Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 18, 2008, 12:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I like it. Takes the best of everything and shoves it into one IMO. Since its not solid aluminum or anything fancy, I'm assuming it'll be a bit more affordable.

Only thing I don't really like is the side window which is basically just a fan. I'd have to replace that with a plain sheet of plexi.

I haven't had the privilege of owning a solid aluminum case like most of you have I'm thinking so I don't really mind a bunch of plastic. However it really depends on how much they are going to sell this for. If it's the same price as aluminum cases then there's a serious problem.
Old September 18, 2008, 01:32 PM
MVP
F@H

needs anew name.. looks ok .. plastic nah,.. spedo kinda sounds likethe greasy bald guy down at the beach.. with a speedo on

Old September 22, 2008, 09:58 AM
MVP

Saw the youtube vid a couple days ago. I was impressed and liked the zone isolation concept, simple plastic barriers which look like they may be quite effective. I like the look of the system with onlythe CPU area visible, sort of like a Mac Pro tower, or BMW/Mercedes engine compartment. Not a fricken wire in site with the PSU area all closed up!

I wonder how much of the front intake air is allowed into the video chamber! Looks like none... looks completely blocked off from the drive bays.

Anyways, like the rest here, I was struck by the amount of plastic. Gah. I don't like the way TT is going these days, with the Xaser and now this. What happened to the all aluminum cases like the Shark and Sword? Probably didn't sell enough of them because they are over priced for what they are.

Talking about price, I bet this Spedo is over $300. For all that plastic, I wouldn't touch it for a penny more than $150 -- and even that is pushing it.

boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's
Old November 13, 2008, 11:34 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Hate to say I did this...but I looked at another website's "Video Review" and the case seems different when looked from a different perspective. Kinda like the thing now
Old November 13, 2008, 01:30 PM
MVP

My System Specs

The fans are loud, and there's way too much plastic for a case costing over 150.
Old November 13, 2008, 02:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Any case you see in that price tag is likely to have only a few if any alluminum components, personally I have never been a ThermalTake fan so its likely you'll never see me with one. As for the name what were they thinking "spedo" what's next G-string?

I'll see what they have to say to my request for a bit of an explanation, because I certainly don't get excited when thinking about a "Spedo" let alone anything in a "Spedo"

Last edited by Eagle Eye; November 13, 2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old November 13, 2008, 05:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It looks like the TT Armour actually, which all those cases came after lol.

But it is not for me either!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old November 13, 2008, 05:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Show me a high end case that is not full of plastic. I review them and I cannot get over the blatent abuse of plastic as of late by all the major brands (other than Silverstone).........
Old November 13, 2008, 05:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

^^ Yep,

Even this Cosmos S I just got has some seriously cheap plastic. I'm modding the hell out of it so I don't care but the red line across the front is made out of one of the crappiest pieces of plastic imaginable!

Plus the entire front of the case is garbage with the grates being stuck on flimsy plastic brackets that don't even snap in properly. I was definitely disappointed and my next case will be 100% aluminum no matter what.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old November 13, 2008, 07:12 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I work in the sheet metal industry now and before I worked in the plastic industry and I can see why case manufactures use more plastic parts. Itís not just material cost but manufacturing cost as well. You spend quite a bit up front to make a mold but then because plastic is cheap, they can run thousands of parts at very low cost. But metal on the other hand is a lot harder to work with, youíre not going to cast something like a front panel for a PC, it has to be punched or lasered then may be formed and/or spot welded and so forth . Take my Sonata Plus for instance, the front panel which is complex is made from plastic then they cut a thin flat piece of aluminum and use it as a veneer. If you want an all metal case, youíre going to be paying a huge premium.
I do agree however that the quality of some of the plastic parts are in question, if they are going to use plastic parts they should be made sturdier and longer lasting and should not be used for mechanical parts under high stress such as locks or levers.