Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 2, 2008, 05:08 PM
MVP

Heheh, looking forward to seeing revised pics of you make any changes!

boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's
Old April 4, 2008, 10:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Decided it was time to slap up a quick shelf for scanner and receiver and swap my Technics SU-V6X for a Sansui G-4700. Also took this opportunity to clean off my desk as well as finally take some pictures of my primary desktop computer's current state.

You know, now that my display is lower it looks a lot smaller than before when you are directly in front of it. :/ I might just have to get a new display because of this. Can't adorn an LCD with ZIP disks, floppies and RAM though...
I keep getting the feeling that my desk is more artsy/sophisticated/high and mighty/nooby owner instead of it's previous somewhat non-artsy/down to earth/pwnage owner feel and look. :/ I probably have no idea what I am talking about. It feels more like a creative person's desk where everything has to look good instead of the previous non-creative, not looking good, covered in parts but still functional thing.
It seems as though it is not "me". Perhaps I can still rectify this with some carefully placed soldering equip, multimeter and some screwdrivers, tweezers, plastic poky&pry rods and such other tools to go with those two LED flashlights.
Nooks and crannies everywhere feels wrong, where are the boxy non-nook and cranny supporting desk space taking up things when you need them?

*sigh* I just can't win.

btw, since I took that picture I have moved the scanner's powercord into a far less noticeable position farther left than in any of the pictures I have taken.

I must admit, There really was not much of a cable reduction, mostly just the piles of screws, wires and other misc parts. Sure nice to get that scanner out of the way though, now the corner of my PowerBook does not have to slightly hang over the edge of my desk.

It is not fancy but I like it. A LianLi PC-G70 or INWIN Q500N would be nice however. Also need to get around to ordering a couple more Seagate Barracudas eventually too. And yes, I did use the space between the floppy drive and the optical drive for hiding a few wires. :P
About that fan sitting on my HD3850.. Uhh, well, I put it there when I was ocing just to be sure I was getting at least some airflow for my NB but it sits in there so nicely that I decided it should stay.

Care to guess one of the reasons I don't like my side panel? Nice logo just happened to come with it in the form of specifically arranged holes. >_>
Well, that and my case has crap airflow so leaving it open provides better temps. I must admit to liking being able to dig round inside it easily while it is running in addition to the others.

I have been thinking of watercooling as well, I could have a couple rads right above my PSU and isolate them from the rest of the case with a push-pull setup pushing air from my case's right to left side panels while still having room for at least a couple pumps and a large res if I wanted. Still have yet to cut out another spot for a fan in the front of the chassis though. Have to cut out a spot for an 80mm fan right behind the CPU cooler as well.
Good thing I finally found our dremel attachments. *hint hint* ;)

Now for some receiver pics.

Doing some "headbanging" after setup and checking out what kind of FM reception can be pulled off with no external antenna. That is right, 5 out of 8 signal bars for CBC radio 1! :) Puts the Pioneer in the living room to shame in this area.

And finally my speakers once you drag them out from under my desk. I keep them there because they are not shielded and there is just no room anywhere else for them. No matter, they were free and work just fine despite looking to be in less than optimal condition. If I crank the volume, despite being on some small paper booklets to prevent jumping around due to vibration they can still slightly vibrate my desk and the large old Data General power conditioner I use as a footrest. heh.

As for spes, well I think my current sig should suffice.
Celeron E1200 3.2Ghz w/ 400Mhz FSB (Freezer 7 Pro)
Asus P5K w/ P5KR 0403 BIOS
2GB (1GB x2) OCZ Platinum XTC Rev 2 DDR2-1000 5-5-5 15
500GB 7200.11 'Cuda SATA/250GB 7200.10 'Cuda PATA
Pioneer DVR-112D PATA
Radeon HD 3850 256MB (715Mhz|1035Mhz)
17" Dell D1028L @ 1280x1024
Antec Neopower 650 Blue
Generic(?) ATX server case (6x 5.25"/5x 3.5")
Sansui G-4700 receiver +2x 60w spks/Yamaha YST-M7

Those blue Xinruilian RDM8025BL4 fans there never seem to run at full speed when connected to the mobo IIRC so they are a bit dim. They don't seem that bad really and have been in use since around late 2005. Kind of have a droneish sort of sound to them but it is not all that loud. Buggers pick up dust faster than a hooker without protection picks up STDs though. Not too bad for around $5 each I suppose, have four of em. *shrug*

Don't have any pictures of my UPS but it is just some boring old APC. Nothing interesting.
With watercooling and better airflow as well as better CPU&GFX I could turn this thing into a nice sleeper rig. That might be amusing.
Not sure what else to say really.

*Edit
Wait, I thought of something to say.
Once I get around to getting some better thermal compound and lapping my CPU and possibly heatsink I was considering setting it up with a couple other fans instead of the stock ACF7P one. That would have to wait until I am done recording the temp difference with just the different thermal compound and after lapping though.

