Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 2, 2008, 01:04 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default Finally decided to tinker with my Antec 900...

So I'm looking for some advice! Considering I've seen quite a few great things from forum goers here, what better place to ask for some insights?

First off I'm gonna be cutting a hold in the bottom to allow me to flip my PSU over (IIRC a 4.5" hole saw works perfect?) though this leads me to the question...should I be looking for some taller case feet, or will the stock Antec ones leave me enough space for air flow to the power supply?

For the other holes I'm just probably going to stick with smaller circumference hole saws just for speed of cut- grommets will cover any oopsies anyway for the most part. I'm assuming Home Depot/Rona has some multi packs that work for the different sizes? Then again I suppose some creative layering of electrical tape can work too....

Next thing brings me to paint...there's literally 10,000 articles, blog posts, youtube videos etc about case painting...I'm 50% sure that just some quality black enamel will work just loverly on the inside. (The grey is starting to drive me nuts) and spray on primer? Pretty much I'll be painting every internal/backside grey surface some kinda black- make it look like a shrunken 1200 I guess for the most part. This will be the most sanding I've done since lapping my CPU

Not really much else to do yet until I finally collect all my parts for my upcoming WC adventure though that probably won't be until around Christmas or so...but at least this is a little bit of work to keep me busy until I can spare the cash to order the parts.

Thanks for any advice all
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old November 2, 2008, 01:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Don't have to put on larger case feet but I guess it's recommended. I didn't and never ran into any issues with my OCZ GameXStream.

I just used semi-gloss black Tremcald and sprayed mine. No primer and no major sanding. I just gave it a light rub and made sure it was clean. The paint sticks fine but it scratches easily when putting the drive cages back in and DVD drives. Otherwise it doesn't scratch.

You can checkout my thread on watercooling my 900: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ercooling.html

Last edited by JD; November 2, 2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old November 2, 2008, 02:37 PM
Allstar
F@H

Thanks Jdrom, your thread is one of the ones I have bookmarked and read thoroughly. :) Definitely looks great. Kind of gave me enough reason to finally get off my *** and do something to mine. Just a couple of cans of Tremclad worked? I'm assuming probably 2 would be enough, though that's a half guess for the most part. Scratches aren't something I'm too worried about, since I tend to baby my stuff quite a bit, and until the WC goes in, pretty much everything will be locked down for a while (Except for the occasional GPU upgrade which is nothing to the paint.)
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old November 2, 2008, 02:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

2 cans should be fine.

I have some more pictures here of the modding/painting: Picasa Web Albums - JD - Antec 900