Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16, 2008, 09:17 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex View Post
Lithotech, that is an impressive amount of stuff you have. translink 1 zone transfer FTW?
Heheh, thanks.

Not sure I understand the translink 1 zone FTW?

boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's
Old October 16, 2008, 09:49 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreqE1 View Post
Lithotech, Looking at your room there my odd little mind went of on a tangent like it likes to do. could you picture going back in time and taking one of the people that worked in mission control when they sent the austonauts to the moon and bringing then to you room now? They would be blown away by the computing power in there.

"You say this is all yours and just keep it in your home?", "You play games with this? Amazing" LoL
LOL, they'd be like a kid in a ball room! OTOH, what I would give to go back and be with them in the late 60s! I do have some VERY legacy systems in various disorder but workable. I imagine in my retirement I will turn the basement into a computer museum! I sometimes kid about it with my wife, but I am serious! I still have my old 486DX33 that used to run my BBS on a dialup modem, and would love to one day get that all running again in original condition -- all I really need is a solid PSU for it and maybe a couple spare mobos for parts and any capacitors that start dying. Ohhh... to be working in FrontDoor, TheDRAW! and RA again!

Other than the one server system that was on it's way out, I believe there were no other client systems in the pics. So yeah, it's all mine (or my companys). I have about 6 complete running systems that are for sale. Two of them are really spare loaners -- often, if I have to take a client's system to my workshop, I will leave them with a loaner system to use. That way I can take my time with their repairs or upgrade, and not worry about getting it back to them asap. These loaners I would sell to the right person, it's easy enough to replace with another. They are usually way more powerful than the clients system, and because of that I can sometimes upsell them a faster system because they will now hate their slow system. My favorite one is a Gigabyte mATX s939 system with an Opteron in it, some Patriot ram, nice HSF, and a passively cooled 7900GS, all packed in an older Compaq case that has amazing airflow. It runs super quiet and cool, and is quite fast. I have enough parts to make a couple or three contemporary or modern systems, and replace them as soon as they are gone. I have enough parts to make several older systems that are still quite capable (socket 754 and 939) -- some of the mobos and CPUs are still brand new, but all my DDR ram has been played with and slowly reducing in collection size as I do not replace it anymore unless I come across some rediculously low priced and high quality.

I don't play games like I used to. Totally lost interest in them, but used to be quite addicted to MMORPGs and FPS games. These days, my game is hands-on inside the case, the quests are gathering all the components at the best prices. The only game I still play is some racing a few times a week for an hour or so per session. More of a simulation really, I use rFactor and now GTR Evolution. I've always been a huge racing fan, especially once the Indy came to Vancouver. I still remember as a kid, watching F1 on Wide World of Sports, and Jackie Stewart in the JP Special car. If I had the money, I would definately be running a real race car at Mission Raceway, either roadrace or dragrace. The cost of such would be astronimical compared to a fast computer and a decent wheel. Wipe the car? Press ESC! Poof! New car! Gawd... the tires alone on a real car would exceed the cost of my system -- precisely why my wife doesn't complain about my personal upgrades!

I have been messing around with Zombie Panic Source lately. I love Halloween and Zombies, so it's just a seasonal thing. Hellovalotta fun though, running around as a moaning zombie beating on the silly human survivors! It's a free download, so if you have Steam, give it a try!

P.S. If anyone is in need of older parts, definately give me a PM, I might have something real nice quality and would give cost price to anyone here. Socket 754 and 939 CPUs and mobos, DDR ram, decent used cases and a couple of new cases.

Old October 16, 2008, 11:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithotech View Post
Heheh, thanks.

Not sure I understand the translink 1 zone FTW?