Last edited by MacJunky; April 4, 2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old April 7, 2008, 10:11 AM
Rookie

my rig. Put her together with a ninja rev b with all the stock fans and wasnt happy with the cooling (qx9650 that I give an OC to 3.6, 3.8) but it got way too hot, hitting in the 60C under load. So I took everything out, lapped an Extreme 120, cut some holes, added Scythe Ultra Kaze for exhaust and in a push pull with another 120 (blue one). Picked up 15C now so I can hit 4ghz at the same temp I would get 3.6. It was worth the extra time.
Attached Images

Old April 11, 2008, 01:31 AM
Top Prospect

Very Impressive stuff here, still trying to look through it all and do some catch-up
Well done Kids just keep your toys form blowing up lol jk=P
some humor is acceptable on these forums =)?!
anyways hopefully I will have a pic of my next build for you guys soon

Primu$
Old April 12, 2008, 05:33 PM
Rookie

kid at heart. I try to keep my 3 and 1 year old away from my electronic baby
Old April 12, 2008, 07:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Very nice Cosmos!!

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old April 14, 2008, 12:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I figured I would post some pics of my system here as well. Now first thing, I am very aware of the "cable management" issues in my case. I have thought of doing some cutting and re-routing but have decided that I'll just wait until I get either a new case or get rid of the 3 IDE hard drives. Those damn IDE cables are just evil to work with.

Here are a couple pics of the outside:

God I really need to get rid of those cables:

Here is my brand new EVGA 8800GT with the Akimbo cooler installed on it in the case:

Out of the case (After Akimbo install):

8800GT without a cooler:

Before Akimbo install:

And my current monitor setup:
Old April 17, 2008, 01:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thumbs up Eagle Eyes Case Pics and Setup

Well I thought I'd join the club of case pics and setups and post my shots now that I finally have new digicam *Canon Powershot 590IS* The girlfriend was so upset about her's breaking I broke down and got this at future shop. Well enough of that on to the pics.

Nothing spectacular like most of the system I've had a very contemporary look and thats the way I like it. The monitor is a BenQ FP241W it took me a day or so to get used to the size especially going from a 19" 4:3 to a 24" widescreen. I have DVD player hooked up via the HDMI port unfortunately it only upconverts to 1080i because I bought the dvd player before the monitor and was to cheap spend the extra $$$ to get the 1080p. The girlfriend and I watch alot Simpsons, Family Guy and movies and to go along with the monitor my Logitech Z5500 its nothing short of a compliment to this system sounds great watching movies, playing video games and listening to music.

I wish I could do more about the cables in the case but the NSK6850 is lacking in that department. No word of a lie there is probably about 5mm between the back cooler of the 8800GT Akimbo and the TR ultra 120 Extreme as you can see its pretty tight squeeze in there. Unfortunately due to my motherboard layout and the length of the 8800GT you would have seen a SLI configuration but for now just a single video card and a not to shabby one at that.

Thanks for taking a look,

EE
Attached Images

Old April 26, 2008, 08:27 PM
Rookie

What is your keyboard it is so nice !
Old April 27, 2008, 06:52 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractk View Post
my rig. Put her together with a ninja rev b with all the stock fans and wasnt happy with the cooling (qx9650 that I give an OC to 3.6, 3.8) but it got way too hot, hitting in the 60C under load. So I took everything out, lapped an Extreme 120, cut some holes, added Scythe Ultra Kaze for exhaust and in a push pull with another 120 (blue one). Picked up 15C now so I can hit 4ghz at the same temp I would get 3.6. It was worth the extra time.
Wow, 15 degrees is a LOT! You really only get load temps of 45 at 4ghz??

I touch 60C spikes with a Ninja Rev B on an E6750 at 3.8ghz load, and 1.5 cpu core! Mostly why I haven't pushed it farther. The cpu and scythe haven't been touched, and great contact patch with AS5 and Zalman STG1 goops. Extra fan speed really helped load temps but idle temps already about pinned even without a fan at all. Those Kaze are nice! I have one in a cheapo case, using the mobo to adjust fan speed and the thing is damn near silent yet still pumpes a #@$%load of air. At high speed, well lets just say I am not bothered too much by noisy systems! It would be unbearable as constant full speed, but at maybe around 30-40% it's tollerable.

My Antec P180 still impresses me at how silent it is when I have it in silent mode. With all the fans cranked (I have a few extra fans in it as well), it isn't exactly quiet any more but still quieter than most (considering the fans).

As much as I like the P180, I still get all bleary eyed when I see those Cosmos! I just have to get one of them... and be damned for disregarding the improved front intake on the newer model, I want the one like yours, with the door! It's quieter!

How many hard drives you have in it? Notice them running on the warm side? Pleased with it's silence? Any issues?

My biggest problem would be what to do with my P180, I couldn't part with it and am too happy with the cases I used in the two other systems I keep for my business -- so I can't really pass it down.

But I like the mobo tray, the look of hard drive rack system, and cable routing features of the Cosmos. Ever since I saw it for the first time, I've completely forgotten about the stoopid Stacker 830 I wanted.
boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's

Tags
case , custom , gallery , image thread