Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 25, 2009, 10:41 PM
MVP

i duno about dryer sheets, I might look for some other kind of filter material though.

dryer sheets remove static electricty from the laundry loud I think. I'm not sure if it would create a static discharge or not, but it does seem kinda scary.

Maybe I'll go buy some filter material from Canadian Tire or something.

I'm surprised this topic hasn't come up before, am I the only person worried about dust in their system? Or does everyone do watercooling lol

Pantyhose might work :D
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500gb
RAM: G.Skill 4GB @ 576mhz (4.4.4.12)
PSU: Seasonic SS-400ET
Old January 25, 2009, 10:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It has come up before. The 3 common suggestions are pantyhose, dryer cloths, and window screen. But the window screen doesn't work, the mesh isn't fine enough.

Here's an easy fix. Buy a can of compressed air. Open computer monthly, blast any dust out, close computer.
Old January 26, 2009, 12:57 AM
MVP

If it's that bad, may I ask if your tower is sitting on the floor? When you've got it on the floor sitting on a piece of wood or cardboard or something, every time you walk by it you kick up (this is assuming it's carpeted) you're kicking up dust that will more than likely be sucked into the case.
Also if your feet are beside the tower on the floor, every time you move your feet/change your sitting position you'll be kicking up dust that will definitely be drawn in through the side panel.
If that's the case and if it's at all possible, put the tower on top of your desk or somewhere that dust won't get mixed into the air as much and see if that makes a difference.
Now if your tower isn't on the floor then that all means squat haha!
If the room your computer is in is really dusty, give it a good cleaning and vaccum/wash the carpets (again assuming it's carpeted) Also if you have an air cleaner/purifier use that to help rid the dust from the air.

I can tell you from experience that a dusty room will frustrate the crap out of you lol! For the 2 months I had my computer up (still down because of damn ASUS grr!!) I had to clean the 4 fan filters on my Antec 1200 case WEEKLY! Even then I still got a considerable amount of dust, and a few dog hairs in the case!
My tower was resting on material that was sitting on the carpet and high traffic zone + dusty room (basement) + computer = bleck! annoying! We're redoing and painting the room right now, cleaning out the air in a short while too, as well as making sure we get the most out of the carpet we can, and trying to make some sort of makeshift shelf for the tower to stay off the ground.

There's also a recent thread on here discussing alternatives and where to buy filters
Here's the link if you haven't seen it: Where Can I Buy Dust Filters For Case Fans...?

But if it is really that bad, you can definitely find alternatives to use as dust filters! No doubt there. As mentioned, there are a number of different materials you can use.
As to blocking off the side panel, there's nothing wrong with trying it! Test it out and see if you see a difference in temperatures. Experimenting with airflow through the case by trial and error can result in some pretty good discoveries!
If you have some more powerful, higher CFM moving fans, try fitting them in the front as well.
If all else fails, call up Antec and say HEY! I want to buy a dust filter, and try to work something out with them over the phone.

Sorry for the long read, just throwing a bunch of suggestions out there.
Whatever the case, HWC will help you get things sorted

Good luck!!

Last edited by Brian; January 26, 2009 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Adding more suggestions :)
Old January 26, 2009, 01:43 AM
MVP

My System Specs

i used duct tape on my 590's side panel...

Old January 26, 2009, 02:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

haha duct tape..

+1 vote for SugarJ's open the case up and use compressed air. It works, trust me. I hvae a total of 10 fans on the outside of my case.. I have to dust it all the time, and compressed air rocks.
Old January 26, 2009, 02:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I give the old the fan filters on my P182 a good sweep about once a month, its not particulary dusty in my place right now or ever, although I keep case on my desk at all times. It does get a little worse in the summer because we have the sliding door open more and Toronto is hella dirty. Ever scraped off dust that leaves a black residue on your fingers?

EE
Old January 26, 2009, 01:51 PM
MVP

So I decided to just swap the side panels, the left with the right and the right with the left. The vent now opens to the back of the mobo tray lol.
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500gb
RAM: G.Skill 4GB @ 576mhz (4.4.4.12)
PSU: Seasonic SS-400ET
Old February 3, 2009, 10:15 PM
Rookie

i've had my antec 300 for a little over a month, 2 intake fans in the front running at 5V, two exhaust fans in the back running at 5V, and the side vent unblocked. it sits on the carpeted floor in my closet (it's a fileserver), and gets clothes piled around it, and there is no dust to speak of inside the case. i don't think you need to be too worried about dust.
Old November 22, 2009, 08:24 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

This post is kind of old but since I have the antec 300 now figure I would bring it up. I did the same thing as you depicted in the first picture, cut a piece of carboardish material that was on the front of a notebook and made the black part of it face out so you can't even tell it's there really.

Also my case is kinda low to the floor and there is carpet, so the dust filter gets full pretty fast. :v

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/6384/pic1jz.jpg
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/8533/pic2n.jpg
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/4888/pic3f.jpg
Old November 23, 2009, 12:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Since this has been raised from the dead I thought I would post as well. I actually used a piece of the Antec 300 box to block the side vent (its black and barely visible and some good old duct tape to keep it there). I am not too worried about heat in the 300 since I don't have a GPU, and I like the idea of keeping all my air going through the front filter (I have a golden retriever and a cat whose hair like to get in everything). Seems to be working perfectly so far. Almost 5 months of running and no dust (or hair) inside (have stock fans running medium). Cleaned the filter once every month or 2 seems to do the job.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb