Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2008, 09:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Asrock X48 Transplant

So Wednesday I got to put my Asrock X48TurboTwinsWifi(Thanks Eldonko!) mobo into my 900.

Before I started: (Gigabyte P35-DS3L mobo)

One of these things is not like the other one: (Or all ATX boards are not equal)

A shot of my contact patch and thermal paste:

What do you do after you take a mobo out? Clear the cmos of course:

A shot with the Ninja Copper mounted:

BTW, the Scythe coolers mount much easier if you barely start the screws into the brackets, then tighten them down after mounting the main heatsink.

While I really like my PCP&C Silencer, until I go Crossfire I have to hide this mess:

And now, the board mounted in the case. How the hell do I hide that 24pin cable?

Thanks for looking. Time spent on transplant, about 45 minutes. Time re-installing Vista, updates and all my programs, about 10 hours.
Old August 10, 2008, 09:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah that's the major downfall with Asrock boards, the ATX connector placement. I think it would be better if you went up and around the HSF assuming it's long enough. Then the NB could get some better airflow.

You should polish the top of your HSF too. Got your finger prints all over it
Old August 10, 2008, 09:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Yeah that's the major downfall with Asrock boards, the ATX connector placement. I think it would be better if you went up and around the HSF assuming it's long enough. Then the NB could get some better airflow.

You should polish the top of your HSF too. Got your finger prints all over it
I knew I wouldn't like it before I started. But that cable is stretched to the max, I'd like about an 18" extension, then I could run it out the back of the board and up around the HSF.

And yeah, there's corrosion marks all over that top plate of the Ninja. Probably from my fingerprints when I originally mounted it. They don't just wipe off. Time to find my Dremel and a buffing wheel, or get used to the "weathered copper" look.
Old August 11, 2008, 05:15 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Hey, do you find the Copper Ninja looks like absolute crap after you handle it a few times? Mine has actually started discoloring slightly where my fingerprints were.
Old August 11, 2008, 09:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Hey, do you find the Copper Ninja looks like absolute crap after you handle it a few times? Mine has actually started discoloring slightly where my fingerprints were.
Umm, SKY, re-read the last line of my previous post.
I know, you were working on the 4870x2 review all night again, weren't you?
Old August 11, 2008, 09:37 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Umm, SKY, re-read the last line of my previous post.
I know, you were working on the 4870x2 review all night again, weren't you?
You have no idea.
Old August 11, 2008, 03:32 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Thanks for looking. Time spent on transplant, about 45 minutes. Time re-installing Vista, updates and all my programs, about 10 hours.
I've gotten away with uninstalling ALL of the drivers BEFORE swapping motherboards. I think I've done this 2 or 3 times now and haven't had any problems at all. All of my installed games and programs ran without a hitch. It's something that's good to know if your current OS is running mint and you know you don't need to format. I even did this with Vista x64 going from a socket 939 to AM2+ setup, which is what I'm currently running right now. Of course I've formatted since then just for regular housekeeping.
Old August 11, 2008, 04:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
I've gotten away with uninstalling ALL of the drivers BEFORE swapping motherboards.
Cheers Killswitch, that's a great idea! I'll try that for my next migration. Now, when you say ALL, do you mean ALL for the mobo or literally every single one for the whole system?
Old August 11, 2008, 06:13 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I always did them all, as in the whole system to be safe and avoid potential problems. Yeah..... you might be able to get 'er to boot up no problem but you may be unable to re-install sound or video drivers. Software can be a huge pain in ass sometimes. You might end up wasting your time and either having to swap your old hardware back in, or format anyways. Either way, if done properly this will save you a ton of time (obviously lol). But always remember rule #1..... don't forget back up your data before hand!

Last edited by Killswitch; August 11, 2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old August 12, 2008, 02:49 PM
Top Prospect

Try moving the 24 pin cable so it pases against the bottom left corner of the case (check for room between side panel and power supply) then up the side where the water cooling holes are and across to the plug. What I did with my 4 pin cpu connector on my board and it works pretty well.