Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6, 2008, 07:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Is that a "removable" motherboard tray, or did you cut it out of a case? It's certainly something that a lot of our members might be interested in trying.
I bet that is a removable mobo tray. On the back end there are tabs for either an individual back panel to slide on and be secured or to slide into a part of the back of the case itself with non-removable back panel. It also has tabs on the front side for screws to secure it in the case.
Quote:
I'm also curious about the card rack you've got there.... did you manufacture that yourself, or is it also part of a case.
I bet that is homemade as it lacks screw holes for each slot. And notice how he bolted the cards in, the holes are not tapped. (I would have just used a screw and a nut as well, I do not like tapping holes much)
When compared with the mobo tray it looks like a different type of metal as well.

Please note that I am not trying to insult this setup and I would have done something pretty similar mobo&card mounting wise.
Old October 6, 2008, 08:50 AM
MVP

Most non-removable mobo trays will remove without cutting, in older cheap cases especially. I have a few of them lying around here, I never toss an old case without first yanking stuff like that. I have one good one I use when my HSPC is already in use with another system. The rest are for if I get inspired by something like what Lima has done. :D

The PCI brace looks great, firm and sturdy. Must have been tricky to get the exact hieght and drill the holes in the exact spot.

I love the extra size of the wood platform it is on, and the cable routing hole.

boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's
Old October 6, 2008, 04:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thanks peoples I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwestwell View Post
Nicely done....you have to replace "home made" with "custom maple" ad a little smug effect...you know
You are right, I didn't even think of naming it. Because it is similar to the commercial "Tech station" that it was the only name that was in my head when making my post, but I'll take your suggestion into consideration for any future projects. Forgot to put "Tech station" it into quotation marks as well

Quote:
Couple of questions....

Is that a "removable" motherboard tray, or did you cut it out of a case? It's certainly something that a lot of our members might be interested in trying.

I'm also curious about the card rack you've got there.... did you manufacture that yourself, or is it also part of a case.

Either way.... looks like a fully functional top deck testbed. Great job!!!
Motherboard tray was a removable one I found all by it's self in the garbage of a computer recycling place and yes, the rack is something I made myself... the rack was not lying around with the tray.

For those interested... go for it! A removable motherboard tray is all you need for a quick and simple build. All the wood is scrap pieces I had laying around, all I paid for was the aluminum for the card rack, the screws and rubber feet. All in all, around 10$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
What Northbridge cooler is that? Lanparty?
Yes, it is the Lanparty's northbridge cooler.
Old October 7, 2008, 12:28 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilyeti View Post

I still have to install a couple more Noctua's, and I'm thinking since its so dark inside my case sitting on my desk that i might buy a red cold cathode or maybe a black light.
oh hell never though of putting the harddrives in that slot very clean"rearranges"
Old October 7, 2008, 01:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Updated case pics

Well I added 2 new components and this is what my computer looks like now. The GTX 280 is impressive piece of hardware and all I need to compliment this sytem is a faster motherboard and cpu to untap the seemginly endless amount of power left in the GTX280. Looking down road I am looking for an alternative cooling device for the GTX280 while the stock works very well it gets pretty noisy during 3dgaming, possible and only solution seems to be the Thermalright HR03 GTX at this point and time. I am also looking at adding a soundcard and if anyone could shoot me some possible alternatives to creative products ie. HT Omega. I would like to know "your" personal experiences with the striker series and if it would offer any improvement over my SoundMAX integrated sound.

Thanks for taking a look
Attached Images

Old October 7, 2008, 01:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

hmm EE.. sexy looking :P.. Very clean, nice cable management..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 7, 2008, 05:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

gotta love the poo fans
Old October 7, 2008, 06:01 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Wow...... even the backside where you hide cables and it's "supposed" to be fugly isn't. Nice weapon EE!
Old October 7, 2008, 07:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
gotta love the poo fans
Poo fans
Old October 12, 2008, 11:44 AM
MVP

Moved my system into a Cooler Master HAF 932. Gotta say, cable management isn't as easy as you'd think.

Plenty of space for left over cables though.

Note: Kids, don't try this at home! Cigarettes are very dangerous and should only be handled by adults!
  • I did the cigarette test on the fans, they suck smoke in and blow smoke out good.
Beauty Shots:

LED lights on:

Back side clean & tidy:

Welp, that went fast. What now? Trade itin for a Thermaltake Spedo??

:help:

boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's

Tags
case , custom , gallery , image thread