Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 30, 2008, 06:24 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
F@H

Default Antec Skeleton Open Air Case Review Comment Thread

Quote:
Today, we won’t be looking at one of Antec’s traditional tower, desktop or HTPC cases, but rather something completely different—the Antec Skeleton. The Skeleton is an open air case that does not have solid panels and grilles like a regular computer case. The PC hardware within is literally exposed. So, who in their right mind would buy a computer case that leaves hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars of hardware out in the open for pets to chew on and drinks to spill on? We can pretty much guarantee that your “average Joe” is not interested in such a case. There are, however some enthusiasts that just love staring at their components and when a case window isn’t enough, an open-air case is the next logical step.
Read the full review here.
Old December 30, 2008, 06:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Hrmmmmmmm......

I could live with the difficulties of routing PSU cables, but no support for taller heatsinks, and the "uncomfortable" GPU installation leaves me scratching my head as to who they were marketing this at.

Since it doesn't work well as a test bench, I suppose it might appeal on a strictly asthetic basis. Once it's together some folks will think it looks pretty cool so they might sell a few to folks looking for a unique case to put on their desktop.

Other than that, I can't see much use for it.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 30, 2008, 08:14 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

To have personally manipulated one, I must say that if someone buys this, it's strictly as a showpiece. It has nothing to appeal to the enthousiast gamer.
Old December 30, 2008, 11:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm a sucker for design and I liked the look of this case when I first saw it as I thought it would make a good looking, easy to swap out parts, setup. The fact that it is hard to work with and way overpriced leaves me scratching my head at who's going to buy this thing? My $50 case with the side panel removed looks just as good if not better with my massive Tuniq Tower HSF, and it's way easier to work with too. :P

Some temp data would have been nice in this review. Otherwise good job and thanks!

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old December 30, 2008, 12:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

"If you build it....they will come...."

So true for just about anything.
Heck, Bugatti Built the Veyron, and people bought it. It has no practical purpose, but rather is a car that breaks all the barriers.

Same can be said for this case. It might not work in the same practical sense that most of us live in.
However, I have to say it is truely cool. Not for me though, I spill my coffee too much and my Puppy still chews everything.
That case would last about a day in my house lol!

Good review,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 30, 2008, 08:10 PM
MVP

My System Specs

bad case is well bad.. I still don't know what antec was thinking with this one. I'm guessing something like this
"Hmm so those techstations are all the rage now" - designer 1
"Your right lets cash in on that" - designer 2
"But it can't be a copy of one" - designer 1
"I know lets put some flash into it" - designer 2
"Alright" - designer 1

Old December 30, 2008, 09:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

All I can say is thank you for finding more disadvantages than advantages.. When I first saw Antec launch this case, and started looking at detailed pictures, started wondering why would somebody pick this piece of crap over a normal tech station.. As Charlie said, thanks for Manipulating..

Thankyou thankyou :P
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old December 30, 2008, 09:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This has got to be one of the worst cases in recent years. Yup a $50 case will not only look better but protect your hardware better too.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 1, 2009, 07:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Do I dare say :

FAIL

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old January 1, 2009, 08:08 AM
Allstar

Not much use for it myself ...

However, it's something to consider when they offer it at a deep discount.