Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 17, 2009, 12:04 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Anodizing aluminum case parts

Has anyone here ever had any of their aluminum case parts anodized? I know you can powdercoat them, but wasn't sure if you could have things custom anodized. Then the inside would match the outside, at least on the parts of the Cosmos S I have.

I could spray paint, but I wasn't that excited about doing it. I found it's very fiddly, and needs lots of coats to come out right. And everyone sprays. I plan on having this case for a while, and wouldn't mind spending to have it the way I want it.
Old January 17, 2009, 12:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Anodizing | Colour Anodizing | Color Anodizing

Welcome to Altech Anodizing Ltd. - Find Us in Richmond, Delta & Vancouver

I imagine it will be $$$ though.

A GOLD interior oh man that would sick

EE
Old January 17, 2009, 12:31 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks EE. I was thinking black to match the side panels and help hide the sleeved cables, but you put some evil thoughts in my head.

And ya, I'm sure it would be uncheap. Just wondering how it would compare $wise to powder coating. I'm going to do some looking into it though, I think it would be mighty fine.
Old January 17, 2009, 12:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Thanks EE. I was thinking black to match the side panels and help hide the sleeved cables, but you put some evil thoughts in my head.

And ya, I'm sure it would be uncheap. Just wondering how it would compare $wise to powder coating. I'm going to do some looking into it though, I think it would be mighty fine.
Its two completely difference processes in which power coating and anonizing is done.

Power coating is going to probably be the cheaper of the two and ends up being like paint where anodizing ends up as you more like staining the aluminum.
Old January 17, 2009, 12:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks e. I'm aware of what the anodizing and powder coating processes actually are, I was hoping someone could give me a comparison in cost.

Would I pay $300 to have the aluminum guts of my Cosmos anodized? Nope. But if it was $100 I'd do it. I'll phone that Altech and see if I can find out without having to drive down there.
Old January 17, 2009, 12:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Thanks e. I'm aware of what the anodizing and powder coating processes actually are, I was hoping someone could give me a comparison in cost.

Would I pay $300 to have the aluminum guts of my Cosmos anodized? Nope. But if it was $100 I'd do it. I'll phone that Altech and see if I can find out without having to drive down there.
Ah yah I think it'd be cheaper if you completely dismantled all the parts and then took it to them as it would be easier.

I know for a case you usually look at anywhere between $100-300 depending on the shop for powder coating.
Old January 17, 2009, 01:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Ah yah I think it'd be cheaper if you completely dismantled all the parts and then took it to them as it would be easier.
Absolutely. I'd have to do that anyway, as I don't think the rivets are aluminum, and there's some steel brace parts in it too. They can't be anodized, as far as I know. I'd do a total disassemble for powdercoating too, because that's the way it should be done.

For those of you who may be wondering, anodizing is a chemical treatment done in a dip tank. Powdercoating is sprayed onto your parts, which then go into an oven to bake and cure.
Old January 17, 2009, 06:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Anodizing would probably be your best bet anyways, the powder coat could cause you some annoyance with trying to put the screws back in etc... unless they were going to somehow block them off.