Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 26, 2009, 03:53 PM
MVP

Default Modular case setup question

I'm curious to see if anyone here has experience with a sort of "modular" case setup. Ok maybe not technically modular parsay but sectioned off as to create specific streams of air running in a straight line.
Here's what I mean:

Name:  case1.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  211.5 KB

If anyone has had experience dealing with a case setup that way, it would be neat to find out if it improves airflow consistancy and/or helps temperatures at all. Seems logical that it would help the pressure in the case, but maybe not? Instead of having air being taken in and drawn every which way, have it specifically sent through in chambers.

If it works I'll try it on the Antec 1200.
Let me know what you think!
Old January 26, 2009, 04:08 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Most, if not all Lian-Li cases are designed with this in mind - physical chambers to allow propor airflow and temperature control. I can say it works, to have owned a few.
Old January 26, 2009, 06:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

There's no reason why it wouldn't work. But I'd change one or both of your top rear fans to inhale from exhaust, just to keep the amount of airflow kind of balanced. I think your 200mm top fan will exhaust a lot more than one 120mm can input.
Old January 26, 2009, 10:14 PM
MVP

I will definitely have to do something with the rear exhaust fans. I've noticed when it's running that if you put your hand over them both, the top one isn't blowing as much air out of the case as the bottom one...because the 200mm is robbing it haha.
Any suggestions on what material to use? I was thinking of aluminum or plexi. Plexi because of it being see through.

Also thinking of mounting a 120mm fan somehow where the PCI slots I don't use are. If there's not enough room, then maybe even an 80 or 90mm
Old January 26, 2009, 10:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd go with plexi, just because it's not conductive. And yes, exhausting out the back slots would be a good idea, because you'll be trapping all the GPU heat in the one section. Doesn't the 1200 come with slotted covers?
Old January 26, 2009, 10:31 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I'd go with plexi, just because it's not conductive. And yes, exhausting out the back slots would be a good idea, because you'll be trapping all the GPU heat in the one section. Doesn't the 1200 come with slotted covers?

Yep it does! Can always remove them as well as to not restrict airflow at all. Tie wraps ftw there!

Is there any certain kind of plexi I would need here? Or is it all just general purpose?

I'll post again in a sec, trying to make a diagram of the slide brack things I want to use....taken from older cases.

Kind of link this, but not quite as tall:

Name:  case2.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  61.1 KB
Above: Lian Li PC-A77

Last edited by Brian; January 27, 2009 at 12:07 AM.