Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 9, 2008, 08:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default Some minor antec 900 mods

I cant bring myself to start cutting holes in my case yet so atm i want to do a few things that dont require that kind of work. The major thing is dust, even on low these things take in a TON of dust, im looking for some kind of filter thatll work with the front fans on it. Apparently used dryer sheets will work even though they restrict airflow a bit, if there are any recommendations for store bought filters that wont have clearence issues or anything id strongly prefer them to be washable so i dont have to keep buying them. When putting them in wouldt hey go in front of or behind the fan? id assume behind but id like to stop the dust from piling up on the fans themselves if i can.

Next thing would be some form of controlling the fans from the outside, the switches seemed alright at first but when you want to game with headphones on and crank the fans up to max its a pain to take the side off and dig around for them and then do the same thing when youre done andw ant them on low. Ive been looking at 4pin to 3pin adapters but im not sure exactly what type i need to allow the fans to be used with a front bay controller. Ive heard that you can actually cut the wire with the controller and solder it to a 3pin cable to do the job but i dont trust myself with wiring lol.

Id prefer to do any buying on ebay or maybe canadacomputers, paying shipping on such small things especially at newegg is crazy. Here is a pic of what my case looks like atm.
Mobo: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
Memory: 4gb OCZ Platinum 1000mhz ddr2
Graphics: 2x Sapphire 4830s in Crossfire
Keyboard: Logitech G11
Mouse: Logitech G9
HD:WD 640gb Caviar Black + 750gb Seagate
#hardwarecanucks on irc.enterthegame.com
Old December 1, 2008, 06:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Well I used cut-up Swiffer pads, they absorb dust but let like 90% of the airflow through. I don't have an Antec 900, I just have some generic case I bought for ten dollars at a garage sale, with some 80mm fans on varioius parts of the case I cut holes in. I would put the Swiffer pads on the OUTSIDE, so that it lets more air through, gets sucked toward the fan, and traps dust before it enters the case

As for externally controlling the fans, (assuming you want to control them by a dial) you may have to cut open a few cables, attach a small circuit board with the dial on it, and then test it out. I would do it with a cheap $5 case fan for experimenting until you know it works. I'm sure there's an easy way to it that doesnt run the risk of killing your fans, I just have to look on google harder :P
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old December 1, 2008, 07:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

Sunbeam rheobus to control the fans.