Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20, 2009, 05:04 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Default Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case Review Comment Thread

You guys asked for it, WE promised it and now its finally LIVE!

All in all, the CM ATCS 840 is one sweet piece of engineering. In our typical fashion we went over it from head to toe and when it was all said and done we walked away impressed...very impressed. Saying we were impressed is actually putting it mildly as it does have some pretty HUGE shoes to fill (we have some fond memories of other ATCS cases we have used in the past).

You can check out my review of this award winning case here: ATCS 840

Hope you enjoy it!
AkG

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; January 20, 2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old January 20, 2009, 07:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

Wow.. This is great AkG. Thanks.

Well AkG I can safely say with all the reviews out on the net, this is the best of them all, excellent review. Every aspect of this case was covered.

In a way it lacks and looses to the HAF 932, but all in all it is a good case, the price surely is on the high side, costs roughly $300, the 932 is half the price and has most of the features on the ATCS 840 and a bit more.. Nonetheless, it is Friggin' Huge

Also AkG, please fix this/reword it:

Quote:
As with the HAF 932, installing a triple bay radiator in the top of the case means first removing the monster 230x200 fans. This may sound daunting but in fact is an easy proposition since unlike the HAH 932, the mesh grill covering the fans is easily removable
I'm guessing your were trying to say the ATCS 840 mess grills are removable.

Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution

Last edited by miggs78; January 20, 2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old January 20, 2009, 07:46 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The mesh grilles on top of the HAF are removable? The part you highlighted says that the grilles on the HAF ARE NOT removable while the ones on the 840 ARE.

I don't have the case here so I will wait to see what AkG says but the sentence seems right to me...
Old January 20, 2009, 07:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

HAF, not HAH........ :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 20, 2009, 11:29 AM

I'm not right in front of my main rig but IIRC the grills on the HAF are not easily removable like the they are on the ATCS 840. I remember being very impressed with how easy it was on the ATCS 840 to convert it from air to water because the mesh was removable and I could actually see what I was doing. I'll take a closer look later and report back if I'm wrong but I don't think I am.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 20, 2009, 11:50 AM

My System Specs

First off, the review was amazing. One of the best and most thorough case reviews I've seen. But a few things on the case that would really improve it IMO.

1. Optical bay covers. Seriously I don't know how high end manufacturers (besides Lian Li) don't buy optical bay covers on. It kills the clean look of a case with an ugly optical drive.

2. The black mesh top on a silver case looks horrible.

3. Manufacturers really start needing to adding hot swap bays in their cases too
Old January 20, 2009, 12:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The mesh grilles on top of the HAF are removable? The part you highlighted says that the grilles on the HAF ARE NOT removable while the ones on the 840 ARE.

I don't have the case here so I will wait to see what AkG says but the sentence seems right to me...
Sorry.. I was more pointing towards the sentence spelling.. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
First off, the review was amazing. One of the best and most thorough case reviews I've seen. But a few things on the case that would really improve it IMO.

1. Optical bay covers. Seriously I don't know how high end manufacturers (besides Lian Li) don't buy optical bay covers on. It kills the clean look of a case with an ugly optical drive.

2. The black mesh top on a silver case looks horrible.

3. Manufacturers really start needing to adding hot swap bays in their cases too
Agreed with point no 3 for sure.. Only a few things more from the HAF w/aluminium costs double the price, there should be some insentive. If not all 6 of those hard drive bays, at least 3 of them could have been hot swappeable, a start point..

But I said it already, and the bottom line AkG this has to be the best review on this case to date available..!!
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old January 20, 2009, 12:30 PM

Thanks Lowfay.
1) I agree about the bay covers...but I've had problems with them "sticking" to my dvd drive (borked a good Benq couple years ago)! So I couldn't in good conscience dock CM for not including them.
2) I too wish the silver case had silver mesh and not just the black AND silver case having black mesh....BUT it does grow on you. Give it a week and you won't even notice it.
3) Couldn't agree more! Hot swapps should come std on any case over $150.

Old January 20, 2009, 12:33 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Finally

\goes off to actually read it

bah our net connection at work is like being on dial-up...
Old January 20, 2009, 01:49 PM
Allstar

Damn, no window. If it had a window, I'd grab one right now. I was looking for a case to mod, and this was almost it. Sure is pricey for a CM case, though. Their most expensive one to date.
1x 8800 Ultra --> Sony GDM-FW900 + LVM-37w3se // HT Omega Striker ~ (optical) Pioneer SE-DIR800C ~+ SE-DHP800 / HD 280 Pro