Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 19, 2008, 10:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Ahhh...finally!...almost WC'd

Well, I finally had some time to work on my lil' puppy so I figured I'd get this log rollin' (pardon the pun). I should start by saying thanks to all the members at HWC, without all the Great systems and posts on here I probably wouldn't have done this at all.

Anyhow, I swapped out my 780i mb from the 900 case to this monster TT Kandalf LCS case and picked up a ViperJohn's NB block & htsk kit and a cute lil' Evercool htsk/fan for the SB, the block itself looks pretty plain but after chatting with a few people that have it and swear by it I thought I'd give it a shot. For the most part the case is pretty easy to work on with only 1 major "issue", the TT pump/res...what a pain in the azz!!...it really only fits one way in the case and unfortunately that way just doesn't work for me. So, I said to myself "self? (and I knew it was me because I recognized my voice) there has to be a better way".

Since I plan on WCing 2 GTX 280's (I just got my step up email minutes ago!..wooo hooo!!...just have to wait to order the Koolance blocks when they get stock) I decided to go with a temp. set up. First thing I did was pick up a MCP355 and micro res. to replace the TT and using the dual rad from my previous set up mounted to the hdd cage. The triple rad that is mounted in the front of the case will either replace the dual or be used for a 2nd loop, haven't decided yet. I'm going to order the XSPC res top to add to the MCP355 and a red XSPC 250 Passive Aluminum res will replace the micro along with blood red tubing to add/replace the green when I order the gpu blocks.

Does everything look ok?...I hope I have all my hoses hooked up right, actually, looking at it again, should I switch the cpu to nb hose to the top inlet? Its not kinked but switching it would create less of a bend, any thoughts before I put some coolant in this thing and run the leak test?
Attached Images

Old August 19, 2008, 01:43 PM
Allstar

Has anyone here actually taken their machine to a journeyman plumber and than to a journey man insulator? Or better yet, what about installing a plenum chamber in the loop to get rid of the vortex that water naturally creates when travelling in a tube? And using like a intercooler from a turbo kit :)
Old August 19, 2008, 02:48 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

You should raise that res higher than the pump; most wc'ing pumps are gravity-fed.
Old August 19, 2008, 03:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ahhhh....see?...this is why I checked with you guys before I put fluid in!....thanks 3.0charlie, I will rig something up

Old August 19, 2008, 04:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

np; also you can change the tubing from the nb block to the cpu block no problem if you wish to remove that kink.
Old August 19, 2008, 04:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yeah, I did that earlier, I wasn't comfortable with the bend, it wasn't kinked but it was pretty close, it's better now, thanks again. I'm not sure what I'll do about the res though, I just don't want to do anything permanent, mayeb I'll just make a block to raise it up 2-3"...will that be high enough?

Old August 19, 2008, 04:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

As long as the res outlet is higher than the pump inlet, you're fine and dandy. That can be by as little as 0.1"... remember, you want a gravity feed - a slope. 1" over the length is more than enough.
Old August 19, 2008, 04:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

great!...I can do that...thanks again

Old August 19, 2008, 05:11 PM
Banned
F@H

can you not screw the res into the back of the case, in the vent holes there, using the included metal hardware?
Old August 19, 2008, 05:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I could but I would have to drill the holes because there aren't any in the position I want and since this is only temporary I really don't want to drill any holes.