Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 14, 2008, 06:42 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default Lego = Llama's ultimate working material

Now that I'm finally done some random sketches that I think almost look like some sort of concept designs for certain areas, and have actually start working, albeit slowly, on the CAD design, I figured it's time to unveil my upcoming project!

Leper Llama's Lego Rig! (God, I'm sorry, I couldn't think of a word that started with L that means rig)

The idea is to build a case completely out of Lego, and in the end, use as little non-Lego parts as possible. It's also meant to encompass everything from my PSU to my water cooling parts, so basically, other then a few things here and there, it's being built around the parts.

The case is being designed with a tower mindset, and will also include a window on the side of the case. Currently the plan is to keep the case completely black, other then a few select areas.

While the case itself won't be built probably for another month yet, due to the fact I'm hoping to move on the 31st, and it's not worth lugging around the parts (as well as I need to watch my money for the first month-ish), I'm hoping to have the CAD design completely finished, minus fine tuning before I leave.

"But Llama, why, why would you want to spend so much on building a case out of Lego when you can buy a really good one for the same price!"

Why, I'm glad you asked anonymous! While true, this project is going to cost a fair bit of change, and could easily be hitting $200 by the time the project is complete, but on the other hand, it gives the joy of having a case that no one else has. As well as a computer based around your requirements. Also, the great thing with Lego is, if you need to adapt due to new parts, all you need to do is take things apart and set it up however you need to!

Augest 14th/08
Now, for some teaser pictures! Currently I only have the base as well as the beginnings of the PSU caddy designed. This took me quite a bit of work to figure out, as I wanted to keep the PSU on the bottom, but yet, be able to take it out without ripping apart half the case. So, with a bit [read; many apon many] alterations to a basic diagram, I've managed to come up with a way that will allow me to place the PSU into a caddy, and lock it into place.

Anywho, onto the pictures!

This here is the basic base of the case. Yes, I know, it's bare currently, but she's what holds everything together!

This is the starting of the PSU caddy I speak of, I hope to have it (along with the screw in's) completely designed in a day or two

Ah, now you can stop asking yourself "Wtf, how will that work". As you can see, it will just slide into place, and allow me to lock it into place!

Old August 14, 2008, 06:52 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Have you pre-designed all these blocks in ACAD?
Old August 14, 2008, 07:04 PM
Allstar
F@H

Actually, no, it's a program that works with a program that's made for working with Lego. Have some nifty features, like the ability to see a part list of your completed project.

Old August 14, 2008, 07:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

This is hilarious and awesome.
WAIT. You have a Lego program??? I want it!!!! I grew up on litteral TUBS of lego. Loved that stuff.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old August 14, 2008, 07:09 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

You're taking me back into my young Years... I remember having 3 huge pillow cases full of Lego pieces... I can't wait to see this. Are you using the Lego Digital Designer software?

LEGO Digital Designer : Download
Old August 14, 2008, 07:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

What a great idea for a case.
I'll be watching this with interest. Where are you going to get only black bricks from though??

Just a question for the base,its not a criticism just curious, how about a very strong rib like frame for the base using the long drilled technics bits and the screw things.

"example of drilled bit and screws"
Name:  Technic_pieces.jpg
Views: 1405
Size:  39.0 KB

Then you can overlay flat pieces onto the ribs to provide the flat foundation.

I havent messed with lego for so long..brings back great memory's .

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.

Last edited by magictorch; August 14, 2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old August 14, 2008, 07:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'm going to let you know now... this is not going to be a cheap project.

I spent over $300 in lego and wouldn't make a dent in building a case.

If you want the lego I"ll let it go fairly cheap.

But its not a light box probably around the 3-4 maybe 5lb range.
Old August 14, 2008, 07:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Come to think of it Llama I have a load of old technics and other lego doing nothing from way back. None of the kids in my family are or ever have been interested in it. I can dig the black bits out and send you them el cheapo post if you like. Will be funny to see this case in action plus its a shame to have all that lego and it never being used again.....

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old August 14, 2008, 07:30 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
You're taking me back into my young Years... I remember having 3 huge pillow cases full of Lego pieces... I can't wait to see this. Are you using the Lego Digital Designer software?

LEGO Digital Designer : Download
While I do have that downloaded, and have explored with it a bit, it's not what I'm currently using. It's a mix of LDRAW as well as MLCAD. It has a huge library of parts, and while it can be frustrating at times, it's an overall good program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
What a great idea.
I'll be watching this with interest. Where are you going to get only black bricks from though??

Just a question for the base,its not a criticism just curious, how about a very strong rib like frame for the base using the long drilled technics bits and the screw things.

"example of drilled bit and screws"
[Zomg, deleted the picture to save space]
Then you can overlay flat pieces onto the ribs to provide the flat foundation.

I havent messed with lego for so long.
Oh god, questions. First, Lego.com actually has a shop where you can buy parts singly, and in huge numbers (I know it's possible to order x100+ of single objects :O ), but that will only be where I'm getting half the parts (due to the fact that some are over charged), the other half will be through a mix of ebay as well as bricklink.

It might be hard to tell in the image I provided, but the base itself is flat, though think to keep it as sturdy as possible. A quick example;

--------------
B B B B B B B B
--------------

Basically, there is a bottom and top layer of plates, with a grouping of 2x10, 2x8, 2x4, 2x2 blocks done to keep everything together. Also, even though it looks like it, the base is not a solid piece, here, I quickly removed the top layer to show you what I mean.

Saying that though, I actually have plans to use technics for certain parts of the case!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I'm going to let you know now... this is not going to be a cheap project.

I spent over $300 in lego and wouldn't make a dent in building a case.

If you want the lego I"ll let it go fairly cheap.

But its not a light box probably around the 3-4 maybe 5lb range.
Well, I don't need rainbow colors for this sadly, but if you have some blacks you don't mind getting rid of...! Oh, and I'm guessing by the end of this I shall be around $300, I've seen smaller (mATX cases built for around $140). But yeah, I know this isn't a cheap project, I knew that when I started, but in the end, I think it's completely worth it.

In the current building stage, I'm adding more blocks then I need, but after the initial (Alpha stage if you will), I can start skimming down on parts where needed, saving a bit of funny money in the process.

Edit: I can't keep up with the posts D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
Come to think of it Llama I have a load of old technics and other lego doing nothing from way back. None of the kids in my family are or ever have been interested in it. I can dig the black bits out and send you them el cheapo post if you like. Will be funny to see this case in action plus its a shame to have all that lego and it never being used again.....
Would be most obliged! This is a costly project, so little bits of help like that will be more then appreciated! Plus it gives me incentive to actually keep working on it!

Edit x2: Ok, I think these are all of them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex View Post
This is hilarious and awesome.
WAIT. You have a Lego program??? I want it!!!! I grew up on litteral TUBS of lego. Loved that stuff.
While I've already mentioned the programs name, I could throw together a .rar with the required files if people wish. Actually, for that matter, I've been tempted to put together a quick installer and copy it to my external HDD for easy keeping.

Last edited by llama_egg; August 14, 2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old August 14, 2008, 07:43 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I am actually really exicted to see this one. I built with Legos....and still do actually from time to time if I am stressed. Back in the day they gave you a TON of blocks per kit but now they totaly skimp you and "cheat" alot by giving these qierd blocks you will never use for anything else.

This will be epic if it gets done.

Edit: You might want to take some pointers from this: Winston's Lego Computer It is old but has some pretty unique concepts.