He's talking about the bus transfer sitting in front of the iMac.
Old October 16, 2008, 12:08 PM
MVP
F@H

"I still have my old 486DX33 that used to run my BBS on a dialup modem"

Would that be about 23/25 years old? I seem to remember my first girlfriend's father having something like that and some Macintosh's. I remember he would type something into the Bulliten board (monochrome monitor) and you could go away and keep coming back to see if a reply had made it back. Sure was different than now. Heck if a majorly overcrowded page with video and audio doesn't load instantly I'm impatient!
Old October 17, 2008, 06:21 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
He's talking about the bus transfer sitting in front of the iMac.
Oh... LOL. Thanks!

I find things lying on the floor, not mine, no idea what they are... I put them on her desk or kids desk.

Old October 17, 2008, 06:46 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreqE1 View Post
"I still have my old 486DX33 that used to run my BBS on a dialup modem"

Would that be about 23/25 years old? I seem to remember my first girlfriend's father having something like that and some Macintosh's. I remember he would type something into the Bulliten board (monochrome monitor) and you could go away and keep coming back to see if a reply had made it back. Sure was different than now. Heck if a majorly overcrowded page with video and audio doesn't load instantly I'm impatient!
Early 90's. So approaching 20 years.

The SysOp could chat with users logged into the BBS, and if he was AFK, yeah, you had to wait. Not unlike instant messaging and irc chat these days except it was all in ASCII and no cool smiley graphics. Same for the message boards and games. Before the internet went mainstream, its all we had. It was only slow with file downloads, the ASCII menu pages loaded as fast as a web page these days. But a 2MB file would take 30 minutes to d/l.

They are still out there, although rarely using dialup. Much of the BBS software has migrated to the internet, so you can set up a web site that acts and even appears just like the old BBSs. It's been years since I've seen one, but I am sure they are still around. With the modem, you were limited to one caller logged on at a time unless you had multiple phone numbers and multiple modems. With a webpage version, there is no such limitation.

I allowed my users 1 hour per day, and had about 20-30 daily callers and 500+ total users. One game we liked was BRE (Barren Realms Elite) which was written by like a 12 year old kid. It was very popular near the end of BBSs. You got 10 turns a day, and could rip through them all in about 5 minutes, or take 5 turns now and leave the rest for later when your armies came back from an attack. It was all about strategy and timing. Each BBS was a team, and you played against other BBSs. It was very competitive and a lot of smack-talk going back and forth between the opponents. Lots of fun.

The monochrome era was just a few years earlier, around the (80)286 days when color monitors cost a fortune. By the 386 most people had color. Modems were even slower at this time too, my first modem was 1200baud, and I setup my first BBS on a 386 running DeskView for multitasking (screw Windows 2.0).

At first, I was just a user. I chatted a lot with one SysOp who had a funny BBS themed on Monty Python's Flying Circus. He ended up talking me into setting up my own BBS, helped me aquire and configure all the software, tested and fixed all the bugs. Then, since he lived not too far from me, I invited him over to meet my wife and baby girl. I was stunned to find out he was only 9 years old when his mother dropped him off and came to scope me out before leaving him here! He was home schooled and very smart, I had no idea he was just a kid. My baby girl just turned 18 BTW.

We kept in touch for years. By the time he was 12, he was taller than me and weighed a good 200lbs. Big kid lol.

Old October 17, 2008, 09:19 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Heh... the good ol' BBS days.

I've probably still got a few of those shareware cd libraries kicking around. (Night something.......)

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old October 17, 2008, 09:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

heh

super-deluxe amber monitor....

This picture is from yesterday......still works....yes that bios is the latest , from 1986.
This is a 4Mhz Intel 80286 with an 80287 NPU.
It's actually got a harddrive too.....4 Mb.

Old October 18, 2008, 10:08 AM
MVP

Wow! We are a rare breed, interest in historical PCs is not common. That is a real good example of legacy. Great that you have the original keyboard and monitor for it too.

I'm going to have to post a pic of my Apple Mac Classic, another 4MHz beast with a built in monochrome.

Old October 18, 2008, 03:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

BBS ftw.

LoTRD ooh yah.