Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 14, 2009, 07:02 PM
Rookie

Default which of these two?

Which of these two cases would be the best choice?

Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Case

OR

Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case

I've seen both reviews but would like some opinions.........thanks
Old February 14, 2009, 07:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Depends on your budget. I personally went for the HAF, I couldn't justify the extra cost for the ATC 840. I don't regret it at all!

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old February 14, 2009, 07:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I used to really like the look of the HAF, but since they released the ATC I like that one more. I think you can justify the price difference between the two on looks, if you favor the ATC 840. You're going to be staring at your case all of the time, no point in having something you don't fully like. What you could also do, is get the ATC 840 with a side window.
Old February 14, 2009, 07:32 PM
Top Prospect

I like the 840 of these two, simply because the style and look of the HAF didn't seem like something I could live with long term.

Personally I went with the Lian Li PC-V1010B case. I bought it from Xpress Canada for $236, which is an amazing price. Newegg.ca has it for $322 and NCIX has it for $280, you could alway PM with NCIX if you'd rather order from them.

I like very nice cases with a smooth clean style, the Lian Li V1010B was the case for me for sure. The HAF was a little to flashy for what I wanted, but I did consider the 840 in my search for a new case. i finally decided that I had to have a case with seperate zones to keep my system cool and the wide open area of teh 840 was a turn off for me. I sure did like the idea of those two 230mm fans at the top of the case though.

Here is a couple of shots from my case, prior to me replacing the Audigy with the Auzentech Forte. A shot with and without the center support bar that holds a 120mm fan. I really like that the HDD and power supply area is seperate from the rest of the case, it makes for great air flow control and cable management.

Old February 14, 2009, 08:37 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I would go with the HAF if your on a budget, if money doesn't matter then ATCS all the way!
"My brother is dead. He's not here Anymore. But on my back, and in my heart...He lives on in me. I will make a hole through heaven itself, even if that hole becomes my grave. As long as I break through, I will be victorious.Who the **** do you think I am?"
Old February 14, 2009, 09:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The HAF is one of the ugliest cases I have ever owned and I love it to death! You won't regret it.
Old February 14, 2009, 10:09 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
The HAF is one of the ugliest cases I have ever owned and I love it to death!
I can't figure out if your recommending or insulting the thing

Old February 15, 2009, 06:26 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama_egg View Post
I can't figure out if your recommending or insulting the thing

I was trying to figure out the same thing....lol

That's a nice case too NightRain.......
Old February 15, 2009, 07:21 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I own and use both (and reviewed both). First....read the reviews ;).
Then ask yourself what the case will be housing and used for. If you plan to WC ATCS is easier. IF you plan multi-SLI the HAF is better (unless you stick the black box unto the back of the atcs that is). IF you want a quiet case...the atcs wins by a hair. IF you are on a budget the haf wins. IF you need as many hdds caddies as possible the atcs wins. If you need a removable mobo tray the atcs wins. If looks matter BOTH win...as both will become bueatiful to you PDQ! IF you plan on air cooling only with one gpu the haf wins by a hair....etc etc :)

YMMV, but I hope this helps :)

AkG

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 16, 2009, 10:07 AM
Top Prospect

Well I am a Lian-Li fanboi and it was tough leaving them, selling my 2000 Plus II to a bud and buying the Coolermaster ATCS 840.....But I have not looked back.

I will say I miss the casters on my Lian-Li, but I really love my ATCS, the mobo tray is alone worth the cost of admission. Slides in and out like butter in the Gobi, and the back plane cut out? Money. Excellent cable routing, came with many stick on cable wraps, tie wraps, and cut outs in the mobo tray, and a 8pin cable extention(though my OZC 1000w cable was long enough). You need to buy a few 120mm fans to fill it out, and I reversed the rear exhaust to be an intake and man oh man it beat my Lian-Li in temps hands down. Building is a dream, but its big, no wait thats a lie, its Colossal!

I will disagree with the review in major point, screw secured discrete cards is the only way to go, for 13 years I worked for a vendor, and I have tried every damn stupid non screw method (or very close to it) and all failed me at one piont or another, we still see it now in desktop cases from our vendors, crap every one I have tried or used. Give me tried, tested, and truly secured screwed down discrete cards. And honestly? I upgrade every quarter, and not every quarter do I have to remove or add a card, so how much time does it save? Same could be said about mobo tray I supposed, but I change coolers/cpus several times per motherboard, so it is a savings and the time saved not having to remove board for cooler/cpu change? pricless for everthing else there is sex.

The ATCS is expensvie, but I am from the Lian-Li world, so it was not such a sticker shock.

The sides when off are a bit flimsy, but once on they are solid and sturdy, also no case I have ever owned sides slide on and off as easily and as well as the ATCS, including my Lian-Lis. The ATCS is a bit bland, but I am function over form kinda guy,I dont care for bling or flash, I wan't function and useability. The biggest downfall I see for me is the black box for the rear, sheesh and enhineer make work project, and I leave my system runnign 24/7, no idea how I will source 240mm fans when bearings go (I assume they will as I forsee no reason to change out this case for a long time.).

Also mounting a triple 120mm rad is easy, I did it just for fun, few screws, attach brackets and tada!

Corsair 600T White
Asus RoG Maximus V Gene
Intel i7-2600K w/Corsair H100
16GB Gskill DDR3 2400MHz
AMD R9 290X
OCZ Revo 3 240GB
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB
WD Velocirapter 600GB
LG DVD burner
LG Bluray Burner
Windows 7x64 Prem
Asus VE24/VE27/VE24