Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 23, 2008, 02:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Motherboard Transplant to CoolMaster CM 690

Hi all, just a couple pictures of the new case I bought for my wife. A couple years ago I built a box using parts from NCIX. I cheaped out on the case to get a G8800 GTX video card. Folks, I found out that I should never cheap out on the case! I purchased an Antec SLK3000B case, serviceable for sure, but excellent? I can't say that. Here is a pic with the components installed (Jan 2006... I was a proud Papa )

Well, I bought her a CM 690 because the interior was getting a bit warm, even with an intake fan installed. I thought that I could take a fan from the old case and install it in the top (there are spots for 2 fans in the top of the CM 690). Here is a pic of the inside of the CM690, same parts as the previous picture.

As you can see, the CM690 has more room and the cable management is awesome with a hole at the bottom for cables and room to run the cables forward and around the case.

The reason I gave my wife my old computer was because she let me build a new one for myself! I got an Antec 900 case, and one day I am going to punch a hole the bottom similar to the CM 690 because it does look some cluttered in there. The Corsair TX 750W PSU does not have modular cables and that messes it up a bit compared to the Antec 550 Tru that is in the CM 690, but still, it looks cluttered!

All in all though, I have a blast making these things... I should do it for a living one day I think!

Dwayne
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old August 23, 2008, 05:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Look's like you still have taste for those IDE Optical Drives :P. That'll be your next purchase hehe.
Old August 23, 2008, 05:53 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
Look's like you still have taste for those IDE Optical Drives :P. That'll be your next purchase hehe.
Heh, I have one SATA one and 2 IDEs... as well as a couple of old IDE hard drives. I just can't bring myself to dispose of something that still works, even though prices are very low.

Just call me another frugal Winnipeger!
Old August 24, 2008, 09:10 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
Heh, I have one SATA one and 2 IDEs... as well as a couple of old IDE hard drives. I just can't bring myself to dispose of something that still works, even though prices are very low.

Just call me another frugal Winnipeger!
... or just CHEAP!! Not really, I've never spent the $ you have on video cards.

Still have some cable wrapping to do I see, Dwayne ol' buddy.

Welcome to the forums
Old August 24, 2008, 09:27 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Hi SimGamer... the more I read the forums here the more I learn. Even though I have been playing around with home computers for over 25 years I am still learning! There are so many talented and imaginative people doing amazing stuff with their computers it just makes me want to try and do the same.

Yup, I could improve some on the inside of the computers, and one day I will pull apart the 900 and cut a hole at the bottom so I can pass cables around that way. And I will find some of that plastic black coil for wrapping wires to clean up the wife's computer. But for now I am just going to keep reading these forums, especially the worklogs and the gallery, and get more and better ideas of how to clean it up and make it pretty!
Old August 24, 2008, 10:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

Hi Dwayne...and a belated welcome to HWC. Here's an Antec 900 mod that accomplishes what you want to do....but the holes he cut aren't really stealthed.

Simple Antec 900 Modding - Xtreme CPU

PS. The hole-saw he used is mega-bucks, so you'd have to improvise... unless you want to spend 3 digits on a hole-saw.
Old August 24, 2008, 10:16 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

@Tanker- Sweet Modular PS are the S*#t ! Groovy LED's, to revert to the vernacular of my youth, Far out!

I think that cable routing behind the mobo tray is essential, I chose my P182B partly on that feature and it worked out well as Dwayne can attest( he is my build buddy) Routing cable is the hardest part of a build IMHO,( next to those tiny plugs for the front panel switchec and lights ) anything to make it easier helps tremendously. Those cats that barely have a cable showing in their build photos have my admiration, that's difficult work

You'll have to take my word on it that my case is as neatly organized as yours. I don't have a camera and I'm too cheap to get one, so no pics.
Old August 24, 2008, 10:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

Yeah SimGamer... it took me hours to route my cables but it's worth the effort though.

Here's my CM690:

@ Dwayne: Sorry if it seems like i hi-jacked your thread.
Old August 24, 2008, 10:57 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

if you do put holes in your case ,make sure you use grommets to protect your wires from any sharp edges

Old August 24, 2008, 11:26 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tanker View Post
@ Dwayne: Sorry if it seems like i hi-jacked your thread.
Not at all! Seeing the inside of your CM690 shows me how much better mine could be, and gives me some ideas too! That is why I read this stuff, so if you have any ideas fire away.