Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 21, 2008, 11:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Looking at buying one of these and I have a few questions...

1. What's the black interior finish like? Matte, Semi-Gloss, Gloss.

2. Would you say it's feasible to drill a fill port in the top of the case, as close to the drive bays as possible? Looks like I could have it drop down just behind that controller board thing. And is the top a single layer of alu, or is there more to it?

3. Not really related to this case, but is aluminum easier to drill (hole saw) than the steel the Antec 900 is made of?

4. Do the 5.25" bays have the option to use screws too?

Thanks
Old December 22, 2008, 05:12 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
F@H

Quote:
1. What's the black interior finish like? Matte, Semi-Gloss, Gloss.
It looks like a matte powder-coat of sorts. I didn't really try to scratch it, but it appears nice and durable.

Quote:
2. Would you say it's feasible to drill a fill port in the top of the case, as close to the drive bays as possible? Looks like I could have it drop down just behind that controller board thing. And is the top a single layer of alu, or is there more to it?
It looks like it would be tough to drill a fill-port in the Fortress close to the bays because of the top I/O panel. Drilling just behind the I/O panel would allow you to route some tubing behind the cable management, but its going to be tight. The top of the case appears to be a single layer of aluminum.

Quote:
3. Not really related to this case, but is aluminum easier to drill (hole saw) than the steel the Antec 900 is made of?
I've never used a 900 so I can't comment, but in my experience, aluminum is a bit easier to dremmel through than heavy steel. I'd imagine the same holds true for hole saws.

Quote:
4. Do the 5.25" bays have the option to use screws too?
Yes. On the opposite side of the bays there are openings for screws. On the side with the 'switch' there are a few holes, but I'm not sure if they'd line up for optical drives. One of the holes is used to secure the blank panels with screws.

Quote:
Thanks
Not a problem! Its a great case.. enjoy!
Old December 22, 2008, 09:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

For the fillport, I just wanted to do like what I did with my Antec 900:

It's the tube in the very back. It looks like it should be feasible to do a similar thing with the FT01 since that I/O panel sticks out about the same as my DVD-RW. Might have to get me a black anodized aluminum fillport though instead of my current silver one to match the top of the case.

And for the 5.25" screws, the issue is that my bay res is actually mounted upside down so the holes aren't exactly in proper locations anyways. Guess I'll just have to drill new holes instead if nothing lines up. I had to do it with my 900 too.

One more question, is the black interior actually black? Some picture I've seen make it look more like a dark grey colour but maybe it's just their camera's flash.

This is going to be my first "expensive" case so I want to make sure it will mainly do what I want without me having to hack it all to bits like my 900. However DC has it for $230 + $5.99 shipping so it's a pretty nice deal