if I had the tools, I would rip out that divider ...
I'd like to know your thoughts on moving your fan to the right side of the divider. That should fix your PSU concerns.
Old February 25, 2009, 03:09 PM
Top Prospect

Take out the fan inbetween the PSU and the HDD cage. Follow that worklog that Eagly Eye posted and put the fan in front of the HDD cage.
Old February 26, 2009, 05:30 PM
Allstar

I was too lazy to mod the lower chamber to put the fan in front of the HD's but did repalce the tricool with a Scythe Slipstream. There is no room on the HD side of the partition to mount the fan and expect to use the lower drive bays as designed. I have no problems with the fan on the PSU side with a PPC&C Silencer 750. I did however remove the plastic fan hlder and softmount the fan directly to the divider.