Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 2, 2009, 05:47 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Default SilverStone RV01 Raven Case Review Comment Thread

Well its certainly isn't everyday we get to look at something so different, so funky, so INNOVATIVE that it may just change the whole way we look are cases in the future....is the SilverStone Raven that case? Yes and no. It certainly is funky in a love it / hate it kind of way, and it certainly is innovative. Heck, the tech behind it certainly does work! But all that plastic!? Personally it is not my cup of tea, BUT it may be yours! To see how things went and what we discovered set aside the next half hour and take a ride on the SilverStone Raven Review. Its worth the wait and the effort!

You can check out my review of this award winning case here: SS Raven

Hope you enjoy it!
AkG

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 2, 2009, 06:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I think you guys are right in saying its a First Gen setup. A lot of stuff looks to be missed when new designs unfold like that.
The theory is sound, and what they wanted to accomplish works, however it does take away from some things Silverstone is known for.
I have no idea how one would W/C that setup either (something tells me your Freezone Elite would not like to be inverted like that.
Hopefully, it sells to enough people that they make a revision of it, with a few changes.
Scary thing is AkG, my 39.99 Ultra Case came with more accessories....
Still overall it was a great review, and a new way of doing cases which ended up better than the Lan-Li one for 1/3rd the cost.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 2, 2009, 07:25 AM

To WC this beast you'd have to yank off the back plastic panel, leave it bare metal and attach you single/dual/triple to the outside of the case. Though to be honest anyone who would buy this case for WC'ing would have to be either insane, into DIY'ing...or both. This really is a Air ONLY case...even if it does have two badly placed holes for wc'ing built in (at the bottom of mobo area next to rear fan), which I think are more "leftovers" from the orignal case they used and modified for the Raven build.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 2, 2009, 07:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

A Ground up build would have worked best for this one, instead of re-using many other parts. However that would have drastically inflated costs.
I do imagine for AC only though, the TRUE and such would shine inside for sure.
Hopefully Gen 2 will be an improvment over Gen 1 for these.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 2, 2009, 08:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Great review and thank you I was looking for a nice detailed review this morning, couldn't have been better timing.

I have been impressed by this case since the first day I stumbled upon it at Silverstone's website and the more I look at it the more I like it, mostly for its very unique design. Ofcourse its not without its setbacks any first attempt at a completely new design will, I agree with you on many aspects of the review and hopefuly Silverstone will see the results as a constructive way to improve on a new design. We can only hope that Silverstone will continue this line, however if the first gen sales don't meet expectations we're likely never to see a 2nd generation. It might be best to suggest to Silverstone that any improvements needed be made as soon as possible because I don't see this case being very popular amongst enthusiasts or enough to make them swtich.

Thanks again AkG,

EE
Old February 2, 2009, 09:08 AM

Yeah I agree EE, IIRC Chemming almost tried something similar many moons ago...but it never made it past the mock up / demo stage. Got to give SS major props for taking a risk. I truly hope they see this review not as a put down or anyway negative but as encouragement from the Cnd enthusiast community. IF they ever do work out the annoyances (and inlcude better accessories...like 1m SATA cables and more hot swap connectors) this will be an awesome line! Lets all cross our fingers and hope it meets its sales numbers!

Old February 2, 2009, 09:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Have to say that I like the motherboard orientation, but the lack of space for a standard VGA adapter is a bit strange.

The only other thing I wonder about is leaving the 5 1/4 bay blanking plates in place. That's something I associate with budget cases, but maybe I'm missing something. Is there a legitimate reason (like airflow maybe) for leaving those in place? Those are the first things to go when I get to a case that has them.

Great review AkG!

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 2, 2009, 04:36 PM
Rookie

Good review. Personally I hate the look of the case because of the plastic it reminds me of the Chevy Avalanche (the huge plastic fenders make it look like a tonka truck). The top's spacing is the hugest oversight. No ability to use things like adapters and thick cables hugely limits the usability of this case.
Old February 13, 2009, 08:08 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I just got this case two days ago.. so far it has been great, its alot bigger then it looks in pics my 22 screen looks like a 17 beside it. there is alot of plastic parts to it but its not the cheap stuff its vary solid.
Old February 13, 2009, 10:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

so you gave an award to it for new idea?

damn... a few months ago... i design edmy own customize case of extreme aircooling... but i dont have time to do it... and i am working on watercooling plan now... o___O?
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.