Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 12, 2008, 09:58 AM
Rookie

With all this talk of garages I couldn't resist posting this quote:

Homer: Hmm. I wonder why he's so eager to go to the garage?
Moe: The "garage"? Hey fellas, the "garage"! Well, ooh la di da, Mr. French Man.
Homer: Well what do you call it?
Moe: A car hole!
Old September 22, 2008, 04:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Garages are great for the first year or two, and then they seem to end up being nothing but a repository of large items you really don't need, but don't want to throw out. :)
Heheh...yea that can happen for-SHURE.....gotta keep on it.

Even as a repository for small items , it gets outta hand amazingly quickly....I'ma at the point where there is bascially no more room for shelving , so stuff is gonna start going into the bin.

Old September 22, 2008, 07:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Garages are great for the first year or two, and then they seem to end up being nothing but a repository of large items you really don't need, but don't want to throw out. :)
lol Look around the image on my shop, I bet I got you all beat that for sure, if something is a good deal I'll buy it even if I dont need it.

Funny alot of those items have come in handy over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old September 22, 2008, 08:12 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTX View Post
My workshop is the dining room table and the wife hates it.
yup same
Old October 15, 2008, 03:38 PM
MVP

Oh... if only I had a garage...

Every time I clean up and make room, I can't find anything for weeks. I keep way too much stuff on hand, but have to sort of maintain an inventory.

Workshop is in the basement of a 1920's house.

Got a full sheet of 7/8ths plywood to replace my benchtop, if I ever get around to it. Also want to build in a lazy-susan sort of platform so I can place a computer on it and spin it around when working instead of constantly picking it up and turning it. Lee Valley sells a bunch of different harware that will let me make something like that, nice and strong, and need to be able to lock it so it doesn't turn. I'm imagining a circular or rectangle shaped platform with some foam padding on the surface (cut up a yoga-mat), bolted to the spinning hardware, then to a sturdy base so I can just put it on top of the workbench when I need it.

Daughter has been using my HTPC semo unit:

My Race Car... errr main work system.

Side bench I picked up at WallyMart for $20, the banker boxes hold mobo/cpu/HSF's and the cart can hold 4 banker boxes. I can run a system on top too, have a powerbar on the back of it. Very nice casters on it. The little wooden boxes all hold ram.

Testing bench... errr coffee table I use for testing assembled systems. 2 port KVM to a 20" NEC

The In and Out box of my office... systems in and systems out. It's an old trunk, full of old games and disks. The gutted P180 is waiting for my main system which I pulled from the Silverstone TJ04 (1st pic). The other box is a basic server I sold to a client (P5B w/ Q6600 yadda).

My wife's iMac, I use for DTP and graphics.

Used systems for sale! The boots are NOT for sale!

Sold! To the man with the 9 year old son who needed a homework machine! (Asus A8N32SLI Deluxe, A64-3800, 4x256MB Shikatronics PC4000, MSI GF6600GT)

There is more in this dungeon, and it's always changing. :help:

boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's
Old October 15, 2008, 03:42 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

That's sweet, my basement workshop is underground so it is like a friggin dungeon. I would love some windows like that.
Old October 15, 2008, 10:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

looking messy, but good. hahah. mine, unfortunately, is the floor. We have a back shed, but its seperate, and i would have to carry all the supplies to work out there, not going to happen.. The other option is the garage, and dad keeps one of his trailers for work in there, so the equipment isnt going to get stolen. and the other half of the garage is still messy from the move :P
Old October 15, 2008, 10:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Lithotech, that is an impressive amount of stuff you have. translink 1 zone transfer FTW?

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old October 16, 2008, 04:45 AM
MVP
F@H

Lithotech, Looking at your room there my odd little mind went of on a tangent like it likes to do. could you picture going back in time and taking one of the people that worked in mission control when they sent the austonauts to the moon and bringing then to you room now? They would be blown away by the computing power in there.

"You say this is all yours and just keep it in your home?", "You play games with this? Amazing" LoL
Old October 16, 2008, 09:14 AM
MVP

Thanks all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
looking messy, but good. hahah. mine, unfortunately, is the floor. We have a back shed, but its seperate, and i would have to carry all the supplies to work out there, not going to happen.. The other option is the garage, and dad keeps one of his trailers for work in there, so the equipment isnt going to get stolen. and the other half of the garage is still messy from the move :P
I know it's messy, stuff just keeps piling up no matter how organised I try to keep it. It's organised chaos. I bought a nice shelf, and within days it was full, and the rest of the room hadn't changed lol.

I really should get a table at one of the local swap meets, I could get rid of a lot of stuff. But the next thing I would know, I'd need a socket 754 board to replace a clients dead one, and have to find/buy another one. So, I just hang on to the legacy stuff, try to keep things labled and in separate areas. What I have managed to do, is not aquire more legacy stuff. Or new stuff for the most part. I have plenty of the important bits, and everything else is easy enough to aquire if needed.

What would work great for you is one of those bench carts. It stores tons of stuff when not in use, is mobile with the caster wheels, and with boxes or a wood top would make a fine workbench. The one I have was EOL and super cheap at wallymart, but similar can be had at Crappy Tire for around $50.

boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's