Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2008, 05:07 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
F@H

Default SilverStone Fortress FT01 Mid-Tower Case Review Comment Thread

Quote:
We all know that SilverStone makes some of the cases in the market today but we normally associate their name with the famous TJ07 or TJ10. However, their mid-tower enclosures are gaining quite a following as well. Today we look at their new Fortress FT01 mid-tower case which is set to take a whole new market by storm.
Read my full review here.
Old December 2, 2008, 05:38 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Also let me welcome Lemonlime as a reviewer. This is his first review for us and will be the first of many.
Old December 2, 2008, 07:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

...and if this review is any indication, this site's review standards are only going higher. Very nicely done!

A couple questions:

I don't suppose you're familiar with the filters used in many of the Antec cases? How does the filter mesh on this case compare?

Couldn't quite tell from the photo, but there appears to be almost an inch between the bottom of the mobo and the top of the power supply? Just curious, in the interest of anyone who might possibly be installing a bulky card in the bottom-most expansion slot.

The hot-swap options are powered off molex plugs, rather than SATA power plugs? Does that mean any HDD wanting 3.3V is SOL under this system?
Old December 2, 2008, 08:32 AM
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
...and if this review is any indication, this site's review standards are only going higher. Very nicely done!
Thank you for the kind words

Quote:
I don't suppose you're familiar with the filters used in many of the Antec cases? How does the filter mesh on this case compare?
I'm afraid I don't have a modern Antec case to compare it to. The mesh filter is very fine on the FT01 and does not restrict airflow much. The same filters are used for front and top intake as well as the PSU.

Quote:
Couldn't quite tell from the photo, but there appears to be almost an inch between the bottom of the mobo and the top of the power supply? Just curious, in the interest of anyone who might possibly be installing a bulky card in the bottom-most expansion slot.
Any single slot card should fit without any issue in the bottom most expansion slot. There should be enough space for a dual-slot card (assuming it does not need two PCI brackets, of course). So a graphics card with a single bracket and a bulky slot and a half or dual slot cooler should fit. I can get some exact measurements if you'd like.

Quote:
The hot-swap options are powered off molex plugs, rather than SATA power plugs? Does that mean any HDD wanting 3.3V is SOL under this system?
That is correct. There is a 4-pin molex pass-through power connection for each CP05 module that is installed. Consumer grade disk drives should not have an issue with the lack of 3.3V, but in the rare instance that it is required, direct PSU and SATA connections would have to be made.
Old December 2, 2008, 03:32 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Nice review. meh case... i'm getting tired of these unstandard sized fans.
Old December 2, 2008, 03:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hey Congrats!! Nice review!
Old December 2, 2008, 03:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Great review, well done.

Although I'll bring up my typical complaint.

That useless foam they stuck on the panel only insulates the case for heat, it won't absorb anything at all. It's a waste of money and brings the price UP for the consumer. It is complete gimmick and 100% useless for doing anything with sound absorption.

I would HIGHLY suggest when you guys get cases in the future that you request the distributor or manufacturer to send you the sound absorption coefficient of the foam inside the case. If they can't provide it; they're scamming and if they can provide it I can prove that it'll be such a narrow band of frequencies that it'd be useless. Because fans make very WIDE bands of noises. :)

Anyways great review, and honestly, I'm only picky about the acoustical absorption thing because I'm a sound engineer and it's a pet peeve of mine! lol

(I really need to get my sound absorption guide up so everyone can understand, still working on it though.)
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old December 2, 2008, 04:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

Great review lemon, i cant agree more, i just got my FT01 and i agree with everything you said
Quote:

A couple questions:

The filter mesh is definitely higher quality than the mesh in my old P182, and seems like it would have way better airflow through it. Also a dual slot card will fit in the bottom PCI-E, assuming the board in question is the same as mine (2 PCI slots below the bottom PCI-E Slot) If the PCI-E slot is on the bottom of the board it looks like it would be a very tight fit, so it basically wouldnt work because the card wouldnt get any air squished up against the PSU
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe | CPU: i7 940 | Ram: 3x2 GB | HSF: CM V8 | GPU: HD 6950 | PSU: PCP&C 750W | ]HDD: WD 500gb x3, 120GB Vertex 2 | Case: Antec 1200 | Monitor: 3x Asus VE247H | OS: Win7 Ultimate x64
My Trading Rep:
HWC
OCN
Heat
Ebay

Old December 3, 2008, 04:56 AM
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
...I would HIGHLY suggest when you guys get cases in the future that you request the distributor or manufacturer to send you the sound absorption coefficient of the foam inside the case. If they can't provide it; they're scamming and if they can provide it I can prove that it'll be such a narrow band of frequencies that it'd be useless. Because fans make very WIDE bands of noises. :)
You bring up a very good point, encorp. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. The FT01 is a very quiet case, but of course, I have no way to prove that it is due to the dampening foam on the side panels. I am definitely not a sound engineer, but will ask for specifications on any foam for future reviews. We'll be in touch on that for the next one
Old December 3, 2008, 01:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime View Post
You bring up a very good point, encorp. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. The FT01 is a very quiet case, but of course, I have no way to prove that it is due to the dampening foam on the side panels. I am definitely not a sound engineer, but will ask for specifications on any foam for future reviews. We'll be in touch on that for the next one

Sure, it's really quite simple and would only take a moments of your time to ask them to provide the data; and with that I can show you how very easily you can determine if the material is really viable. Even if they can't provide the data there is a VERY easy way for you to determine yourself what the material's absorption coefficient is.

Anyways, blah blah, if there's foam in a case in the future toss me a pm! :D
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.