Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 8, 2008, 05:20 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default A New Case

My NZXT Hush 001 has been completely useless: It's hot, its noisy and its cramped.
I want something new, big and cool.
please cast your eyes over the list on komplett and tell me what you recommend.

I'm quite impressed with the Antec - P180, but it is a few years old.

Thanks,
-ANkh
Main System (now): Q9450 @ 2.667GHz | Asus P5Q Deluxe | 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 | 2 x Samsung SpinPoint 500GB 7200RPM | Everest 800w | EVGA 9800GTX 512MB GDDR3 in SLi | Samsung 22" LCD Syncmaster 226CW, 1680x1050, 2ms, 3000:1 | G15 | G7 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (goal)
Old December 8, 2008, 05:54 PM
Allstar

I have the Silverstone TJ05B and I love it. Well worth considering IMO. It has more than enough room for everything. Pretty good cable management and has a side window (at least mine does). Be warned though that it's a really big case. The Antec P182 is also a great case. I just put a computer together with that and it's a really solid, quiet case. I didn't see it on that site though but I kind of stopped looking after seeing the Silverstone :)

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old December 8, 2008, 06:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Gahh yeah I hear ya on the Hush. Good idea, bad implmentation. Not enough airflow these days.
Now, if you still want to give NZXT a try ( I think HWC even did this review) go with a Tempest. That thing has wild airflow, and its an overall good design.

If you want full tower, I like the Coolermaster HAF or the Antec 900.

Another Midtower would be TT Armor Jr, or Armor MX+, or The Fortress from Silverstone.

Just my thoughts,
sorry your Hush didn't work out.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 8, 2008, 07:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Something big: go with the Coolermaster HAF. It might look a little different from usual computer cases, but the thing is pretty awesome when it comes to cooling and management.

Something on the light side: Coolermaster CM690. Great budget case with lots of airflow.
Old December 9, 2008, 01:46 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Now, if you still want to give NZXT a try
No thanks, they've had their try. I don't see myself buying another NZXT after this (expensive) mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
Something big: go with the Coolermaster HAF. It might look a little different from usual computer cases, but the thing is pretty awesome when it comes to cooling and management.

Something on the light side: Coolermaster CM690. Great budget case with lots of airflow.
I probably should have mentioned this to start with: The system I'm putting in it is the one described in my signature. So we're talking a lot of components and two bloody huge 9800GTX's.
They completely disrupt the airflow in my current case so yeah, I'm thinking big, big.
Main System (now): Q9450 @ 2.667GHz | Asus P5Q Deluxe | 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 | 2 x Samsung SpinPoint 500GB 7200RPM | Everest 800w | EVGA 9800GTX 512MB GDDR3 in SLi | Samsung 22" LCD Syncmaster 226CW, 1680x1050, 2ms, 3000:1 | G15 | G7 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (goal)

Last edited by Ankhwatcher; December 9, 2008 at 01:53 AM. Reason: add comment
Old December 9, 2008, 05:26 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Hey no , thats cool man. Its much like anything else really...if you have an issue with something from a Company, its hard to go back to try something else.
Well, maybe another day you'll give it a try, I like the two that I run.

Looked over the list you posted, for that I'd go full tower and not mid-tower.
However, they don't sell the Coolermaster HAF 932 (HWC did review on it) which really sucks because that Case can Handle just about everything.
Soooo many options for WC'ing and such.
Now I have a suggestion from what I saw on the site, an old Classic (and a source for my first WC'ing experiments). The Thermaltake Armor (Full Tower), has more than enough room and Airflow to get what you need done.

Komplett.ie - Thermaltake Armor Black, Aluminium Front

It is a tried and true design, yeah it is no longer the best on the block, but its lasted this long by being a damn good chassis for what its worth.

Now, if you got the money to Spend, Silverstone is the Porsche of Full towers and Mid-towers....you could get this one;

Komplett.ie - Silverstone Temjin TJ07B Black

A lot of people love this one, and for good reason. It is solid, lots of room, good airflow. All depends on the budget. For fitting the 9800 GTX's I always recommend Full towers, however, there are some Mid Towers (Those with removable HD Cages and such) that you can squeeze them into. Just look into reviews and see what the dimensions are inside.

Good Luck, hope this helped somewhere,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old December 9, 2008, 07:44 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
However, they don't sell the Coolermaster HAF 932 (HWC did review on it) which really sucks because that Case can Handle just about everything.
Soooo many options for WC'ing and such.
Yeah, we're not allowed nice things in Ireland

The Thermaltake Armor sounds pretty cool.
Old December 9, 2008, 08:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Thats too bad you can't get it. It looks really nice, but sometimes its the way it goes.
I know I've run into not being able to get a few things from time to time.

The Armor is nice, its not the best as I stated, but its very functional , durable (this thing is a monster made of 6-8mm pressed steel I think) and very roomy.
It can be easily upgraded with accessories from TT, which is always cool to do.
Its a decent price, and a tried and true design.

Hopefully you find the one that suits you,

Regards,
ST

Old December 9, 2008, 12:55 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Well it's ordered.
Old December 9, 2008, 12:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Good Stuff. I hope it works out for you, You might find yourself wanting to buy more stuff to cram in there once you see how roomy it is!

Post pics of the build when its done!

Regards,
ST